Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Raspberry-Fig Goat Cheesecake Bars

Before I get to the cheesecake, I just wanted to say thanks for all your comments on my tri posts!   My xray revealed no stress fracture or bone spur, so that is good news.  I got the go ahead to try a little bit of running again to see how things feel, so *fingers crossed* things will go alright!


Inspired by a frozen yogurt recipe, I had been waiting for the day that I would find both fresh figs and raspberries at the same time.  I liked the idea of this combination and knew it would be perfect on top of cheesecake!   I thought they turned out really well and hopefully we'll get some testers to speak up in the comments ;)


Raspberry-Fig Goat Cheesecake Bars
Recipe by Shannon
Yield:  9x13 pan, # will depend on how big you cut them!

There are a few steps to making this cheesecake, but the puree and crust can be made ahead!

For the Puree:
3.5oz fresh figs, halved (~1/2c)
4.5oz raspberries (~1c)
~2T evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)

For the crust:
1 sleeve low-fat graham crackers (or 4.5oz of your favorite variety)
1/2c rolled oats
2T evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
1/4c white whole wheat flour
3T butter, melted
4T almond milk (more if needed)

For the Cheesecake:
12oz goat cheese  (or 11oz, if that's the size of your package)
2-8oz pkg Nufatchel (1/3 less fat cream cheese)
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 1/2t vanilla
1 1/4c evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
4 eggs  (next time I might try 2 eggs and 1/2c egg whites)

For the fig puree, combine figs and raspberries in the bowl of a food processor (or blender).  Puree, taste, and add sugar 1T at a time.  Depending on how ripe the fruit is, the amount you add will vary.  Set aside.  (This makes ~3/4c)

For the crust, preheat oven to 350.   Combine graham crackers, oats, sugar, flour and butter in the bowl of a food processor (or blender).  Blend until finely ground.  Add milk and pulse until completely moistened, you may need more milk.

Pour the graham cracker mixture into a 9x13 pan sprayed with nonstick spray and press evenly into the bottom.   Bake for 10min, then cool on a rack for at least 20min.

For the cheesecake, reduce oven temp to 325.  Cream together goat cheese, cream cheese, lemon zest and juice and vanilla. Add in sugar in two additions, beating until mixture is creamy.  Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.  Continue to mix until very smooth.

Pour cheesecake mix into prepared crust and spread evenly.  Add the raspberry-fig puree on top of the cheesecake and swirl around using a knife.  There's no rhyme or reason, just get creative!  Bake 50-60min, until the edges look set and the center is a bit jiggly.  Cool completely in the pan.  Then cut into whatever sizes you prefer (I went with ~1" squares).

The original instructions said to refrigerate it for at least 6 hours before serving, but we enjoyed them pretty much right after baking...  I think everyone liked them anyways :)  They also hold up well in the freezer, and are tasty frozen, too!

26 comments:

brandi said...

oh my goodness. Goat cheese cheesecake with raspberries?!? I can never find figs, so I may just need to do the raspberries. But this looks killer.

glad to hear there's no stress fracture!!!

Adrienne said...

YUM! That looks wonderful, but WHERE oh where did you find fresh figs?? I feel like I've looked all over the place but clearly I have not.

Also, yay for your non-busted foot!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly said...

Dear lord...will you please come be my personal chef! What if I beg?

Unknown said...

I love that you used goat cheese! The best kind!

We Are Not Martha said...

I saw this on Elina's blog and swooned! Goat cheese, raspberries, and figs sound like pure heaven! And I can't even imagine these frozen... YUM!

Hope running goes OK... Glad it's not a stress fracture!!

Sues

Joanne said...

Woot woot! Stress fractures suck. You do NOT want one of those!

These bars. Do not suck. In fact they look GORGEOUS!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

HOLY YUM! This looks fantastic!!!

Alyssa said...

As an official tester, I can verify that these bars are DELICIOUS!!! Thank you Shannon:)

Lauren said...

Shannon, these cheesecake bars are gorgeous!!! Fantastic job :).

Adventures in Domestic Cooking said...

I've been wanting to try Goat Cheese!!

Erica said...

FABULOUS news that there is no stress fracture! And these bars? get out- I have never used goat cheese in a dessert. Looks so good. HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Figs? Raspberries? Goat cheese? Cream cheese? Yes, yes, yes, and yes. This looks AMAZING!!!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

I was lucky enough to be a tester - this cheesecake really is amazing so you all must go back to your kitchens and make it asap. Ok? ;)
... and I'm with Adrienne - where did you find fresh figs. I have so many recipes I've been wanting to make with figs!

Alisa said...

Wow, there is a whole lot of flavors going on in that dessert!

So glad to hear that the injury isn't major!

Rosiecat24 said...

Oh, Shannon, these sound AMAZING! I love idea of combining raspberries and figs together, but you know that I have the hardest time doing anything but eating my fresh fruit.

Also: yay for a healthy foot! I hope the running goes well for you. I'm stuck running on a treadmill in this insane heat--I miss sidewalks and grass!

Sarah said...

OMG! These definitely win today's award for most scrumptious title of a recipe! I am not a cheesecake fan, but the idea of raspberries, figs, and goat cheese swirled together on a crust is tantalizing!

Glad you had good feedback from the doctor!

Reeni said...

This is insanely delicious sounding Shannon! I'm glad all is well with your foot!

Kelly said...

Gorgeous. I saw these on Elina's blog and was waiting for you to post so I could comment. It sounds like a heavenly flavor combo. And good luck with your foot!

Jess said...

Wow that looks amazing! Was it to celebrate not having a stress fracture? :)

sophia said...

I'm glad the x-ray turned out okay, with no severe damage! I'm sure you'll heal soon then! And what better way to celebrate than to indulge in these amazing, fruity, cheesy, tangy bars!

Cara said...

I'm so sad I missed these! Must make it a point to meet up with you fabulous Boston bloggers soon!

Sophie @ yumventures said...

YUM!!!! These look AMAZING! =)

Esi said...

Fig and Cheesecake...yes please!

Natalie said...

wow what an incredible combination!! and they're so pretty!

Simply Life said...

oh wow, that looks great!

Kerstin said...

This is such a fabulous combo - I wish I could have tried a piece!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips