Friday, December 17, 2010

A new favorite

When my parents came down for thanksgiving, they brought a car full of goodies for me, including some cabbage.  And some cabbage this was, it probably took it's own seat!  I failed to get a picture of the 9.5lb cabbage, but believe you me, it was bigger than my head :)   What do you do with that much cabbage so you don't get sick of it?  Try some new recipes!

Creamy Cabbage Soup

I made two different soups, my favorite of the two being a Creamy Cabbage Soup w/Gruyere.  I made this in two steps, the first day cooking it until just before you add the dairy, then finished it up the day I wanted to serve it.  The only change I made was to use  ~3oz of cave-aged gruyere, as that's what we had.  Everyone enjoyed it!


Napa Slaw w/Apple Butter Vinaigrette

After falling in love with my apple butter vinaigrette, I tried another one with Alexandra's Napa Cabbage w/Apple Butter Vinaigrette.  I added some leftover turkey to make it a delicious lunch :)  I may have decreased the oil in the vinaigrette just a tad, or maybe just didn't measure...  I know I know, I need to get better about that!


The best of the bunch was Molly's Braised Cabbage with Onions and Carrots, hands down.   Quite the unassuming dish, it is so simple and I can't wait to make again!!    Surprising, as when I went to put it in the oven, I thought to myself, "I'm not going to like this" and didn't take a picture.  Seriously delicious,  I wanted to eat the entire pan when it came out of the oven.   No joke, I can't say enough about this recipe :)


Braised Cabbage w/Onions & Carrots
very slightly adapted from Orangette
Serves 2

2lbs of cabbage, trimmed, cored and cut into wedges
1 lg onion, cut into  ~1/2" thick slices
1 lg carrot, sliced into ~1/3" coins
1/4c + 2T homemade turkey stock (you can also use chicken stock or water)
2T extra virgin olive oil
coarse salt
freshly ground pepper
1/8t crushed red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 325.

Put cabbage wedges in a roasting pan (or other 9x13 pan), keeping them to a single layer.  Add carrot and onions over the cabbage.  Season with salt, pepper & red pepper flakes (I just sprinkled these over the pan). 

Measure out stock and add oil.  Whisk together and then pour over cabbage.  Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 1-1.5hrs.  Check the cabbage after this time, turning it over with tongs, adding more stock/water if it has dried out, and then return the dish to the oven, tightly covered in foil for another 1-1.5hrs.

After this time, the veggies should be very tender (if not, cook some more!).  Take off foil, turn the oven to 400deg and place back in the oven.  Cook for another 15min or so, until the edges of the cabbage and onions start to brown and caramelize.

Serve warm, as a side to some hearty protein, or rather simply, topped with a poached egg like Molly suggests!



Are you a cabbage lover?  Any favorite things do do with it?    I've got some cookies coming up, so get ready for some sugar :)

15 comments:

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Besides using cabbage in Asian dishes (like slaw or dumplings), I've never really cooked cabbage before. The cabbage soup sounds so hearty and perfect for winter.

vanillasugarblog said...

yum. i am loving that soup. you are so creative. any cabbage left? can we make some bbq kielbasa and cabbage? lol

Elina (Russian Bites) said...

I'm a giant cabbage lover, and I still have 1/2 left from that shchi. I have another Russian recipe in the works with some of it but I think I'll try the slaw with any remains. :)

janetha @ meals and moves said...

this is a combo i would never dream up myself, but it sounds/looks so good!

happy weekend to you, m'dear!

Joanne said...

I'm always rooting for the underdog, so I will definitely be trying Molly's cabbage dish! I'm actually not the biggest cabbage fan..in fact I don't think I even have any recipes for it on my blog! Need to change that.

Delicious Dishings said...

I would love that braised cabbage with onions and carrots. Add in corned beef and boiled potatoes and that's what I eat for a whole week around St. Patrick's Day!

Caratunk Girl said...

I want to make that soup!! I like cabbage and use it in stir fries kind of thinly sliced up.

Erica said...

I love when people (family/friends) know much I love food...especially fresh fruits and veggies and bring me some. Slaws are amazing

Chef Fresco said...

Everything looks delicious- especially the cabbage soup with gruyere!

Kelly said...

I love the creativity that comes from trying to use something up before you get sick of it. I also adore that your parents bring you goodies and they are food goodies!

Ricki said...

Cabbage never looked so good! That soup sounds amazing. . . will you be posting the recipe?

Kerstin said...

Braised cabbage does sound like it wouldn't be particularly tasty, so what a nice surprise that it was so yummy! I wish you would have got a pic of that cabbage :)

Rosiecat24 said...

I've made so many of Molly's recipes, but not this one! It sounds like something I would love.

But wait--seriously? 9.5 POUNDS?!? Holy moly...

Molly said...

I love this post as I am dealing with a 7.5 lb. red cabbage myself!

Anonymous said...

This soup was AMAZING!!! Highly recommend it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips