Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cleaning the Fridge

With the upcoming holiday I'll be spending at the parents, this weekend was for cleaning out the fridge! Not sure when I'll be posting again, so I hope everyone has a fabulous time with their families!!!!

Carrot Pumpkin Soup - I followed the recipe, using 2c chopped carrots and 1c pumpkin



Pumpkin Truffles - Made with Amaretto as I didn't have any Grand Marnier



And last but not least, the REALLY ripe banana on my counter found their way into a very small (4) batch of Banana Wheat Germ Muffins. I was a little short on wheat germ, so I did about half and half with ground flax seeds.




Ok, I lied... I made something else with ingredients I didn't have on hand. But I happened upon two Hiyacha persimmons at the store that seemed to be ripe (the acorn-shaped ones, which are supposed to be quite soft when ripe and better for baking), and I couldn't turn them down! When peeling one of my persimmons, you could definately tell there was a section still unripe (much harder) so I didn't use that for fear of astringency and inedible baked goods. This led to a smaller amount of puree than called for in this Persimmon Date Bread and the making of muffins instead! After popping one, ok, two, in my mouth, I packaged the rest up for the freezer so I can come home to some fresh-baked goodness after a long weekend home :)

18 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

TOO MUCH DELICIOUSNESS!! Love it :-)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

I'm impressed at how much you cook from other blogs. I read a lot of food blogs and always find great recipes to put on my list "to make" but I always wind up making something else. Not to mention you used up stuff in the fridge, I envy you! I love the soup, how were those truffles?

Erica said...

Very nice. I wish I had one of those tuffles right now- what a fabulous dessert! Enjoy your thanksgiving!

Esi said...

These all look great! Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

wow - delish eats!


hope you have an amazing thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

wow pumpkin carrot soup. gotta try that!

Anonymous said...

Have a great Thanksgiving! Those truffles look amazing!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

woooooo......so many yummies you made!!!!!!!!! specially that pumpkin truffles....looks amazing!!!!

Have a great thanksgiving!!!

Maria said...

Everything looks good here!! Nice work!

alexandra's kitchen said...

You are so creative! I have been dying to bake with persimmons but have yet to take a stab. I have 9 ripe bananas on my counter. Should I make these wheat-germ muffins? They look so delicious and healthy.

lauren said...

whoa! look at all that deliciousness! have a great thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Wow you were busy in the kitchen! And apparently had a lot of pumpkin in the fridge :)

Adam said...

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow upstate NY buddy! Hope you have fun at mom and dads.

PS those truffles look amazing :)

Roni said...

Love the carrot pumpkin soup idea! YUM!

Annie said...

OMG. Pumpkin Truffles you say...
They sound amazing. How were they????
I really would like to try these.

Trying To Heal said...

omg sooo good. i want that soup now; our weather is so dreary i want your soup!

Anonymous said...

Wow - so many great recipes! It's so great to clean out the fridge!! I'm always amazed at what I find stuffed in there! :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

HangryPants said...

As always, everythinglooks amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips