Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lentils & Healthworks

I've been trying to get better about using the ingredients I already have and these dishes did just that--lentils from the pantry and salmon from the freezer!  Spinach, cheese and some form of onions are also always in my fridge.    While I didn't grow up eating lentils,  every time I make them I tell myself to do it more often.

The first dish came from Cooking with Mr. Latte, which I think would make for nice, light beach reading should you be somewhere like that ;)   Seared salmon over a bed of black beluga lentils in a vinegar-y dressing topped with some crispy shallots...  a delicious meal indeed!

Salmon w/Lentils

The other dish originated at Orangette, but I spied it at The Way the Cookie Crumbles.  I'm so glad I discovered lentils :)  Chewy wheat berries contrasted nicely with the soft caramelized onions and lentils.  Add in some spinach and a little salty feta, and another great meal!

Wheat Berries w/Lentils, Caramelized Onions & Feta


One more thing before I go...  I recently had the pleasure of attending a Healthworks Blogger event!  Maybe you've already read about it?   It was great to meet some new bloggers and put faces to blogs  :)   I must say, Healthworks a pretty awesome gym.  They have a ton of classes (I'm a fan of Bodypump and yoga) and it really feels like I'm in a high-class establishment.  Are you in the Boston area?   Want to try out Healthworks?   You're in luck--  Click here for a 3-day pass to Healthworks!

19 comments:

brandi said...

i love lentils, too! Those dishes look great. I don't think I've ever tried salmon with lentils, but now I want it. :)

Lauren said...

The Healthworks event must have been so much fun... wish I had known about it!

I have a bag of lentils in my pantry that I MUST use. Thanks for the inspiration :).

Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete said...

I must always run at White Rock Lake when I visit my family in Dallas. There is the coolest cafe (Cafe Lago) near WRL, and my regular noms there is a smoked-salmon sandwich on pumpernickel (with sweet potato fries, hehe). This is how I fell in love with lentils! I love the taste of it with the fish.

Esi said...

I love lentils. These dishes sound great.

Unknown said...

I wish Healthworks were closer to me, but they are just far enough away that it's a pain to get to and I wouldn't be consistent. :P

Rosiecat24 said...

Ooh, I like the idea of wheat berries with lentils! I've got some cooked wheat berries stashed in the freezer now and love the idea of making a summery salad topped with onions and feta. I might have to slip some mint in there ;-)

Cara said...

I didn't grow up eating lentils either, but I really like them now too! The Healthworks event sounds like a blast :)

Joanne said...

I walked by the healthworks at MIT all the time when I lived there...it seemed like an awesome place!

Oh I love lentils. And salmon. And wheatberries. So much goodness in one place today!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

What great ways to use lentils!!!

Diana said...

Mmm, love lentils! Of every color! Maybe I should make a rainbow lentil dish with every kind of lentils I can get my hands on. Actually, on second thought, maybe that would cause too many toots. ;) Would love to try the salmon with lentils!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

"I've been trying to get better about using the ingredients I already have and these dishes did just that"---GOOD FOR YOU!

I try to do the same...use up exisitng before buying new. Good motto to live by :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

this dish looks really good. I wanted to try this lentil soup recipe I found...

blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

Anonymous said...

Excellent dishes with lentils! I need to put lentils on my shopping list this week!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

lentils make a great side dish....I have not had wheat berries....they sound like a wonderful compliment to lentils

Dewi said...

I am not a lentil person, but my husband can it lentil pretty much for the whole of his life. I must try to make more inviting lentil dishes like yours Shannon.

sophia said...

I loved Cooking With Mr Latte! I first read it about 5 years ago! :-)
Both the dishes sound like something I would love. I've only just started cooking with lentils.

Kerstin said...

I love lentils too and both recipes look so tasty! I could use a nice healthy lentil meal right now, after all of this heavy food :)

Reeni said...

The lentils and wheat berries sound really delicious - great flavors! And the salmon too. I get mad craving for it at this time of year.

Erica said...

I do the same thing! I rarely make homemade lentils, but when I do...I question why I don't do it every week? Both dishes look good, but I think I'd love the second. The healthworks event looked like so much fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips