Friday, September 30, 2011

Tomato Jam

I don't think it's too late for this tomato recipe...  at least I hope not!  Quick, go buy some tomatoes and then come back :)



A bunch of field tomatoes from my CSA were sitting on my counter, giving me the evil eye for not using them.  I had to do something, and quick!  Dawn's Tomato Pie was almost the winner until the thought of a tomato jam couldn't get out of my head.

whole grain pita bites topped with goat cheese and tomato jam

It took awhile to cook the juicy red fruits down, but oh it was worth it!!  I fell in love immediately with this sweet and spicy jam and immediately started brainstorming things to do with it.

scrambled eggs with corn and tomato jam

Scrambled eggs with corn and tomato jam
Cheese and crackers with tomato jam
On sweet corn poundcake
On a sandwich...  egg and cheese or grilled cheese anyone?
As a savory cheesecake
Inside pop tarts!


sweet corn poundcake with tomato jam

Tomato Jam
adapted from the NY Times and food52
Yield:  ~2c

You can probably use whatever kind of tomatoes you have on hand or can find at the farmers market.  I just used field tomatoes - which are pretty juicy and took awhile to cook down.

3 to 3 1/2lb tomatoes, cored and chopped
1sm onion, diced (~1/2c)
zest & juice of 1 lemon
1/2c brown sugar
1 1/2c evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
1/4c cider vinegar
1/2t cinnamon
2t salt
1t cumin
1/2t coriander
1/8t cloves
red pepper flakes or cayenne, to taste

Combine all ingredients in a heavy sauce pan or stock pot.  Heat over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring often.  Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened and reached a jam-like consistency, 2-3hrs.

Transfer to sterilized glass jars and cool.  Can be stored in the refrigerator 1-2 weeks or use a hot-water canning bath for 15min for long-term storage.





What would you put this tomato jam on??

27 comments:

Ranjani said...

This is the one you brought to Elina's? It was delicious! I also made tomato preserves recently and I think they made a great addition to a cheese plate

Unknown said...

@Ranjani- yes, this was it :) I did see your honeyed tomato butter, sounds wonderful too!!

Kristen said...

I'd spread some on a nice crispy baguette and layer it with a musty cheese like gruyere. I love your ideas, too!

Anonymous said...

Oooh yum! It's like an ultra badass ketchup!

Erica said...

I'm a tomato FANATIC...I'd go nuts for this goodness! I love all of the suggested uses too

Natalie said...

i've never had tomato jam but i love anything tomato!! i love the different ideas of how to use it too!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living said...

I've been hoarding tomatoes before they go out of season, and this jam sounds like the perfect recipe to make with them! It must have been especially delicious on that sweet corn poundcake.

Emily @ A Cambridge Story said...

What a neat idea! I never would have thought to make this... I think it'd be great slathered on some bread with melty cheese!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Sweet corn pound cake? That sounds awesome.

Ricki said...

I've been wanting to make tomato jam for, well, years! I always wondered how it would be different from ketchup, actually. Would you say it's the spice, mostly?

Joanne said...

I've had this jam on my radar for a while now and I can't believe I haven't made it yet! You definitely found some awesome uses for it.

Elizabeth said...

Ha, I think you already know about ten things I"d put it on. Egg, cheese and tomato jam sandwich breakfast party!

Rosiecat24 said...

Oof, now I have ANOTHER reason to regret not having more space for more goodies from the hippie food store. Organic tomatoes were only $1.59! But mostly, I just like the phrase "tomato jam." It's fun to say!

Hope you are feeling settled into your new space, Shannon :-) Happy autumn!

Reeni said...

All summer I had it in the back of my head to make tomato jam! I want to try it on a burger or just off the spoon it look so good!

Kerstin said...

I've been waiting for this post - it was so yummy :)

Christine said...

My mom and I used to make tomato jam, and everyone else thought it was weird! It really is pretty tasty and I'm glad to see we're not the only ones who like it. I'd love some right now spread on toasted artisan bread.

Unknown said...

@Ricki- I'd say the spices and texture, more complex than ketchup :)

Kelly said...

I've always been intrigued by tomato jam. I had a friend who recently made some and incorporated it into a pizza. It was a fun twist. I've also seen a version with cinnamon incorporated into a savory/sweet bread pudding.

Unknown said...

@Kelly- Those both sound like amazing ideas!! I'll have to consider them before gifting the rest of my jam away :)

Miz said...

Interesting!
Ive never seen anything like this before and the husband is on a tomato tear for the lycopene.

Delicious Dishings said...

This was amazing! I'd definitely want to make a BLT with it!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

I didn't taste onions in this. Sweet. Possibly because it was dark and I was talking more than tasting. But I remember the cheesecake part was especially delicious :) I'm really into savory cheesecakes lately.

Vicki Bensinger said...

Shannon this sounds wonderful. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for sharing the link on my blog. I think it's always nice to have various recipes for the same thing to test.

Have a great day!

vanillasugarblog said...

Ohhh I would definitely use them on eggs.
and maybe inside a cheddar pop tart.

Peter said...

This recipe is really close to one I made up except using Hatch green chiles instead of tomatoes. I think I might do this as a combo of tomatoes and the green chiles. Thanks for your ideas and recipes.

Peter said...

This recipe is really close to one I made up except using Hatch green chiles instead of tomatoes. I think I might do this as a combo of tomatoes and the green chiles. Thanks for your ideas and recipes.

Peter said...

This recipe is really close to one I made up except using Hatch green chiles instead of tomatoes. I think I might do this as a combo of tomatoes and the green chiles. Thanks for your ideas and recipes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips