Monday, May 24, 2010

Rancho Gordo Baked Beans

I think it was around Christmas when I mentioned that I had gotten some dried heirloom beans and a cookbook from Rancho Gordo.   I usually go for the convenience of canned, but one weekend I decided to go ahead and get some Yellow Eye beans soaking.   I totally dropped the ball on photographing these beans, as they were quite lovely.   


(Image Source)

While they were soaking, I decided to try a recipe for baked beans, as I thought they might be a good addition to a bbq.  After soaking, they get cooked for awhile on the stovetop.  While it took awhile for the beans to soften, it was a "get it simmering and leave it while you do other things" kind of time.  Then it was time to meet some onions and sauce overnight in the crockpot.


I followed the recipe straight from the cookbook so I urge you to check it out (I couldn't find it online).   If the way these beans tasted is any indication, I'd totally pick up the cookbook :)   If you're in the market for a baked beans recipe...  shoot me an email.


When I woke up the next morning and went out to the kitchen I seriously contemplating eating them for breakfast.  Instead I packed them up for lunch with an oven-roasted sweet potato (really, it's the only way!) and some cottage cheese (not in the picture).  Absolutely amazing.


I raved about the meal to my friend who gave me the beans, and had her over for dinner the following week.  Of course I had to make more of those baked beans :)  I couldn't get them out of my head!   This time I served the beans over a bed of roasted kale and oven-roasted sweet potatoes.   They were a hit, and I'm thinking I might need to order more yellow-eye beans...

Do you liked baked beans??       Have you ever (or regularly) cooked your beans from scratch??

26 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

This looks really delish!

Lauren said...

I love baked beans! I've never made them from scratch using dried beans, but I'm sure it's well worth the time and effort.

pigpigscorner said...

I love baked beans but have never cooked it from scratch. Yours look sooo good!

Joanne said...

That cookbook sounds seriously awesome and you definitely chose the best way to eat the baked beans. The sweet potato is always the perfect vessel :P

Juliana said...

Oh! I love baked bean, but have to confess that never made from scratch...will have to try one of this days.

Diana said...

Wow those sound amazing, especially the crockpot part. ;) I would totally try this recipe if it doesn't involve a big ham bone or anything. Assume it's simpler than that?

Sophie @ yumventures said...

Looks amazing, I love baked beans. Good thing I moved to bean town :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

oh yum! What a great dish :)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly said...

Fresh beans are BEST! I usually tend to go for canned during the warmer months but during the winter I love to make fresh beans!

Anonymous said...

These beans sound awesome! I've never made beans from scratch, really need to try soon!

Kait said...

I love baked beans, especially cooked from scratch. It's been a while, but your post has reminded me that I should make some for the next BBQ.

sophia said...

Because I am a cheap Asian...I ALWAYS cook my beans from scratch...it saves me tons of money! bling bling$$

I adore baked beans. Particularly one made with maple and bacon. I also made my own once. :-)

Elina said...

I cooked my beans from scratch a few times but usually just go for the canned variety. Convenience wins in this case because I feel like i'm getting the same product at the end (and they're still cheap canned).

Momgateway said...

Shannon, these look so tempting...I will have to try this

Jess said...

Yum! Yes, I've made baked beans from scratch and it takes forever, but it's good. I used the recipe in How to Cook Everything.

Anonymous said...

That's so funny because my husband and I were just talking about a baked bean dish we had at a bbq last year - it had like 4 different kinds of beans, bacon, etc.

I need to make them from scratch - so much better than canned and you can control the sodium.

xoMeghan said...

As a guest for the dinner, all I can say is that this was an AMAZING meal!!!!

Kelly said...

I love the baked beans/sweet potato combo, yum!

Natalie said...

hmm never tried baked beans from scratch and never tried them with a sweet potato. you've inspired me though :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

Ahhh the beans! YUM!!! Ok those look divine! Way to go Shannon! I would love to sample them. I never make beans from scratch as I have no patience but I really should! Also, hubs doesnt "love" beans and I cant eat tons so the batch-size scares me off a bit too :)

good luck packing for your trip...OMG how awsome!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I really do liked baked beans. I love them with sweet potatoes too ;)

I've never actually tried them from scratch though!

Rosiecat24 said...

I love baked beans! But I've never made my own. I've definitely cooked beans from scratch many times, but more often than not, I open a can. It's just so easy ;-)

I have heard such amazing things about Rancho Gordo beans that they are on my list of Things to Try. Perhaps this fall, when it cools down and I like the idea of something simmering on the stovetop?

Reeni said...

I imagine the smell was outrageous when you woke up! Sounds delicious with a sweet potato. Never made a bean dish from dry beans. But I have sprouted dry chickpeas for hummus.

Fresh Local and Best said...

I'm going to have to try those yellow beans. I love Rancho Gordo beans, my favorite is Mother Stallard. I bet this was an incredible dish.

We Are Not Martha said...

Mmmm I love baked beans! I've never made my own from scratch, but my dad does it all the time and they're SO good. I especially love baked beans with sweet potato too. Now I have a craving!!

Sues

Alicia said...

mmm - i'm having baked beans tonight (but from a can - boo) I need to try and make them from scratch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips