Thursday, December 9, 2010

Butternut Ravioli

Roasted butternut squash and mascarpone is delicious.

making the dough

But let me back up.   There was some fresh pasta making at my place some time ago...  I don't want to think about how long it's been.

Roll out!

I let Elina and Kerstin do the hard work, since they had never done it before.  While I'm no expert, I tried to guide them in making the dough, rolling out pasta sheets (taking turns, of course), and forming the ravioli.

Assembly line!


I can't remember how we arrived at the filling (collective genius?), but roasted butternut squash married quite well with the mascarpone and freshly grated nutmeg.  I'm all for fresh pasta, but man, I could've eaten that filling all by myself itself.  Although I'm pretty sure I would've had to fight for it!

Somebody can't wait to dig in!


I'll spare you anymore rambling and get to the recipe :)



Butternut Squash Ravioli w/Sage Browned Butter & Hazelnuts

If you don't have the time or desire to make fresh pasta, wonton wrappers are a good substitute!

1 1/2 recipes fresh pasta*
2c roasted butternut squash puree
1/4t fresh ground nutmeg
1/8t salt
2oz mascarpone
2 grinds of freshly ground black pepper
6T butter
fresh sage, chopped (1/4-1/2c)
hazelnuts, chopped (1/4-1/2c)

To prepare the filling, mix together roasted squash, mascarpone and spices (salt, pepper, nutmeg).  Set aside.

Prepare pasta by rolling out sheets.  To make the ravioli, we added filling to one sheet (probably 1-2T, depending on how big you want them), spaced out by a few inches to leave room for the ravioli.  Once the filling was distributed, we topped with another sheet of pasta.   Using a cookie cutter (with a smooth edge), small glass, or your fingers, press down pasta around pocket of filling to create a seal and ensure that none of the deliciousness escapes.  Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut ravioli in whatever shape you'd like.  Set on a cookie tray and cover with towel until cooking (so they don't dry out).  Repeat with rest of the pasta and filling.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  In another large saute pan, melt butter and cook until begins to turn brown and smells nutty.  Add sage to the butter and cook until fragrant and crispy.  Lower heat and to keep warm until the ravioli are cooked.  When the water has reached a rolling boil, salt and begin cooking ravioli, being sure not to overcrowd them.  Cook for only a few minutes, they'll float to the top when ready, then drain and add to the browned butter and sage.  Continue with this process until you've cooked all the ravioli.  Serve topped with chopped hazelnuts!


*For 3 servings of pasta, I used 3 lg eggs, 75g white whole wheat flour and 225g type "00" flour.  For instructions and photos on how to make the pasta, click here.  We rolled it out to a medium-thin sheets (I think we aimed for 5-6 on a scale of 8).



Do you have a favorite way to use mascarpone?

22 comments:

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

It looks like you had such a good time with some of my favorite bloggers!

Erica said...

First of all- that looks like fun :) Second- how yummy does that filling sound? restaurant worthy!

Lauren said...

I so wish I could have joined in the fun with you lovely ladies! The ravioli look fantastic :). I don't cook with mascarpone often, but it sounds like you used it perfectly.

Unknown said...

wow, talk about tackling the kitchen. thats awesome. Better than any restaurant for sure!
LC

vanillasugarblog said...

why didn't i add crunchy nuts to mine? DUH.
thanks for telling me this. awesome girl!

Joanne said...

This sounds like SUCH an awesome endeavor! Oh the wonderful things that happens when three food bloggers get together...the possibilities are endless.

Faith @ lovelyascharged said...

Wow, what an incredible sounding combination! I'm dying to try making ravioli from scratch!

Beth said...

What a gorgeous looking pasta! Your photos of the pasta-making session are so cute.

Alisa Cooks said...

Love how you went with a simple topping for those raviolis. I really need to make something like this soon!

We Are Not Martha said...

That final dish looks absolutely amazing and it looks like you guys had such a blast! :)

Sues

Anonymous said...

Those ravioli sound amazing, I love the addition of hazelnuts!

Elina (Russian Bites) said...

My tongue is sticking out in that first photo. Fabulous! lol
This was SO good. Upon arriving home after that dinner, I immediately added a pasta roller to my xmas list. I hope I get it!! :D

Kerstin said...

Oh no, now I'm craving these again - I was so impressed with our work and your instruction :) So fun!!

Kelly said...

I LOVE making homemade ravioli. I think a lot of people find it intimidating, but I find it to be so relaxing and fun. Looks like you all had a great time.

Hannah said...

Oh what a treat! These ravioli sound amazing, and all the more so because they were made in such great company. :)

Bridget said...

Looks like such a fun ravioli day!! I really need to get my pasta maker attachment out of it's box (from my shower last July!), I want to make these!!

Rosiecat24 said...

Your kitchen is so cute! And ooh--sage-infused browned butter? Holy moly that sounds good. I don't suppose you have any you could send to Texas...? ;-)

Unknown said...

Aww . . looks like you guys had so much fun! That pasta roll is SUPER LONG!!

Cara said...

I love making ravioli with friends! (so much more fun than on my own.) For my butternut filling I usually combine the roasted squash or pumpkin with goat cheese and a splash of maple syrup and cinnamon but I bet the marscapone is amazing!

Ricki said...

So much fun! Nothing like spending time cooking with friends. And the ravioli sounds fabulous, too. :D

Chef Fresco said...

Aww how fun! Love all the pics. =) We still haven't made our own pasta, but it's definitely on the to-do list. Butternut Ravioli sounds like a great way to start!

Alicia said...

Great recipe!! and it looks like you had a ton of fun!! I love anything with mascarpone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips