Thursday, April 21, 2011

PPB Burritos

If you follow me on twitter, you may have already caught this idea.  In case you missed it, I wanted to share :)


There was a little place two blocks from my apartment in Philly where I discovered this little gem of a burrito. Slow cooked pork, fried sweet plantains, and black beans in a warm tortilla blanket. 



PPB Burritos
inspired by Pico de Gallo

Not so much a recipe, but how I recreated these at home.  Crunched for time, I took all the shortcuts- bottled BBQ sauce, frozen sweet plantains and canned black beans.  Feel free to use homemade versions to take it up a notch!

Pulled Pork (or chicken, or tofu):  I used pork tenderloin done in the slow cooker, the pulled and tossed with BBQ sauce (bottled or your own)
Sweet Plantains:  I used Goya's from the frozen section, cooked according to package directions (but you can make these with ripe, black plantains)
Black Beans:  I used canned, but if you have the time feel free to use some you've soaked and cooked up yourself
Whole Wheat tortillas

Now, make an assembly line and make your burritos!  Warm the tortillas to make them a little more pliable (15sec in a wet paper towel in the microwave should do the trick).  Then add some beans, pulled pork, and top with plantains.  Do the burrito fold, wrap them in foil, and you'll have them ready to take to work :)  To reheat the burritos, I used my toaster oven at work, set to 350 for probably 15min, but you can also use a microwave.

(For 4 burritos I used 10oz pork tenderloin, 1 pkg sweet plantains, 1 can of beans.  Feel free to play around with proportions!)


Are you a fan of sweet plantains?  Definitely underutilized in my kitchen, they're delicious!!  And I bet they'd be a bit healthier if I made them myself...

20 comments:

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I sincerely adore every ingredient in this burrito!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story said...

Plantains inside?! What a fantastic idea!!

Delicious Dishings said...

This sounds absolutely wonderful. I do love plaintains.

Faith @ lovelyascharged said...

I absolutely love plantains! I bet they'd be a perfect sweet addition to a burrito!

Bex said...

"Do the burrito fold" makes it sound like the burrito fold is a dance number. I am giggling at my desk imagining it. :-)

Jen said...

I've never had a burrito with plantains inside. I actually have some plantains but they're not quite black yet, still yellow... I was just wondering what we would do with them. Maybe we'll have to make these!

vanillasugarblog said...

these are perfect for a day full of work. i would eat these with an egg and be good to go.

Cooking Gallery said...

I love burritos and plaintains in burritos sounds awesome!

Joanne said...

Oh I am so enamored. I need to change my dinner plans for the week.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food said...

ohhh my gosh that looks absolutely AMAZING! I love pulled pork but its' the plantains that do it goodness me. :)

Reeni said...

These look amazing! And so timely - I have plantains. Yay!

We Are Not Martha said...

Now I'm totally craving plantains! I really don't get them enough... This looks awesome!

Sues

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living said...

This sounds like a fantastic combination of flavors! I do love plantains, but have never actually cooked with them at home. These burritos are certainly incentive enough to do so!

Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete said...

Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl those look SCRUMPTIOUS! Noms!

brandi said...

i love plantains! these sound so good.

Erica said...

owwwwwwwww! Love! Plantains are amazing. And I never thought to put them in a burrito- just perfect. Hope you have a great weekend :)

Cara said...

oh, yum. Pass me one of those, please!

Natalie said...

I've only had plantains a few times but these burritos sound awesome!

Kelly said...

Yum. I LOVE plantains so these sound incredibly heavenly to me.

Kerstin said...

You know plantains are my favorite :) These look SOOO yummy, I want one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips