Monday, May 31, 2010

Asparagus Pizza

As I was uploading pictures of this dish, I noticed Deb's post in my google reader and stopped in my tracks.   A shaved asparagus pizza--seriously??   It's not that I don't drool over everything in her smitten kitchen, because I do.  And every recipe I've made from her site has been a winner.


It's just that I made a shaved asparagus pizza.


Great minds think alike?


While the recipes seem different at first, you'll find many aspects of the pizza I made a couple of weeks ago in the tweaks section.    I made the pizza twice, but only photographed it the first time, so you might notice a few differences between the photos and the recipe.   I hope that doesn't deter you from making it, as it would be a perfect summer pie!


Shaved Asparagus-Egg Pizza w/Truffle Oil
Recipe by Shannon
Serves 2

pizza dough (I used a portion of Jenna's recipe made with white whole wheat flour, ~6-8oz)
3-4oz goat cheese
~1T milk
10-12 asparagus spears (or more, I lost count)
2 eggs
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
black truffle oil

Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 425deg.

Mix goat cheese with milk using the back of a spoon until it becomes spreadable, almost saucy.     Holding the tough end of the asparagus spears, use a vegetable peeler to create thin shavings of asparagus.  This works best when the asparagus is laying flat on your counter or cutting board.  Discard the tough ends.   Crack the eggs into a bowl (two bowls, or one at a time).   Roll out pizza dough to the size of your pizza stone or pie plate (I usually use a light dusting of cornmeal or flour).

Once the pizza stone has preheated, transfer the dough to the pizza stone.  Spread the goat cheese over the dough, then top with shaved asparagus.  I made two little pockets in the asparagus for each of the eggs, then carefully added the eggs to the pizza.  Sprinkle with some salt and pepper.   Bake for 10-12min, until the crust is nice and crispy and the egg is barely set (I was going for a runny yolk, but overshot a bit).  Remove from oven, drizzle generously with truffle oil, slice and serve!


I got some black truffle oil as a christmas gift, and it was my first time trying it.  It smelled much stronger than it tasted.  Does anyone know if this always the case?  I expected it to impart a stronger flavor to the dish, but it was happy as a subtle complement to the fresh asparagus.  Have you ever tried asparagus on pizza?

28 comments:

Joanne said...

Great minds definitely do think alike! I love the egg on top along with the goat cheese. I think I need to go buy some asparagus...

Anonymous said...

I always admire people who think up such creative pizza recipes, mainly because I have such a great adoration for pizza. I love eggs on anything but never thought about putting it on pizza! Very creative.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly said...

YUM...asparagus pizza...YES PLEASE!!!

Lauren said...

I have recipes for shaved asparagus pizza AND egg-topped pizza bookmarked... I might have to scrap both of those and just make this hybrid :). Looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Shannon that pizza looks fantastic. Hee hee I had similarly made something with shaved asaparagus ( though I just put it on top of steak!) I think you have inspired me to try making pizza at home!

Kerstin said...

I just saw Deb's post and couldn't believe it! Great minds definitely think alike :) This was SO yummy!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

i love asparagus! and i put it in my salads and just where ever i can add it...pizza, would be great!

Rosiecat24 said...

Wow, what a neat recipe! The eggs on top are genius--I love baked eggs.

And doesn't Jenna have the best recipes over at Eat, Live, Run? I have made her frittata recipe twice now. It's wonderful.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

oh yum! That looks so tasty!

♥peachkins♥ said...

what a healthy and delicious pizza!
The Peach Kitchen
blowing peachkisses
peach and things

vanillasugarblog said...

oh heavens girl i just love this. the egg just totally makes it.

Erica said...

WOW! This looks so cool. I love the egg on top. And goat cheese- so good on pizza. Beautiful chicky! Enjoy your trip btw! wow!!

Elina said...

I have all the ingredients. I'm making this tomorrow!!!

We Are Not Martha said...

I just saw the post over at Smitten Kitchen and was thinking that I need to make one TOO! So funny that you both created very similar pizzas :) I've never made a pizza with an egg on it, but it's seriously a life-long dream of mine :) Looks amazing!

Sues

Esi said...

I saw that asparagus pizzza on SK, but I think yours sounds even better. Love the egg and truffle oil

carla said...

that looks great!!
and no.
Ive taken tentative nibbles at the spears when they arrive on my plate at a fancypants restaurant and thats about it for me.

so far anyway :)

Sagan said...

That sounds fantastic. Eggs + pizza + asparagus = TASTINESS. I've had chopped asparagus on pizza but never even thought to shave it!

Faith @ LovelyAsCharged said...

That sounds so unique! I never would have thought to put egg and asparagus on a pizza.

Kathleen said...

Love the idea of shaved asparagus!

Reeni said...

This is so unique! And very delicious! I love the eggs on it!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pizza, sounds excellent with shaved asparagus and truffle oil. Most truffle oils do have a smell that's a lot stronger than the taste except an organic one I tried recently; that one was very delicate.

Juliana said...

Wow, great idea...pizza topped with asparagus...tasty and healthy :-)

Jess said...

I've put asparagus on pizza several times, but I used whole spears. Makes much more sense to shave it. I need to try the egg!

Sophie @ yumventures said...

You know, Deb's looks amazing, but yours with the egg on top? Just fabulous!!

Pretty Zesty said...

I love to cut up asparagus this way too for salad!

Natalie said...

what a creative dish--i love asparagus on pizza but have never added eggs to pizza. i'll try sometime!

Kelly said...

Coincidences, coincidences. I too love asparagus on pizza although I have never had it paired with the egg. My favorite pizza at Figs had ham and asparagus with caramelized onions and it was quite yummy. Makes me thing I should make some asparagus pizza while it is still in season.

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

i never thought to slice asparagus that way! clever. the pizza looks epic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips