Monday, June 21, 2010

Pasta!

Over 3 hours of swimming, 28 miles of cycling and 8 miles of running in less than 48 hours made an amazing training weekend on Cape Cod!   Needless to say that didn't leave any time for cooking!  Instead I'll share some photos from the pasta class I took in Florence.   Carbohydrates are the body's primary energy source, so it's not that random ;)


When we arrived at the kitchen, flour, eggs and water were measured out for us to begin.  We got started quickly, as we were preparing 3 different pastas with 3 sauces in 3 hours!

First came the egg pasta, then another made with water.  After thorough mixing, our dough was set to rest and we got started on the accompaniments!  Our group was in charge of the filing for the ravioli-- roasted eggplant and ricotta, yum!


Time to roll out!  Determining the correct texture for the pasta was definitely the trickiest part, and will take the most practice at home.  Luckily the instructor was there to help and kept checking in on us as we took turns rolling it out with rolling pins and a hand-cranked pasta roller.


From the sheets of egg pasta we rolled out, we made fettucine and ravioli.  We used the pasta machine to cut the fettucine, while the ravioli were prepared and cut by hand.


The water-based dough was used to make orecchiette, one of my favorite shapes!  I tried to get a photo of how this was made, but the instructors' hands moved too quickly!  After a little practice I managed to get the hang of the technique used to make these little ears :)


Time for lunch couldn't come soon enough, and luckily fresh pasta cooks fast!  Our eggplant-ricotta ravioli was served with a butter sage sauce, the fettucine with a ragu, and the orecchiette with a fresh tomato-basil sauce.


Everything was absolutely delicious, and it was easy to keep eating!  Recipes and tips will come when I make it myself.  The class was a little rushed for 3 hours, but we learned lots of great tidbits of information from our enthusiastic instructor!


Have you ever made fresh pasta?  Do you have a favorite shape?

19 comments:

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

Love that homemade pasta! I have only attempted gnocchi before and it was delish!

We Are Not Martha said...

Everything looks fabulous! I took a pasta making class and have all the equipment ready to go. And it WILL happen within the next few weeks :) Of course, it won't be anything like in Italy :)

Great training weekend for you too!!

Sues

Joanne said...

First of all. Your weekend sounds insane! You are a MACHINE.

Second of all, I can't believe you made all this pasta! It all looks amazing. I've only ever made ravioli and linguine from scratch. maybe orecchiette will be next! You've inspired me.

Lauren said...

Yowzah x 2!

Sounds like an intense training weekend - I bet it was gorgeous out on the Cape. I'm going in a few weeks and couldn't be more excited!

The pasta making class was such a fabulous idea. I have made fettuccine at home, and the main problem I ran into was where to dry it in our tiny kitchen. I ended up draping fresh pasta all over our dining table and chairs! I've since purchased a pasta drying rack, so I think it's high time I jump back on the wagon and give homemade pasta another go ;).

♥peachkins♥ said...

raviolis are like little packets of surprises!


blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

brandi said...

how fun!!! What a great idea to take the class there.

I need to try making my own pasta.

Kerstin said...

Mmmm, all the pastas look amazing - I can't wait for you to make them at home so we can get the recipes :)

Glad your training weekend was fun too!

Kelly said...

Sounds fantastic. I love, love, love making pasta. I think it's one of those things that the more you make it, the more you get a feel for it. Lately I've been really addicted to egg enriched doughs. They have such a gorgeous, supple texture and turn out so well.

Sophie said...

What an awesome class! I'm so glad you found one to take when you wre over there :)

Natalie said...

great post--your pasta looks incredible! I recently won a pasta maker in a giveaway and haven't had time to try it yet....plus I'm slightly intimidated. :)

Jess said...

I have never made fresh pasta. It looks like so much work! I love Cape Cod!

Jocelyn said...

No I have never made pasta like that...but it looks and SOUNDS delicious!!!

sophia said...

I've ATTEMPTED making fresh pasta before, with a real Italian chef, but needless to say we tossed my pasta and used the one HE made, instead. ;-)

Wish I could be there with you! Everything looks SCRUMPTIOUS! There is nothing like fresh pasta!

Delicious Dishings said...

What an amazing class! I've made ravioli before, but I would really love to learn how to make orechiette!

Reeni said...

So much crammed into 3 hours! What delicious pastas! I have never made my own but want to make gnocchi real soon. Your training so hard - deserving of pasta for sure.

vanillasugarblog said...

i completely forgot you were coming to the cape. sorry :-(
bigger photos. LOL

Alicia said...

Looks delicious! I looove fresh pasta and I need to try and make some myself. So far I've only tried ricotta gnocchi

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly said...

How cool! I have never made my own pasta but I think it would be fun! My favorite shape is angel hair.

Jen @Tiny Urban Kitchen said...

What a cool class! I love homemade pasta. I like the ones that are all bunched up (like radiatore) and can hold lots of sauce in their nooks and crannies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips