Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Trail Mix Cookies

In case you missed the crazy thing I did with my root veggie hummus, be sure to check it out!

When I was making cookies this past holiday season, a friend who's dairy-sensitive was on my list so I tried to come up with a few varieties that she could enjoy using Earth Balance or coconut oil.   To accompany the pumpkin cinnamon roll cookies, almond sugar cookies and oatmeal spice biscotti were these cookies that reminded me of trail mix.


Trail Mix Cookies
adapted from Culinate Kitchen
Yield:  3-4dozen

1/2c  Earth Balance (or butter), softened
1/3c evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
1/2c brown sugar
1t vanilla
1 lg egg + 1 white
2T applesauce
1 1/3c white whole wheat flour
2/3c AP flour
1/2t baking soda
1/2t cinnamon
1/2t salt
2/3c millet
2/3c chocolate chips  (dairy-free if desired)
1/2c goji berries, softened in boiling water and drained well
1/2c pumpkin seeds

Preheat oven to 375deg.

Combine dry ingredients (both flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt) in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.  Cream together butter and sugars in a stand mixer or large bowl until light and fluffy.  Add in vanilla, applesauce, egg and white and mix well.  Add the flour mixture in 4 additions, allowing the each addition to be incorporated before the next addition.  Fold in millet, chocolate chips, goji berries and pumpkin seeds.

Scoop by tablespoon-fulls onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet (or baking stone), ~1" apart.  Bake in preheated oven, 8-12min (mine took 10), until they are just beginning to brown along the edges.  Cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then move to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.  Once the cookie sheet has cooled, repeat with remaining batter.

Store in an airtight container.  These freeze well, too!


Have you tried millet yet??  I first tried this seed/grain in some Toasted Millet Banana Muffins, and I loved the little crunch from the millet...  must keep experimenting :)

17 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

I haven't used millet at home, but I've baked with it at Flour (yum, Flour granola bars). These cookies sound really interesting. I love anything with cinnamon and chocolate, but you've definitely taken it up a few notches!

Elizabeth said...

I pretty much love any sort of trail mix cookie. I like that this one uses some non traditional items.

vanillasugarblog said...

i have been experimenting with creating a "kashi" cookie. a healthy cookie that has a bit of everything and is healthy. yes, me creating something healthy--for the records I tell you. lol
so these cookies you created sound good. how do you like that earth balance?

Biz said...

I've always wondered about SmartBalance in baking - they look great Shannon!

Cara said...

Ironically, I was just joking to my hubs about trying to cook with millet (I never have.) His best friend's stepfather actually has some crazy number of food allergies/sensitivities, and there are only 3 foods which do not upset him in any way: scallops, mango, and millet! I'm pretty sure his wife has already made up 99% of the possible combinations, but maybe I could come up with one more ;)

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

This looks so healthy. I haven't worked with millet before and it sounds pretty interesting!

Meghan@travelwinedine said...

I didn't think I had eaten millet, but if Megan says it is in Flour's granola bars, I have! I will have to find some and try baking with it for myself!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

ooooh no I havent tried millet yet!! These cookies look wonderful!

Livvy said...

I absolutely LOVE your blog!! I just found you from cottercrunch and I'm so fortunate that I did:) Your pictures are fantastic and I love your interesting recipes! Can't wait to read more:) come check out my blog too!

Joanne said...

given my intense adoration of trail mix, I'm sure I would LOVE these cookies!

Unknown said...

goji berries?! Nice touch. Thats one healthy cookie, I like it!
C

Anonymous said...

These sound excellent, very healthy! Absolutely adore goji berries here!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe said...

I haven't ever tried millet before, but your cookies sound delicious!

Jess said...

Oooh those look tasty! I've made "trail mix cookies" before by mixing actual trail mix into peanut butter cookie dough. They were delicious, but not as healthy as yours. :)

Kerstin said...

These look like the perfect post workout treat! What does millet taste like - did you get it at WFs? I'm pretty sure our bird enjoys millet, so maybe I'll steal some from her, haha :)

Erica said...

VERY sweet of you to adjust for your friend! The cookies sound super yummy! Sorry I've been so MIA! I will finally have a post up tomorrow morning.

Kelly said...

I love the sound of this. Trail mix + cookies. Yum. It's also fun that you used millet. I have some at home (I think in both whole and flour form, but at least definitely in whole form) and haven't played around with it yet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips