Sunday, February 20, 2011

Meyer Lemon Cupcakes

Continuing with the meyer lemon love this week, I've got another winning recipe!  I made mini cupcakes for a friend's baby shower and fell in love.  In fact, I've made a few batches :)


Due to the use of coconut milk, these are vegan, if you're looking for that sort of thing ;)  Light and delicate in texture, the flavor was bright and not too sweet.  I topped them with a little lemon glaze, but it's up to you!


Meyer Lemon Cupcakes
slightly adapted from Love & Olive Oil
Yield:  12 cupcakes or ~32 mini cupcakes

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup oil
1 cup full fat coconut milk  (full fat really is better!!)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
zest of 2 meyer lemons
1 teaspoon meyer lemon juice
meyer lemon glaze, see below

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add sugar and brown sugar and mix. Whisk together oil, coconut milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until relatively smooth.

Prepare mini muffin tin with cooking spray.  Fill cupcake tins with ~1T batter (just about 2/3 full).  Bake for 10-12min or until golden (a toothpick inserted to the center should come clean).  Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.  [For regular size cupcakes, fill with 3T batter and bake 20-25min]

For a lemon glaze, I just whisked together ~1/2c powdered sugar and the juice of 1/2 meyer lemon.  Adjust with more powdered sugar or lemon juice to achieve desired consistency and drizzle over cupcakes.




Have you jumped on the meyer lemon bandwagon?

11 comments:

Erica said...

Aww! I bet your friend LOVED these! And I bet the coconut milk added some interesting flavor and made them taste nice and light. nom nom!

Joanne said...

I would LOVE to jump on the meyer lemon bandwagon but I can't find them anywhere! Whole foods doesn't seem to have them, nor does my local supermarket. I'm going on a hunt for them today. And I refuse to come back empty-handed.

These cupcakes are so cute!

Lauren said...

I haven't made anything with meyer lemons, but these cupcakes look like a great recipe to start with!

Elizabeth said...

These remind me of the cupcakes from Babycakes, a vegan bakery in NY. They look delicious! I want to bake something with coconut milk.

Lindsay and James Cotter said...

can we still throw some nutella on that? hehe.
LC

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

These look ADORABLE!

Biz said...

I actually have never had meyer lemons - but those cupcakes look terrific!

Glad they were a hit!

Rosiecat said...

What, no meyer lemon curd filling? ;-)

These minis are adorable. I love a good lemon dessert, and since they're minis, you can eat like 3 of them, right?

Hope your week is off to a good start!

5 Star Foodie said...

These sound delightful! Love the meyer lemon glaze drizzled on top!

Reeni said...

These are so moist and scrumptious looking - love the coconut milk! I haven't been able to find Meyer lemons here. So SAD cause I'm seeing recipes everywhere!

Kerstin said...

I loved how the meyer lemons were really the star of these cupcakes - so bright and fresh! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips