Thursday, February 3, 2011

PB Chocolate Cheesecake

I teased you with photos of this dessert when I reviewed the cheesecake pan (only 2 months ago), so I thought it was finally time to share the recipe before a weekend you might be entertaining!   Rich and delicious, a small slice was sufficient to satisfy most!   No need to mention where I fell ;)



I sliced it at home with a warm serrated knife, making sure to get enough slices for our everyone in our ever-growing lab, so I tried it two ways.  At work I served it unadorned, and you could pick up notes of the salty peanut-y pretzels in the crust.  However, peanut butter being one of my favorite things, I loved it dressed up as in the photo below :)   Your choice!




Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake
slightly adapted from coconut & lime
Serves 12-20

A cheesecake that's not too sweet, you can play up its chocolate-y-ness by serving as is or bringing out the peanut butter flavor with a swirl of peanut butter on top or chopped peanuts-- your choice!   Or swap out the PB pretzels for chocolate cookie crumbs in the crust and top it with fresh raspberries...  ooh, the possibilities!

1 1/2c peanut butter pretzel crumbs (1/3-1/2 bag of TJ's brand)
2T butter, melted
1-3T unsweetened applesauce

2/3c cocoa powder
1 1/4c sugar
2 pkg Nufatchel (1/3rd less fat cream cheese), RT
1t vanilla extract
4 1/2oz 70% dark chocolate, melted & cooled slightly (I might use less next time)
1 16oz container 2% greek yogurt, RT
4 eggs, RT (I used egg whites/substitute for 2 eggs as I ran out of eggs!)

Preheat oven to 350deg.

Mix together pretzel crumbs and butter.  Add in enough applesauce until the mixture is fully moistened and it holds togetherwhen you squeeze a small amount between your fingers.  Press into the bottom of a springform pan.  Bake for 10min, then cool completely on a wire rack.  Turn oven down to 250deg.

In a stand mixer, slowly cream together cocoa powder, sugar, cream cheese and vanilla extract.   While this is mixing, melt chocolate in a double broiler over med-low heat.  Once no chunks remain and all chocolate has melted, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.  Add to sugar and cream cheese and mix well.  Add in the eggs and vanilla and beat thoroughly.

Pour filling into cooled crust and let sit a few minutes.  Tap the pan on the counter to encourage any bubbles to rise to the surface.  Bake for 2hrs at 250deg.  Remove and place on a wire rack.  Run a knife or spatula around the outside edge of the cheesecake to help prevent any cracks from forming as the cheesecake cools.  Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for a few hours.  Serve with a drizzle of peanut butter or chopped salted peanuts, if desired.




What's your favorite flavor of cheesecake?

20 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

It looks gorgeous! I almost bought that pan but went with a crepe pan instead.

I'm a sucker for a really good plain cheesecake with fresh fruit.

brandi said...

holy moly - that looks delicious!

I think the best cheesecake I've ever had was a pumpkin cheesecake with spiced whipped cream and candied pecans. yum.

Lauren said...

You know I love cheesecake, and obviously peanut butter and chocolate is the best flavor combination ever! The last photo is great... makes me want a slice :).

Elizabeth said...

Oh my gosh it looks to die for. When plain is done really well, I love it. Though I also wouldn't turn down pumpkin cheesecake or key lime.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

This is BEAUTIFUL! I am loving the pretzel crumb crust!

Emily said...

Oh my goodness! So freakin' gorgeous! I'd love a slice of this right now.

vanillasugarblog said...

good god woman!
that is heavenly!
let's get married! lol

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

wow - that cake looks so professional!

Sagan said...

Any kind. If it's cheesecake, it's all good!

Yuuuummmmyyy.

Joanne said...

I think when you're making something like PB chocolate cheesecake...there's no holding back. It's a big slice or the highway. And I wouldn't be able to control myself around this anyway. Beautiful.

Rosiecat24 said...

Whoa, what a knock-out! Love this, Shannon. The pretzels, the peanut butter, the chocolate...wow. I need an excuse to make this one :-) Is Friday a good excuse to make a cheesecake?

aionaccount said...

Thumbs up for this cream cheese, chocolate and peanut butter dessert all favorite in one bite. You're an angel for sharing out this one.

Sophia Lee said...

Wow, interesting crust...I love that you used PB pretzel crumbs. Nice touch!!

I've never been a big fan of cheesecake though...it's a bit too dense after the first few bites. Have you tried the airier Japanese cheesecake before? that I LOVE.

Anonymous said...

It looks luscious and super decadent! Absolutely love the PB chocolate combo!

Kristen said...

oh the possibilities are right! fresh berries or chopped peanuts sound like lovely additions to what is already a gorgeous cake!!

Reeni said...

How scrumptious Shannon! Love the chocolate and PB combo. Dulce de leche cheesecake is my fave!

Natalie said...

pb pretzel CRUST?!?! brilliant!

Kerstin said...

The TJ PB crust sounds amazing - awesome idea!! And it's so pretty dressed up :)

Jess said...

That looks amazing! I love the idea of pb pretzels for the crust.

Amy @ ElephantEats said...

Oh my...that looks seriously rich! I love chocolate peanut butter. Will def have to try this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips