Monday, July 12, 2010

Radishes

I was lucky enough to receive part of a lab-mates CSA share when she was going out of town!  Amidst the spring onions, kale and parsley lay a small bunch of radishes.  Hmm...  last I remembered I didn't like them, but I was determined to give them another try.

My first bite was of one freshly washed.   Bite, indeed!  If I was going to like them, it wasn't going to be raw :)  I roasted half of the bunch in a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and while it didn't quite have the same bite, it wasn't anything I'd do again.

My last ditch effort was a radish dip I found online.  Combined with feta and some other goodies from the CSA (onions and parsley), the radishes almost disappeared into this light and refreshing dip!   As a dip for veggies or pita chips, even as a topping for a burger, I really enjoyed it :) 



Radish Dip
adapted from A Veggie Venture & Farmgirl Fare

4oz radishes, washed, trimmed & quartered
1/2c sliced spring onions
1/4c (or more) parsley
2oz Nufatchel (1/3 less fat cream cheese)
2oz feta
1/2T lemon juice/zest
1/4t salt
fresh ground pepper

Add radishes, onions and parsley to bowl of a food processor.  Pulse until everything is finely chopped.  Add rest of ingredients and process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl.  Taste and adjust seasonings.



Are you a radish lover or hater??  Favorite way to eat radishes?

20 comments:

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

What a great idea! I normally use them in salads - but this dip looks fantastic!

Emily said...

Yum, this looks so good! I love radishes but always forget to buy them.

Joanne said...

When in doubt - puree. I like the way you think. I'm not such a radish fan either but I think even I could handle them this way!

Lauren said...

Never liked 'em, but it's been years since I last tried a radish. Perhaps my taste buds have matured!

Simply Life said...

what a great idea! I honestly wouldn't know what to do with a radish!

Sophie @ yumventures said...

I have just heard about roasting radishes. I always want to eat them like the french with butter and salt, but I just can't handle the taste! If you didn't like roasting them either, hmm...must find a way to like them more!

brandi said...

ooh, great idea to make the dip!

i love radishes on Mexican dishes - especially tacos and made into a salsa with avocados!

Kelly said...

I have to admit, I am SO not a radish girl. They always look adorable at the farmers' market and then I remember I don't really like the taste.

Natalie said...

I've never cooked with radishes but I love them! I'm going to remember this and try to pick some up at the farmers market sometime!

Cara said...

I don't eat a lot of radishes but I got a total craving last week to put them in a salad. They really do add a nice bite!

Anonymous said...

I guess I never thought of roasting radishes before, but I love the bite of raw radishes.

I mostly just put them in salads for some extra crunch, and make sure they don't go near my husband - he hates them! :D

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly said...

I love radishes...although I will say the only way I have ever had them is raw in a salad! I am obviously not very adventerous!

Rosiecat24 said...

You lucky duck, getting part of a CSA share! That's fantastic. I love radishes for the same reason you hate them: their raw heat and their earthiness. I love them with butter and salt a la Orangette or in a salad topped with roasted potatoes and spicy peanut dressing. I've also been known to just slice and eat them straight.

I applaud your efforts to make the radishes work for you, Shannon!

Faith @ LovelyAsCharged said...

I honestly don't ever remember buying radishes! I think a dip or spread is the way to go when you've got a semi-icky ingredient - blending it into spices and spreading it over something kind of helps to mask any unlovable taste IME.

Alisa said...

I'm with you on the raw radishes - do not like them. I don't mind them roasted though, especially when added to a cold salad. They seem to contrast well. Your dip sounds great - I may have to try it without dairy!

Elina said...

They definitely have a bite to them. I could see how the salty feta could distract your taste buds. :)

Erica said...

Ow- free CSA? How fun is that! I haven't really had radishes on their own- mostly mixed into salads. Not sure how I'd like them alone? But they sound great in a dip. I'm all for anything involving feta

Lizzy said...

I just got radishes in my CSA- will have to try this!

Kerstin said...

Nice job finding a way to enjoy them :) That's the fun part about CSAs - the challenge of using everything!

beet-red said...

yessss I've gotten radishes in my farm share for the past MONTH and I need a new way to eat!! My favorite is french bread with some butter, sliced radishes and salt. So simple and sooo good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips