Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Salty Apple Shortbread


You guys.

These cookies.

You need to make them!



I knew Dawn was onto something with her salty apple shortbread.  I immediately wanted to make them, and knew I needed to add honey and cheese.  It took three tries to get the recipe right, but man, it was worth it!




Salty Apple Shortbread w/Honey & Gruyere
adapted from evil shenanigans & vanilla sugar
yield:  16-24, depending on how you cut them

The key here is to use a pan that is large enough so they don't come out too thick and cake-like.  The balance of flavors here is also delicate-- cave-aged gruyere was a little too strong, and clover honey was too mild to taste.

7 1/4oz whole wheat pastry flour
2T arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
1/3c sugar
3/4c cold butter, cut into cubes
2oz mild cheese, grated (TJ's gruyere/cheddar blend was perfect)
1t kosher salt
3T wildflower honey (or similar)
3/4c tart sweet apple, finely chopped (honeycrisp or pink lady)
fleur de sel, or other flaky sea salt, to taste

Heat the oven to 350deg.

To the bowl of a stand mixer, add flour, arrowroot, sugar, butter, gruyere, salt and honey.  Fit the mixer with the paddle attachment and blend on low speed.  When the mixture is just about to come together, add in the apples and continue mixing until a dough forms.  Transfer the dough to a 9 or 9.5" quiche/tart pan (or springform pan) and press down evenly into the pan.  Sprinkle with flaky salt.

Bake for 30-35min, until the edges are browned and the center almost set.  Cool completely in the pan, and then lift them out via removable bottom (or spring-loaded sides).  Cut into bars or wedges using a sharp knife.





Sweet.  Salty.  I can't get enough!!

17 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

addicting right?
that sweet & salty gets me every time!
this looks good Shan!

In and Around Town said...

YUM! I have yet to make shortbread cookies, but with that type of endorsement, I need to get on these soon!

Michelle Collins said...

I also just posted about a salty-sweet dessert today! I love the combination of sea salt with sweet desserts.

Kelly said...

These sound delicious. Who doesn't love a salty sweet dessert especially when there is some savoriness in the mix.

Biz said...

That looks amazeballs Shannon! Thanks for sharing. :D

Natalie said...

i am LOVING sweet and salty everything! this sounds fantastic!

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

This looks really awesome. Pinning it to make later. I love the cheese with the apples - a perfect combination!

Hannah said...

Such a creative blend of sweet and savory! I rarely think to make shortbread since I'm a big fan of soft, chewy cookies, but the texture seems particularly well-suited to the flavor combination. Perfect to pair with tea or coffee after a meal!

Delicious Dishings said...

I love sweet/salty/savory like this. Nice job!

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen said...

Sweet and salty things are SO addicting for me. I can't get enough!

Joanne said...

I am STILL craving these! So glad you posted the recipe!

Sacha said...

These sound absolutely amazing and just my cup of tea!

Erica said...

Seriously- I adore shortbread. I never make it because I know I'll chow it down ;).

Emily @ A Cambridge Story said...

Love the salty/sweet combo! What an interesting dessert!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I love apples and cheese, and I love shortbread, so I have no doubt that I will be all over this! It sounds amazing!

BigAppleNosh said...

Oh goodness - salty and sweet is my favorite! This sounds amazing!

Kerstin said...

These were just incredible! And A's favorite cookie of the exchange - glad I can make them again for him now :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips