Thursday, February 26, 2009

Edamame Ravioli

I love these ravioli, and they contain two of my favorite ingredients--edamame and goat cheese. Edamame is a rock star ingredient, as they are a great source of low-cal protein and fiber. Goat cheese isn't anything to sneer at, either!! As a softer cheese, it tends to be lower in fat than the harder cheeses like cheddar. These positives are just happy coincidences, the real winning thing about these ingredients is their taste :)


Edamame Ravioli
Adapted from Bon Appetit RSVP
Yield: ~25 ravioli (depending on the size)



1/2 lb frozen edamame
4oz goat cheese
2 oz nufatchel (1/3 less fat cream cheese)
wonton wrappers, or homemade pasta

Cook edamame in large pot of boiling, salted water until tender (~5min). Drain, then transfer to bowl of a food processor with cheeses and blend until smooth. Season filling to taste. This can be made a day or few ahead of time, keep refrigerated.

At this point I use the easy route of wonton wrappers, filling 4 at a time. Seal the edges with water and keep covered with a towel until ready to cook to prevent drying out. Cook 3-4 min in a large pot of boiling salted water, a few at a time to prevent sticking.

An alternative to cooking right away would be to place the filled ravioli on a single layer on a cookie sheet in a freezer until, umm, frozen. :) They can then be packaged into freezer bags for longer storage.

I often eat these on their own I enjoy them that much, but the recommended sauce was a browned butter mushroom sauce (which I will have to try when serving for guests!!). This time I made a Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Sauce and served it with some sundried tomato chicken sausage. Which led me to think that sundried tomatoes would also be a good addition to the ravioli filling! I'm sure you could also play with the seasonings in the filling, too.



Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Sauce


1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 28oz can fire-roasted whole tomatoes
1 small jar of roasted red peppers (it was 3 peppers worth), roughtly chopped
basil, oregano, salt, red pepper flakes to taste (fresh or dried, whatever you have on hand)

Saute onion in EVOO until softened. Add garlic, tomatoes (with juices), peppers, and seasonings and let simmer for awhile (I just let it go while assembling and cooking the ravioli). If you have fresh herbs, add them towards the end of cooking instead. Cool slightly before blending with an immersion blender, blender, or food processor.

--
Don't forget to head over to Chocolate-Covered Katie for her Jocolat giveaway. Abbie, at Food that Fit, is putting together an e-cookbook. Check out the details here if you'd like to submit some recipes!

42 comments:

HangryPants said...

Wow those look amazing! And thank you for the raw chowder recipe. You should definitely try it because it was great!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those ravioli look absolutely delicious! Fantastic recipe!

Tyler said...

edamame with goat sounds like an incredible combo!! nice job on making your own ravioli!! that has always sounded intimidating to me...

Sara said...

These look delicious, I just love edamame! They're so healthy too.

Anonymous said...

Those came out perfectly!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

oh....these look so good and so easy to make. When i first saw the pic I thought..oh..no.... to make the pasta from scratch? there's no way I can do it, but then, I like the filling so I was almost deciding to do the pasta as well....and lastly when I thought wonton wrap..I said oh yes...that's a genius idea! So, thanks for the recipe, i'll definitely make these.
And roasted pepper with tomato is the perfect sauce too! :D

Anonymous said...

Ive never heard of that kind of ravioli!
(and curious if you saw my response to your skullcrusher comment. now it's a debate around here as I think they are 2 different exercises--husband? no :))

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yay, thanks for the shout-out!

Erica said...

so creative! I would have never thought to put these flavors together in a ravioli! Amazing

Meg said...

YUM! I love it!

Fit Mommy said...

Looks delicious! I have never tried to make wonton ravioli..

pigpigscorner said...

I've never thought of putting edamame in ravioli! WHat a wonderful idea!

Krista said...

edamame + ravioli = awesomeness!!!

Anonymous said...

very cool! this looks pretty simple. i love the idea of making ravioli with wonton wrappers. I just steamed some edamame last night ... so yummy!

PS: I've moved: www.alexandracooks.com

Unknown said...

These look SO good! Probably a weekend attempt for me but will definitely be trying. Looks like the foodie event was fun last night - hopefully I can make the next one!

Anonymous said...

omgosh that is INGENIOUS! I mean, i know it came from another recipe, but to actually go ahead and make it. I love edemame!! loooove! Gotta try this!

Anonymous said...

THESE SOUND AMAZING! I couldn't even try to veganize 'em because they just wouldn't be as good. There is no vegan equivalent to goat cheese.

Anonymous said...

These sound great - I actually made pasta/wontons last night (filled with potatoes, veggie ground, leftover couscous, and lots of parmesan - surprisingly amazing). I have more wontons left tho so maybe I'll try this!

Reeni said...

Those look soooo delicious!! My favorite things wrapped all in one!

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! Really unique blend of ingredients as well.

Anonymous said...

Hungry now! Thanks! :)

Have a nice weekend!

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

how unique@! ive never heard of anyone using edemame as an ingredient other than just tossing in some beans in a dish. how cool

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Anonymous said...

Great idea- I've never made ravioli before but this sounds delicious.

Maria said...

I have never tried edamame ravioli, I am sure I would love it!! Great recipe!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome recipes!

Joanne said...

I like the idea of edamame as a "rock star food". When I am a rock star, I will eat lots of edamame. Even now, while I am not a rockstar, I eat quite a bit of it. How many raviolis would you say this made?

Unknown said...

Joanne- I got 25 in the wonton wrappers, but it depends on how much you stuff in there :) I like mine stuffed!

C.G. the Foodie said...

First time on your blog and I am already in love. I have to try these out. Thanks!!!!

Emily said...

Mmm, looks delish and healthy. I've always wanted to try using wonton wrappers for pasta.

Heather said...

ohhh. what a great ravioli stuffing! and that sauce sounds delicious too!!

test it comm said...

Edamame ravioli sounds good!

Emily said...

Hey thanks for the tip for another gluten-free blog and for stopping by my site!

What did you study in grad school?
Looking forward to reading! :-)

Bridget said...

Those look awesome!! I've been wanting to try out making ravioli's forever!! I think wontons are the way to go...until I get my pasta maker attachment for my mixer that is :)

Anonymous said...

Great stuff. I can't do goat cheese so I'd probably do ricotta but the cream cheese sounds like a great addition.

vanillasugarblog said...

that sounds so fancy!
but it looks so easy to make.
and the best part? all good for you, well, in moderation I guess.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful flavor combination! I'm absolutely going to make these ravioli :)

Anonymous said...

woah - edamame ravioli sounds so good!
i've never heard of that before!

Yasmeen said...

Flavorsome fresh home made ravioli,with goodness edamame and goat cheese:)

Kelly said...

That sounds delicious. I do enjoy both edamame and goat cheese so I cannot see how that recipe would NOT be a winner.

The book I was talking about is "The Flavor Bible." It's quite awesome.

lauren said...

this is GENIUS. what a great combo - i am totally making these SOON.

Sharon said...

I've never had edamame with anything creamy or cheesy so I am very excited to make these! Not healthy, but imagine a few of them fried. mmm.

Rumela said...

Thanks a lot. roasted red pepper & tomato sauce is an interesting recipe. At last I have found something interesting and unique to serve to my guests during the holidays. I am sure that they'll love this roasted red pepper & tomato sauce. thank you for shearing your post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips