Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Pie

I'm no stranger to squash, and often find myself roasting one (or two!) a week all throughout the winter.  For this month's challenge, though, I wanted to break from my routine and come up with something a little more non-traditional.  Are you ready for it?



Yup, I put spaghetti squash in a dessert!  It's definitely not the first squash you'd pick to go over to the sweet side, but I remembered seeing one on the Today Show last two years ago so I knew it could be done.





I'd say this is like a custard pie, with the spaghetti squash providing just a little bit of texture (I might even try added 3c next time!).  I ran with the coconut theme, making it dairy-free and even more delicious.  An unusual but tasty treat ;)




Spaghetti Squash Pie
adapted from food for a hungry soul

I used coconut sugar here, which is more subtle on the sweetness scale than regular sugar.  This makes it perfect for a snack or dessert.  If you prefer your dessert a little sweeter, I'd suggest using 3/4c evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar).

1 can light coconut milk
6T white whole wheat flour  (oat flour would work well here to keep it grain-free)
1/2c coconut sugar *see head note
2t baking powder
1/4t salt
4 eggs
1t vanilla extract
1/2t coconut extract (optional)
2c cooked spaghetti squash
roasted coconut, for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 350deg.

Add all ingredients except for squash and roasted coconut to a blender and blend until well combined and smooth, 1-3min.  Pour into a bowl and stir in squash, making sure that it's evenly distributed.  Pour into a 9 or 10" pie plate.  Bake for 50-60min, or until the top is browned and a knife comes out clean (insert it in the middle of the pie).  It may still be jiggly in the middle (my usual test), and that's ok.  Cool on a wire rack.

Garnish with roasted coconut if desired, or serve with whipped coconut cream.




Thanks again to Natasha & Laz for hosting!  How do you like your spaghetti squash??

20 comments:

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

That is different and I am sure tasty.

angela@spinachtiger said...

That's creative and I'm sure healthy too.

Faith said...

What a great use for spaghetti squash!! I just made a butternut custard pie last weekend which was a huge hit so I'd love to try this one next!

Cara said...

I've done the sweet spaghetti squash thing too! I used spaghetti squash to make a sweet apple & raisin kugel, in place of regular noodles. It was a big hit :) I'm sure this is too!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Very original idea my dear and I totally support the coconut milk choice. Sounds really good.

We Are Not Martha said...

Whoa I absolutely LOVE this idea!! Would never have even thought of it, but now I feel like I need to try it!

Sues

Kelly said...

Yum. Love that you gave it the unexpected sweet treatment.

Kerstin said...

I've never seen a sweet spaghetti squash recipe - love this!

Joan Nova said...

Cool idea to use the spaghetti squash in a pie. Judging by the ingredients, I'm sure it tasted good.

Anonymous said...

Very cool to explore the sweet side of spaghetti squash! Wonderful with the coconut flavor.

Joanne said...

I love how you're never afraid to dabble with the unfamiliar! This pie sounds fabulous!

Natalie said...

you're blowing my mind with these fantastically creative recipe!

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

Spaghetti squash in a pie?! Hmmmmm... I'm definitely intrigued. It looks good though!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story said...

So creative! Although pumpkin and squash are pretty much the same thing so I don't know why more people haven't gotten fancy with squash in desserts. Looks fabulous!

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen said...

I definitely wouldn't have thought to put spaghetti squash in a pie, but it looks really good!

Sacha said...

If it has squash in it, it's bound to be good. I was also just trying to catch up a little, and that apple BBQ sauce from September looks so delicious--especially with those turkey meatballs. Happy fall!

Unknown said...

How interesting--a sweet spaghetti squash pie! I love the idea and it looks delicious.

Hannah said...

What an innovative recipe! For as many ways as I've seen spaghetti squash cooked, it's never been a sweet dish, let alone a spectacular pie. This looks like a must-try.

Lori Lynn said...

Coconut + squash is an interesting pairing, sounds delicious.
Very creative contribution to the makeover Shannon! Love the outside-the-box thinking...
LL

Tasty Trix said...

I have never seen spaghetti squash used in this way! Very interesting twist!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips