Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sunny Apricots

Apricot Cake

Doesn't that look like sunshine? :) Or maybe pillows... All this rain seems to be getting to me ;)

One way to brighten your day is to make this delightful cake to make with some fresh apricots! I made half the recipe in an 8" round pan. Instead of a mix of WWW and quinoa flour, I used a mix of mostly WW pastry and a little WW flour. I also used honey, and even though I accidentally added 1/4c yogurt (that was the original amount, not halved), I needed a little liquid to make the dough come together (I used Lactaid). I had ~1T chopped pistachios hanging out in my freezer, so they got tossed on top instead of almonds.

full frontal

I overcooked mine just a tad (or maybe could've used a bit more liquid), but it was still delicious. I opted for a drizzle of honey at the time of serving instead of a glaze. I'd highly recommend this for brunch or a not-to-sweet dessert! I'm sure any stone fruit (plums, peaches, nectarines, pluots, apriums... did i get them all?) would work well here :)

this is my good side

26 comments:

Esi said...

What a pretty cake!

Dewi said...

Gorgeous apricot tart. Love the wedges photos too. Seems like you had fun photographing this tart. I am sure it tasted delicious too.

Elina said...

This reminds me of a cake my mom makes, and I love it! I should ask her to make some for me as soon as my no-sugar challenge is over :) Meanwhile, I'm saving the recipe for this number. I think serving this for brunch sounds perfect!

♥peachkins♥ said...

This cake must taste heavenly!It's absolutely pretty!

Erica said...

GORGEOUS! I love the huge apricots peaking out of this cake.

Reeni said...

This looks delicious! I don't think I've ever had baked apricots before!

Kerstin said...

So pretty! I've never made an apricot cake before, what a good idea. Love the pretty pistachios on top too!

GF Gidget said...

Pretty! Love when things just sort of come together! Did your apricots end up chewy? Every time I bake with them it's like chewing a soccer ball!

Unknown said...

Katrina- nope, they were still soft :)

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I like the pistachios in combination with apricots, sounds delightful!

Bec said...

wow that cake looks gorgious!f

Jess said...

Ohhh yes. Yes, yes yes. I'm always up for apricots baked into anything. Thank you for a great new recipe to try.

Allyson said...

Oh apricots and pistachios might be my new favorite flavor combo! Now pretty cake, tomorrow trail mix, next week cookies? I think the possibilities are endless :)

Jess said...

Yum! I've seen a bread/pastry recipe for something similar.

Sagan said...

That looks beautiful- it DOES look like sunshine! Tasty. I like your alterations, too.

Pumpkin said...

I love apricots, honey and pistachios! The pictures are lovely- I want to reach into the computer and pluck out an apricot!

Anonymous said...

This would definitely brighten my day indeed! I love your addition of the pistachios instead of almonds...great burst of color!

Adam said...

You're right, that does look fantastic. I love the fruit and nut combo you put in there. I look forward to trying this with plums, which are my fave.

Aprims? Now that's a new one to me... but hey why not? :)

Hannah said...

Oh gorgeous! I'm dying for apricots to come back in season around here, and this cake is just too tempting.

brandi said...

that cake looks so good! and so pretty for summer.

pigpigscorner said...

Looks so pretty with the apricots on top!

Anonymous said...

Shannon - that looks so delicious!! Good job!

Char said...

Wow! I will need to try that. I have quinoa and have never used it. I need to do something with it..yum!

I like your food ideas, i will definitely be a follower..great blog!

Char

Anonymous said...

they look like little sunshine pillows of deliciousness!

test it comm said...

That apricot cake looks amazing! The chopped pistachios on top really do it for me.

Karine said...

I seldom see a baking recipe using apricot and yours looks so good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips