Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pumpkin Spice

When I came across these cinnamon roll cookies, I was intrigued.  I knew I'd have to have a go at them!


Inspired by the awesome pumpkin cinnamon rolls I made a few months ago, I adapted the recipe a bit.  Turns out my modifications made it vegan, if you're looking for that kind of recipe :)  Of course you can also un-veganize it by using butter, no worries!    Delicious!



Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Roll Cookies
adapted from Dine & Dish
Yield: ~3dozen

Filling/topping:
4T granulated sugar
1T cinnamon

Dough:
1 stick Earth Balance (or butter), softened (RT)
1c packed brown sugar
1/2c pumpkin
1t vanilla
3c flour (I used a mix of AP and white whole wheat)
2t baking powder
1/2t salt
1t cinnamon
1/4-1/2t freshly grated nutmeg  (it can be strong, so use your judgement!  I liked the spice and went closer to 1/2t)
dash of cloves

For the glaze:
1c powdered sugar
1t maple syrup (I'd recommend Grade B)
1/8t maple extract (optional)
1-3T apple cider (or milk)

In a stand mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Add pumpkin and vanilla and beat until well incorporated.  While this is beating, combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk together.  Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture in several additions and mix until everything is combined.

In a small bowl, stir together the filling (sugar and cinnamon) until well mixed.   Turn out dough onto parchment paper and spread or roll out into a large rectangle (~1/4" thick, or ~9x6").   Sprinkle over filling mixture, leaving about an inch around the edge.  You may have some left, reserve it for later.  Roll up the dough jelly-roll style, using the parchment paper to help.  If the dough starts to break as you're rolling, don't worry, just pinch it back together :)   Roll in any extra cinnamon sugar and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for a few hours.

Preheat oven to 350deg when you're about to get your cookies ready.  Remove dough from refrigerator, unwrap from plastic and cut into 1/4" thick slices.  Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet or baking stone, 1-2" apart.   Bake in preheated oven 8-10min, until just beginning to brown around the edges or the cookie is not too soft in the center.  Cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack.

Once completely cool, prepare the glaze by adding powdered sugar to a bowl.  Add syrup and extract and stir to moisten all the sugar.   Add cider, 1T at a time, stirring well after each addition, until desired consistency is reached.  I aimed for one that was thin enough to be spreadable, but not too thin.  Brush each cookie with glaze using a pastry brush and allow glaze to harden before transferring to a container for storage (or shipping!).

12 comments:

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

Another winning cokkie! I am so very impressed! I am not sure that if I made those they woudl look as perfect!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I love this! You're getting me super excited for the cookie swap next month!

Erica said...

How pretty are these? They'd make an awesome gift. Happy Holidays girl!

Joanne said...

I love cinnamon rolls and I love cinnamon roll cookies. And we all know I love pumpkin! These cookies look fantastic!

vanillasugarblog said...

i love the texture look of these. are the crispy on the edges? i would love to make them, but i need to use full butter. i love mah stuff fattening. lol I tease, I just don't like earth balance.

Lauren said...

Fantastic! I looooove pumpkin cinnamon rolls, and these cookies look absolutely delicious. Well done!

We Are Not Martha said...

These are so cute!! I love cinnamon rolls (obviously), so I can't see how this cookie could be bad. It's such an awesome idea.

Happy holidays :)

Sues

Anonymous said...

What a terrific idea to make pumpkin cinnamon roll cookies! And i love that glaze with maple syrup and cider!

Bren said...

love this. anything with pumpkin spice is fabulously wonderful! Happy Holidays!

Kerstin said...

These are so cute - what a great cookie idea! And the pumpkin twist sounds so yummy.

Alicia said...

I am a sucker for anything pumpkin and cinnamon - and these cookies are so cute! Nice work!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday said...

These look so fantastic!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips