Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Roasted Date Salad

As soon as I saw this salad I knew I'd be making it.  Warm, roasted dates?  Yes, please :)  I adapted it just a bit, based on what I had in my refrigerator and couldn't have been more pleased.  This is definitely one to add to your repertoire!





Roasted Date Salad
adapted from Spoon Fork Bacon
yield:  4 side salads

6-7 Medjool dates, pitted and cut in half lengthwise
2T balsamic vinegar
1t extra virgin olive oil, divided
3oz proscuitto
4-6c arugula (could also use mixed greens)
2oz goat cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375deg.

In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  Add dates and toss until dates are well coated.  Add to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for ~10min.  Set aside until they're cool to the touch.  Roughly chop the warm dates into smaller bite-size pieces.

Crisp up the proscuitto either in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat or in the oven along with the dates. Set crispy proscuitto on paper towels to cool.  Once cool to the touch, crumble the proscuitto.

Add greens to a large bowl and toss with 1-2T balsamic vinaigrette dressing (if you don't have some on hand, try this recipe).  Lightly season with salt and pepper, toss again and then divide greens between 4 plates.  Top with the chopped dates, crispy proscuitto bits and crumbled goat cheese.  Serve!





With my love of bacon-wrapped, goat-cheese stuffed dates, I'm surprised I hadn't tried warm dates on anything else!  Have you done anything fun with dates lately??

10 comments:

Emily @ A Cambridge Story said...

Sweet/salty salads like this are the best! I love dried fruit with my greens but never try dates -- will have to give this a go!

Delicious Dishings said...

Oh my gosh, yes, please. This sounds incredible! Prosciutto, figs, arugula, goat cheese -- can't go wrong with any of those things.

Biz said...

You had me at goat cheese Shannon - looks restaurant worthy!

Joanne said...

Dates and goat cheese sound like a winning combination to me! This is the kind of salad I'd never get tired of.

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen said...

Dates with cheese are the best!

Kelly said...

Dates have really grown on me in the past year so this sounds incredibly tasty to me.

Kristen said...

this is quite the salad. looks so tasty.

Kerstin said...

What a lovely salad - many of my favorite ingredients!

Erica said...

What a creative salad! Should be on a restaurant menu!! proscuitto is a great add in

Hannah said...

Amazing how something that sounds so fancy is really a breeze to put together. That's my favorite kind of dish, in fact! Digging the sweet and savory combination.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips