Monday, July 26, 2010

Raspberry Peach Cake


A couple of weekends ago I went raspberry picking with a friend of mine.  We got there bright and early to beat the heat, but unfortunately didn't find buckets of raspberries.  Alot of them had already been picked and a bunch more were unripe or moldy.  Luckily it wasn't a complete loss, as I left with three 1/2pints full of luscious red rubies!



On the drive to the farm, we were discussing our plans for the bounties we thought we'd be bringing back.   My friend mentioned a cake that she had made before that she liked that paired raspberries with peaches.  Mmm, peaches.   Sounded like a winner to me!



When I saw the first local peaches from Marshall's Fenway Farmstand, I exactly what I was going to do :)   I adapted the recipe a bit, but ended up with a delicious cake that was light yet hearty.   A perfect summer dessert, I absolutely loved it!


Raspberry Peach Cake
adapted from Fine Living

3oz (1/2c+2T +2t) oat flour (just ground oats)
3oz white whole wheat flour
1t baking powder
1/4t baking soda
1/4t salt
1/2-1t cinnamon (to taste)
4T butter
1/2c brown sugar
1/4c evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
2 large eggs
2T unsweetened applesauce
1/2t almond extract
2/3c greek yogurt
1 small peach, thinly sliced
3/4c raspberries
1t evaporated cane juice
2t white whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 350.  In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flours through cinnamon).

In a mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until fully incorporated.  Add applesauce and almond extract.

Fold in half of the dry ingredients, the the yogurt, and finally the rest of the dry ingredients.  Pour into an 8" cake pan sprayed with nonstick spray.   Shake the pan to spread out the batter.  Bake for 15min.

While the cake is baking, combine the topping ingredients (peaches, raspberries, sugar and flour) and lightly toss together so the flour and sugar get absorbed by the fruit.  After 15min in the oven, remove the cake and top with the berry mixture.  Return to the oven and bake 25-30min more.

Cool the cake for 15min in the pan on a cooling rack.  Remove from pan (you'll have to flip it twice, so the fruit is on top) and serve with a dusting of powdered sugar or a scoop of your favorite ice cream!

22 comments:

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

oooh I love that you went berry picking!!!!

Sarah said...

Beautiful cake. I love simple cakes like that, stuffed with fruit. I'm jealous of the raspberry picking, I missed fruit picking this year. I have small hopes to maybe pick peaches still, we'll see. Raspberries are so delicate, what is it like to pick them?

Esi said...

You know I'm all about the simple cake. Love the use of summer fruit here.

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

love this cake! and i hope youre enjoying your summer shannon!

btw sometimes i try to click off my reader and comment on your blog and for whatever reason, i get shutout and the blog says it's private?!

anyway just my glitch im sure on my end but didnt want you to think im ignoring you :)

Lauren said...

Gorgeous cake! I love the pairing of peaches and raspberries - tasty and beautiful.

brandi said...

yum, yum, yum. I LOVE raspberries and peaches together. This looks great, and I love that you used oat flour! I think it's awesome in baked goods (especially homemade biscuits).

Kelly said...

Gorgeous. I missed berry picking this year and it doesn't quite seem like summer without it. I will say that raspberries and peaches together are one of my all time favorite combos.

Delicious Dishings said...

Shannon, this looks amazing! I love the raspberry peach combo, and the cake itself definitely looks light and sweet!

P.S. I'm thinking maybe I got half-pints of black raspberries, not pints... and they were $4 each... kind of pricey but worth it!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

This cake looks beautiful! I wish I could get into baking more, especially with all of these local fruits available to us, but the summer heat makes me stay away!

sophia said...

wow...how can something so gorgeous and scumptious be so good for you, too? a cake of rubies!

Reeni said...

Raspberries and peaches are a delicious combo! The cake looks lovely!

Joanne said...

Raspberry picking sounds like fun! And this cake looks totally droolworthy...raspberries and peaches are a match made in heaven.

Elina said...

We were at a raspberry picking farm this weekend and I really wanted to go back and get pints and pints of berries so I could bake away but we ran out of time. I love the pairing of raspberries and peaches. I'm sure this was delicious. :)

Alyssa said...

The berries and cake look gorgeous!

Jess said...

Yum! I keep meaning to bake with fruit, but the chocolate always wins.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly said...

This looks heavenily!!! WOW!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

What a beautiful cake! Peaches and raspberries go so well together...and your cake is proof of that, it looks amazing! Now just cut me a big piece!!

Cara said...

That looks so summery and delicious, I love the fruit combo. yum!

Sophie said...

SO GOOD!! YUM!

Natalie said...

love that this uses oat flour and whole wheat flour...that means you can eat it for breakfast ;)

Lizzy said...

I just posted an adaptation of this cake, thanks so much for posting this! Delicious! (And I never used Oat Flour before- all you do is just ground up oats, right?)

Kerstin said...

What fabulous pictures and such a lovely cake! The peach and raspberry combo sounds just perfect.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips