Saturday, May 23, 2009

Egg Rolls

After having jicama a few times, I had thought about using to make egg rolls. Why? I'm not really sure, as they're not something I've eaten more than a handful of times. Paired with some broccoli slaw from the store and baked tofu, I really liked my rendition! To boost the protein content, I made an avocado dip that turned out amazing, if I do say so myself ;)

Sauteed Broccoli Slaw & Jicama

Egg Rolls w/Tofu, Jicama & Broccoli Slaw
Recipe by Shannon
Yield: 9 rolls



1 block of tofu, sliced and pressed
9 egg roll wrappers
~1c jicama, cut into matchsticks
1/2-3/4 pkg broccoli slaw
2 scallions, sliced
1/4c water
1-2T soy sauce (I used a scant 1T)
1T cornstarch

Marinate tofu in your favorite marinade (I used a honey balsamic one, overnight in the fridge). Bake at 425 ~15min/side until nicely browned. (I'd try not to get it super crispy like I did!) When cool, cut each slice into 3-4 lengthwise (to resemble matchsticks). This can be done ahead, just refrigerate until assembling the egg rolls.

Heat ~1T canola oil in pan over med-high heat. Add Broccoli slaw, cook down a few minutes until starts to wilt (but still has a slight crunch). Combine water and soy sauce, stir in cornstarch. Add sauce, 3/4 jicama, and scallions to slaw. Stir to coat and let heat through. Remove from heat and add the rest of the jicama (I did this to make sure some stayed crunchy, but in the end I couldn't tell which was which. So I guess I'd add it all in at once next time!). This can also be done ahead of time as well.

Preheat oven to 400deg. To begin assembling egg rolls, lay out the wrappers. Add 3 slices tofu then top with ~2T slaw. Roll up like an egg roll (or try to!). Spray pan with cooking spray, add egg rolls, seam side down, and spray the top of the rolls. Bake 8-10 min. Flip over and bake an additional 5-7min. They should be nice and crispy! Let cool, then serve with an avocado dip (see below) or your favorite dipping sauce!


Avocado Dip


1/2 avocado
1/3c cottage cheese or greek yogurt
juice of 1/2 lime
~1t Daregal fresh frozen cilantro (or fresh)
dash hot sauce (to taste)
s/p to taste

Blend all ingredients using your device of choice-- I picked my hand blender, but a small food processor would work too! Serve alongside egg rolls or your favorite chips.

28 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

I like the inside stuffing too. Knowing me I would have added in some heat and ginger.
But that last shot of the crispy outside...killlller chica.

Reeni said...

These look great dipped into that avocado dip! I bet the flavor combinations were just delicious!

Erica said...

They sound and look just amazing! You know I love jicama and I bet it would be a fabulous addition to an egg roll. YUM!

Anonymous said...

those definitely look like something I'd enjoy!! jicama broccoli slaw TOFU....in a wrap?! plus avocado dip? WHAT?!!!

perfect summer food too!! sounds light and freshhhhh!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie said...

mmm, baked egg rolls, fabulous!

pigpigscorner said...

I love rolsl1 I can wrap whatever I want in it...yours look really good! I've never heard of jicama, wonder how it tastes like.

Sharon said...

Oh wow, those look mighty tasty!!

HangryPants said...

Those really look delicious and I am sure would not make me feel disgusting like restaurant egg rolls!

Anonymous said...

love the avocado dip. I think that will be the next way I try avocadoes.
your egg rolls reminds me of popiah, a sort of crepe in SE Asia...they also put cooked jicama in there...with boiled eggs, peanuts, chili and hoisin sauce!

Anonymous said...

Wow Shannon! Another example of your amazing creativity in the kitch!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

i love the stuffing!!! It might work on rice papers too! :D

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

oh man... those look really good!

Kerstin said...

Awesome egg rolls! Dipping them in your avocado dip sounds like the perfect way to enjoy them!

Where did you get the egg roll wrappers? I've been looking for them, but can't find any.

We should make a picnic lunch and eat outside sometime :)

Joanne said...

I love the idea of jicama egg rolls! What a great variation from cabbage. AND avocadoes are a serious love of mine. Yum!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tip on the 2%...I think I'll give that a try :-)

Dewi said...

Delicious egg rolls. This is always a nice treat to have.

Sagan said...

Yummy! Funny, I was just thinking about posting a healthier version of spring rolls the other day. You beat me to it hehe. Your recipe sounds delicious.

Pam said...

The egg rools look really tasty and the dip sounds delicious too.

healthy ashley said...

You just convinced me what I'm having for dinner. Not even kidding!

Lauren said...

Shannon - these sound AWESOME! I like the idea of baking the egg rolls to achieve a crunch without tossing them into hot oil ;) I love all of the ingredients in the filling, and the avocado dip sounds like the perfect accompaniment. I WILL be making these!

Bec said...

you just bake the egg rolls? i need to make these then!

Anonymous said...

Delicious egg rolls, great idea to bake! The avocado dip sounds excellent!

carla said...

hope you had a great weekend.

love,
a woman who really plans to some day use her jicama for more than Operation Slice To Piehole.

Emily said...

Using jicama in an egg roll sounds very unique! You're on to something for sure.

Looks great!

Adam said...

Great use of the ingredients there. With tofu and jicama, you have a group of super friends :)

And nice job on that crisp outside, which is totally killer.

Maria said...

Nice rolls and I really want some of that avocado dip!

Kelly said...

Yummy. I've never made baked egg rolls in the oven using the egg roll skins. I've used rice paper wrappers before and tortillas, but those look extra nice and crispy. Good job.

Pumpkin said...

I love jicama- the texture is the best, crisp and crunchy. Yum. Usually I just eat it raw, but it's so similar to water chestnuts that I'll bet it's killer in egg rolls!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips