Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Eggs

Dear Mom & Dad-

I made you some crunchy peanut butter eggs for your easter basket.

What I didn't realize is how they start to melt as soon as they're out of the fridge, so I don't think they'll make it home.   It's not because they're so delicious I couldn't stop eating them...

I'll make it up to you, promise!

Love,
Shannon


When I saw Dawn's chocolate PB eggs w/crunchy filling, two thoughts immediately came to mind.  1.  I must make these.  2.  Why didn't she use pretzels instead of panko breadcrumbs?  As the queen of all things sweet and savory, I was a little surprised Dawn didn't use them herself. 

FTC Disclosure:  Pure Dark slab received as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program

Scientific method-style, a side-by-side comparison of prezels versus panko was warranted.   It was a tough job, but somebody had to do it ;)  The pretzels made for a sturdier filling that was easier to work with and had a more substantial crunch, they happened to be the ones I preferred.  The panko filling was a bit softer, but did have a good uniform crunch.  Panko or pretzels, you won't be disappointed!

I figured an easter bunny was the best judge ;)   Pretzel on the left, panko on the right

Crunchy PB Eggs
slightly adapted from Vanilla Sugar 
Yield:  ~16 small eggs

1 1/2c crunchy PB (as per Dawn's suggestion, I used WF organic crunchy)
2T powdered sugar (may want a bit more if using dark chocolate)
1/2c coarsely crushed pretzels (I used TJ's Multi Grain Pretzel Nuggets)
sea salt, to taste (I used a good pinch)
4oz chocolate, your choice milk or dark (I used a 70% dark chocolate)*

*You may need more of this depending on the size of your eggs and how thick your coating is, but I found this to be enough.

Add peanut butter, powdered sugar, pretzels and salt to a medium bowl or tupperware container.  Mix well, then taste and add more sugar if it's not sweet enough for you or more salt.  Cover well and refrigerate overnight (or a few hours) until mixture has hardened.

Form rounded tablespoon-fulls of peanut butter mixture into oval (egg) shapes and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Place formed eggs in refrigerate while you melt the chocolate.

Coarsely chop chocolate and place into a small bowl.  Set the bowl over a small saucepan with a bit of simmering water.  Allow the chocolate to melt, and stir to make sure it is smooth.

When you're ready, dip your peanut butter eggs in the chocolate.  I used two forks for this, turning the eggs over to make sure they're well coated in chocolate before returning them to the parchment lined cookie sheet.  Repeat with remaining eggs, melting more chocolate if you're running low.  My apartment was too warm to set the eggs (why did they turn on the heat again??  boo), so I popped them back in the refrigerator to harden.

Feel free to trim off any chocolate edges or drips from the sides of the eggs with a sharp knife if you like!  I need to keep mine stored in the fridge, but (again) that might be a function of my apartment.


Edited to add:  If you want these to keep these at room temperature, it's probably better to temper the chocolate, as Megan suggested in the comments.  Try these links from Dave Lebovitz and Serious Eats for the way I learned to temper chocolate...  and apparently forgot :)



Are you making any treats this weekend (Easter or otherwise)??

20 comments:

Amanda - Small Home Big Start said...

Those look so good! I love making Easter treats :)

Kelly said...

Yum. This sounds very tasty. I love the sound of the pretzel version. I bet as a change it would also be good with some roasted peanuts in the mix.

Joanne said...

come to think of it, why DIDN'T dawn use pretzels? Huh. Strange.

I can understand why they didn't make it to your parents. This warm weather we've been having these days..."melting" is a real issue. :P

Meghan@travelwinedine said...

We aren't doing much for Easter, sadly, as I have yo go home next weekend for my nephew's christening. These treats look delish!

Delicious Dishings said...

Unfortunately you have to temper the chocolate or it just starts melting again. It's a lot of work but worth it in this case. I'm sure your parents loved them either way. Such a great idea... and I bet I would love the filling with the pretzels.

Ricki said...

I know I'd love those--either one! I rue the day I had to stop eating peanut butter. . . :(

But not sure why the chocolate would melt once it was set if it didn't melt when still in the package? I find my chocolate gets melty if I add coconut oil, but just plain chocolate should be solid.

Biz said...

Love the note to your parents - just more for you, right?!

Happy Easter Shannon - my MIL is making strawberry pie - yum!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Happy Easter! These homemade versions look better than the store-bought versions. I especially love the picture with the little bunny!

Elizabeth said...

I was standing in trader joe's today and thought of making these exact things, except I didn't think to make them egg shaped. I totally need to do it.

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living said...

I saw the crunchy pb eggs on Dawn's blog, and immediately bookmarked the recipe. Now I must bookmark these as well! I love that you did a side-by-side comparison :). Chocolate, peanut butter, and pretzels are such a fantastic flavor combination!

Erica said...

I thought Dawn's idea was SO genius! I never even considered making Easter candy at home!! I made cookies & brownies for Easter. I'm also in charge of pulled pork and vegan baked beans! Happy Easter

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

They look so delicious - i love the sweet and salty combo. Hope to make these soon :)

Unknown said...

Joanne- hehe, must just be my apartment ;)

Megan- you're right, I should've thought of that!! thanks!

Katie Mar said...

changing the recipe to pretzels is such a good idea!!!
yummm!! it's too bad they melted.. you should probably just eat them instead ;)

Nutmeg Nanny said...

These little treats look amazing! I'm sorry they started melting but sure sound amazing!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Shannon these sound addictively wonderful. This is my first visit to your blog and I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Shannon said...

I made these too but with white chocolate (it's my favorite)! SO GOOD. Love the addition of pretzels... chocolate covered pretzels are addicting! So chocolate, peanut butter and pretzels all in one?! I have no words.

Jess said...

I made cookies with Cadbury mini eggs in them yesterday, post Easter. I sure ate lots of treats on Easter.

Kerstin said...

Such a great idea to add the pretzels! These sound like the very perfect Easter treat :)

Unknown said...

These are super cute! And I gotta say, I love the salty/savory combination of pretzels and chocolate any day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips