Thursday, November 17, 2011

Persimmon Apple Spice Bread

Fuyu persimmons

In late fall I look towards the appearance of persimmons in the market.  No, they're not grown locally, but they're in season somewhere, and that's ok in my book.




Trying your first persimmon shouldn't be taken lightly.  One variety (hachiya) is quite astringent when unripe, so you want to be a little careful!  The short, squat variety (fuyu) can be eaten at any time like an apple, but the acorn shaped ones must be ripe (very soft, almost mushy and bright orange) before using the flesh. 

Wanting to embrace the season, I added in another fall favorite, apples!  Together with some Chinese Five Spice I had picked up awhile back,  you've got a deliciously warming quickbread that's perfect for breakfast, a snack, or an addition to brunch.




Persimmon Apple Spice Bread
adapted from Food Blogga
Yield:  5 small loaves

You could certainly bake this in 2 normal loaf pans or even muffin tins, just adjust the baking time accordingly.

1 3/4c white whole wheat flour
3/4c AP flour
1 1/2t baking soda
3/4t baking powder
1t salt
1t Chinese Five Spice
1/2t cinnamon
1/2t nutmeg
1 1/4c evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)

3 lg eggs
1/2c oil or melted butter (I used a mix of melted coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil)
1/4c unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2c pureed persimmon pulp (traditionally made from hachiyas, but fuyus will also work)
3/4c chopped apple
3/4c toasted walnuts

Preheat oven to 350deg.

Add the dry ingredients (flour through sugar) to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.  Add toasted walnuts and toss to combine.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.  Add oil/butter, applesauce and persimmon pulp and whisk to combine.  Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.  Fold in the chopped apples.  Divide into mini loaf pans sprayed with nonstick spray.  Bake for 25-35min, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes clean.  Cool on a rack.

Serve warm or room temp, apple butter optional!  Wrap leftovers tightly in plastic wrap to store for a few days, or freeze to enjoy at a later date.




If you're looking for different persimmon recipes, try  persimmon pudding, fall harvest muffins, persimmon cookies and persimmon date bread!

If you've tried persimmons, how would you describe the taste??  I was struggling with this, but I'd say sweet, with hints of honey or mango.  I'd like to know your thoughts!

17 comments:

Maggs said...

I wait all year for persimmon season. I bought a bunch at costco the other day. I usually eat them like apples, but I'm going to try to make this (gluten free of course) this weekend. It sounds so good!

Caratunk Girl said...

OK I feel like a moron, but what the heck is a persimmon? They haven't hit Caratunk yet.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I adore persimmons but I've actually never cooked or baked with them. I love eating them in their pure raw form!

Elizabeth said...

I loooove persimmon cake/bread. When I was in Italy we had a persimmon tree so I ate lots of persimmon cake. Also I was delighted to find them at the farmers' mkt in DC this past weekend. Didn't know they grew there!

In and Around Town said...

I have never cooked with persimmon, but obviously I need to start. Thanks for the tips!

Kelly said...

I've always been intimidated by permissions for the variations you mention. Astringent does not at all sound appealing to me!

Joanne said...

I think i'ts been two years since I tried my first (fuyu) persimmon and I was an instant convert. LOVE! I need to bake with them again this season. What a great quickbread!

Ranjani said...

I have never baked with persimmons before, and in fact I haven't eaten one in quite a while! Good to know they are in season. This bread looks like such a nice twist on fall flavors

Reeni said...

I only tried persimmons once before and have no idea which ones! My aunt bought them - I remember liking them - they just fell off my radar. Now they're back - the bread sounds scrumptious!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story said...

How neat! I've never cooked with persimmons - or eaten them, perhaps!

Val said...

One word-WOW

Delicious Dishings said...

I don't think I've ever tried persimmons... the bread sounds very interesting.

Pure Ella said...

Sounds very cool! But I have to confess I'm a persimmon virgin! lol
Never had it in my life... eeeekkkk
I'm so excited out to try it now. he he
xo

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I haven't had a persimmon in years, but I agree that it tastes slightly like mango and also reminds me of tomato...

Anonymous said...

An awesome idea, forwarding this to my parents who are huge fans of persimmons, they always have a bunch at this time of the year!

Natalie said...

I love persimmons and have never baked with them (just eat them plain or in salads). I have to try this if I can get my hands on some!

Unknown said...

can you believe i just tried persimmon last year? Wow, i was missing out. Good stuff, and now this! yum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips