Monday, February 2, 2009

Catching up to the Superbowl Apps

Phew. What a week! In the middle of last week's snow storm I got to "retreat" into the White Mountains of NH. Luckily the drive wasn't too bad and the snow made for some amazing cross country skiing.

I made it back just in time for a fabulous Tea Party (in Boston--ha. don't worry nothing went into the harbor!). A huge shoutout to Starbucks (and Bjorn and Missy and the other guys I'm forgetting their names) for hosting the event. It was a great experience to try their new tea products and hear about the pairings with pastries they offer. Better yet was meeting some fellow Boston bloggers-- including Tina, Bridget, Elina, Pam, The Boston Foodie and The Boston Tea Cup. Check out their links for the lowdown, complete with photos :) The tea infusions (apple and berry) were quite sweet, and I think may be good iced. I did enjoy all the lattes, they seemed like a fantastic way to end a meal (instead of one of those vanilla scones that were also quite tasty...). I don't normally add sweetener to my tea, so I'd go for them light on the milk, unsweetened, with soymilk (which would impart a little sweetness on its own). Picky, aren't I? I always felt like that was asking too much. But you are paying for it, so they should make it how you want it!


And then there was the Superbowl. I got to do my first entertaining and had a great time :) I have been wanting to try fennel for awhile now. My hesitence has come from a dislike of liccorice... so I took the opportunity (of not having to eat it all myself in case I don't like it) to make Carmelized Fennel Flatbread. No worries here, it was fantastic, and I really enjoyed it!!

Caramelized Fennel Flatbread

I also made a Spinach Feta Dip that hid next to Daryl's guacamole :) It was good, but somehow avocados win me over more than feta! This will make a fantastic addition to my lunch sandwiches this week though!!

Spinach and Feta Dip
Adapted from this recipe



1 garlic clove, pressed
1 pkg frozen spinach, thawed
1 small onion, chopped
8oz greek yogurt (mine was TJ's 0%)
3oz crumbled feta (I had a light feta on hand)
2oz Nufatchel cheese, softened
1/4 light sour cream
1t dried dill (or 1T fresh)
1/8t black pepper

Saute onion in a little EVOO until softened, add spinach and garlic and cook a few minutes. Set aside to cool slightly. Combine yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, feta, and spinach mixture in bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, stir in spices, cover and chill. I did this a day ahead so it was ready for game time :)

Ok, I need some sleep, so the rest of the goods will have to wait. Hopefully I will have a chance to catch up on all my blog reading too... I hope you forgive me! Before I go, there are some giveaways-- Pop Chips over at Missy Maintains (their wasabi flavor is quite interesting!), and Hangry Pants is offering up some almond butter!!

And I need to thank Foodbuzz for giving me the oppotunity to try some of Quaker's new snacks!! I had been eyeing those banana-coconut-macadamia ones that popped up at the Chicago Quaker Convention and couldn't wait to sink my teeth in. Yummy, for sure, I think these are a nice, easy dessert option ;-)


Thank you Foodbuzz!

34 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Gorgeous flatbread and dip!!

Erica said...

Hey! The starbucks party sounds like so much fun. Yummy SB apps! The flatbread sounds amazing. Glad you had a nice trip to NH- the mountains up there are just incredible

Anonymous said...

How lucky are you to meet other fellow bloggers! And your Foodbuzz pack looks great, too--I'm so envious!

HangryPants said...

I love the flatbread and dip!

It's been so fun reading about the Starbucks tea party from the different perspectives of my favorite bloggers.

Pam said...

Mmm, that flatbread looks fantastic. I have a few fennel recipes on my site - the shrimp one isn't very anise-y and you might like it.

It was great to meet you - I love meeting my fellow bloggers! Have you joined the Boston Food Bloggers group? (http://bostonfoodbloggers.ning.com/) Seems like we might set up some events through there...

Meg said...

Look at all those yummy treats!

I think I would enjoy the teas unsweetened and with soy milk too!

Heather said...

that caramelized fennel flatbread sounds amazing!!

HEAB said...

I don't know...feta or avocado? I'd probably end up eating a lot of both. :)

Your flatbread does look amazing! Do you ever make anything that doesn't? Seriously, will you please post a kitchen mishap so that I can feel better about some of my recipe disasters?!? :)

PS - I'm totally high maintenance at Starbucks. I always feel bad and leave a good tip.

Fit Mommy said...

Love fennel actually. Goes great on lots of things and it's easy to grow. Looks like a yummy recipe too.

Currently annoyed w/my local sbux cause they hired "hot dudes" with no brains.

Esi said...

The Starbucks party sounds like fun! Wish LA would have something like that! Yummy appetizers for the Superbowl.

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely down for a pot luck dinner some day... :)

Maria said...

The flatbread and dip looks really tasty!! And lucky you...I love trying out new products and for free is even better!

Anonymous said...

that flatbread and dip look amazing! and the starbucks party sounds like such a gret time :) wish i was in the boston area so i could join the meetup!!

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who sees snowflakes/little white dots floating down across those pictures of the yummy food? PS I love Starbucks new flavor of tea, spicy ginger. Yum.

Unknown said...

Pam- ooh, thanks, I'll check them out :)

NeverSayDiet- hehe, don't worry, you're not seeing things, the snow is from a snowflakes theme!

Fitnessista said...

that dip looks delicious and HOW COOL that you go to meet some bloggers!!
have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Your Carmelized Fennel Flatbread looks wonderful and the dip is awesome! How fun to meet up with your blogger friends!

Anonymous said...

I already told the other gals - I'm super jealous of your tea party - it looks like you guys had an amazing spread!

those carmelized onions are MAKING ME DROOL!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm dip. The tea party sounds like so much fun! Love tea.

kate said...

Hi! I was invited to the Starbucks tasting...but couldn't make it :(. i would love to have a boston blogger meet-up. check out my blog if you have time and let me know if anything comes up!!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, spinach and feta dip next to guacamole. I would spend the entire party trying to decide which one to eat the most of.

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

no fair- everyone lives on the east coast :(

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

MacDuff said...

Let's definitely do a get-together! I would love that.

My favorite salad s a fennel and parmesan salad. I use a mandolin to get the fennel really thin, then dress it with EVOO and parmesan. It's a great pairing - crunchy, and the licorice doesn't come across too strongly.

Reeni said...

I love spinach dip, never tried it with feta. The flatbread looks amazing! The tea party sounds fun, that's so cool that you met some fellow bloggers.

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

I am SO HUNGRY after reading your post :) Mmmm, love anything with caramelized onions on it!! The spinach & feta dip sounds wondrous as well. You've been a busy blogger!! :)

Anonymous said...

yum - that flatbread looks SOOOOO good right now :) i want to reach in and grab a piece hehe

Darius T. Williams said...

So - that fennel flatbread is calling my name.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love fennel so much- That flatbread looks sooo delish!

test it comm said...

That caramelized fennel flat bread sounds good. I have been wanting to use fennel more often.

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

starbucks party seems fun!

great dip recipe!

I just got those goodies from Foodbuzz too! let's enjoy!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Wish I were a Boston Blogger! I'd be up for a meet-up any time!

Rosiecat24 said...

Isn't it fun meeting other food bloggers? I know I had a great time when Kath came to Chicago and there was lots of discussion about blogging and the lifestyle that it encourages.

And tea is the best. I don't think I would have made it through graduate school without tea--black, herbal, fruity, and everything in between.

Anonymous said...

That flatbread sounds really good. I just tried one of the tea lattes for the first time this morning. So good. I need to learn how to steam my own milk.

HeatherBakes said...

I've only tried fennel once- but we burned the heck out of it in class. Maybe it's worth another try.

Woohoo for the goodies! The Starbucks swag looks awesome. And I'm curious to hear how you like the Quaker bars. I thought the banana-macadamia flavor was amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips