Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cookie Monster

I did some baking for a few cookie care packages last Saturday, and thought I'd share the loot ;) It took awhile to figure out what to make, but I finally decided on a few new varieties and challenged myself to come up with one of my own.

clockwise, from bottom R: Chevre cookies, Blueberry Lavender Butter Cookies, Seven Layers, Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies and Persimmon Cookies

To accompany the Seven Layers that everyone loves, I tried a few cookies from fellow bloggers. I think my favorite one was Nicole's Persimmon Cookies, but Elise's Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies did not disappoint. I used my usual substitutions-- white whole wheat flour for AP and Smart Balance 50/50 sticks for the butter/shortening. In the Chocolate cookies, I used Candy Cane Kisses instead of Peppermint Bark, since I already had them. There was one other variety in there that I didn't really like as a Christmas cookie, but I sent it out anyways (sorry guys!). I think they would find a better home on a cheese tray....

For my own recipe, I took a cue from some muffins Kelly turned me on to this summer. Into a butter cookie base, I added some lavender buds (a free sample from Marx Foods), dried blueberries and a little lemon zest. Different, but I really liked them :) On a side note, I wasn't sure if these were a butter cookie or shortbread. Anyone know the difference??

Blueberry Lavender Butter Cookies

Blueberry Lavender Butter Cookies
Recipe by Shannon



1 1/4c white whole wheat flour
1/8t salt
1 stick of butter, room temp (I used Smart Balance 50/50 sticks)
1/2c plus 2T powdered sugar
1 lg egg
1t lavender buds
1c dried blueberries, chopped
zest of 1/2-1 lemon

Beat butter until light and creamy in a stand mixer (or by hand). Add in powdered sugar over a few additions. Once incorporated, beat in egg. With the mixer running on low, add flour and continue to mix until well combined. Fold in lavender (crush with your fingers while adding to the batter), blueberries and lemon zest. Transfer to a large piece of saran wrap and shape into a log. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350deg. Line cookie sheet (1 large one or two smaller ones) with parchment paper. Remove dough from fridge and make 1/4" slices (unwaxed floss could be used, but I just used my chef's knife). Place on baking sheet and bake 12-13min, until just starting to brown on the edges. Remove and cool on a rack.

*My note: I did not chop my blueberries, so when I tried to cut them the blueberries got in the way and they fell apart. I just shaped the cookies by hand and that worked well!*



I'm sending these to Susan for her Christmas Cookie Roundup! Click here to find out how to submit your own recipe (hurry, time's running out!), and click here for the roundup and more ideas!

31 comments:

Jess said...

I love Christmas cookies, although I might have to stop baking for a while come January. It's getting out of control. ;)

Erica said...

Nice work! Isn't baking up a storm so much fun? I love your original cookies. They sound really unique and tasty :)

Chef Fresco said...

Nice cookie spread! I've definitely never heard of lavender cookies before :)

The Purple Carrot said...

Ooooh, yum! I'm getting in the mood to bake cookies :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

Cookies are one of the greatest snack ever made!my sister, my daughter and I all love good cookies!

Lauren said...

These are such creative versions of traditional cookies. They all sound fabulous!

Kelly said...

Reading this post really made me want some cookies. I don't care if its 8 in the morning!

tam said...

I want to try them all!

Thanks for stopping by x x

Elina said...

7 layer bars are my favorite. I also like your own recipe - very creative!

Joanne said...

your cookies sound so delicious and super original! Those blueberry ones totally blew(blue) my mind. I am going to start my holiday cookie baking next week. It is going to be a marathon of cooking!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

Ok so those cookies look awesome and the link back to Seven LAyer Bars...OMG I grew up in the midwest where when someone died, got married, had a baby, all the church ladies would bring bars to the event. And 7 Layer were a childhood staple. Thx for the memory :)

vanillasugarblog said...

I am so tired of baking girl. I'm going to go hibernate, wake me when it's spring!
love those lavender ones!

Cate O'Malley said...

The Lavender sounds like a unique twist - love cookie baking season!

Kerstin said...

Talk about a great package - yum! And, your lavender/blueberry/lemon cookies sound amazing! I've never baked with lavender before.

Kelly B. said...

Oh my gosh...those cookies look fabulous! I am going to make those blueberry lavander cookies this weekend for sure! I am always on the lookout for good cookie!! I am not a "cookie monster" for nothing!! :)

Anonymous said...

Your blueberry lavender cookies sound outstanding! I can just imagine the aroma of lavender when they are baking! Mmm....

chrystad72 said...

Wow! these cookies look awesome! I cant decide which ones to make first since they all sound awesome. Thanks for sharing!!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Blueberry and lavender? What a deliciously unusual flavor pairing. They'll no doubt stand out among the traditional Christmas cookie favorites. Thanks a bunch, Shannon!

Nicole, RD said...

Seeing as I love violet (ever have those violet-flavored candies as a kid? Yum!), where would I find violet? These sound WONDERFUL!

Reeni said...

What delicious cookies! Blueberry and lavender! How divine!

Lauren said...

Gorgeous cookies! They all look amazing =D.

Emily said...

I really like the idea of blueberry lavender cookies. So creative!

brandi said...

blueberry lavender cookies sound so good! Very creative, and they look beautiful, too.

Anonymous said...

They all look delicious!! Great job Shannon!

Anonymous said...

LAVENDER! Almost as delicious to smell as rosemary :) Your plating is beautiful. The sign of an intuitive baker is the ability to create recipes. Your cookies sound awesome. In awe of you!

Dewi said...

Cookie monster ... cookie monster don't come and eat me, but let me eat you ... YUM!

tiffany @ the garden apartment said...

What an unusual combination of ingredients. These would make a refreshing treat in the summertime (with the blueberry and lavender). . or anytime of the year!
Your cookies should qualify as a shortbread, as you have no leavening agent in the ingredients.

Emily said...

Cookies, cookies, cookies! They all look amazing!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Blueberry and lavender sounds like a magical flavor combination! Thank you for giving me such a genius idea, I can't wait to try it out.

Kelly said...

Chevre cookies? Oh yum!

Anonymous said...

Nice cookies! web application

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips