Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bites from other blogs

I've made a bunch of unaltered recipes from fellow bloggies, so I thought I'd share the goods.

I made Super Soft Pumpkin Cookies (complete w/PB Choc Chips) for work, but somehow they all got eaten before i managed to remember a picture! Well received for my first treat :)


With the other half of my jicama, I made Grilled Corn, Mango & Jicama Salad. Anything with avocado and mango wins in my book, the constrast of the crunchy jicama made for an awesome salad! ps- i used frozen roasted corn and mango, just defrosted them before tossing the salad.



Another new ingredient for me this week (i might need a break-- it takes alot of work to use new ingredients!!), Maple-Grilled Tempeh. I used the marinade on the tofu posted the other night. I paired the tempeh with some roasted sweet potato, spinach sauteed with garlic, and goat cheese. It was quite tasty, and I'm glad I tried it! (I used a 3-grain tempeh)



Back in my cranberry sauce, I mentioned I used some maple sugar discovered at the farmers market. Maple sugar is what's left after all the water is boiled off of maple syrup. I bought it in a block that I could grate to get more bang for the buck, but here's what the package looked like. It can be used 1:1 for regular sugar in recipes to impart a slight maple flavor (w/o worrying about throwing off the dry-wet balance with maple syrup).


I bring this up, as I thought it would be an excellent pairing in the Apple Cinnamon Muffins I was planning on making. Delish!!!



I'm off to Philly for the weekend to try and finish up some experiments for a paper I'm trying to publish, so we'll have to wait and see what culinary non-adventures happen next week!

23 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Love all the blogger recipes you've tried!! Fabulous!!

Have fun in Philly!!1

Meg said...

What a fabulous food day! Everything looks so good! Thanks for all the links. I might have to make some pumpkin cookies soon!

Erica said...

Everything looks fabulous! Especially the muffins..mmm mm. I hope you have so much fun in Philly! I will miss your posts while you're gone ;)

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

I like this idea, make a variety of recipes exactly from other blogs, it's a good way to actually get myself to make some of the recipes on my "to do" list. They all look like they turned out great!

Anonymous said...

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

Anonymous said...

so cool that you tried all these out! there are definitely so many recipes on all these blogs that need to meet my kitchen asap.

Darius T. Williams said...

I'm loving these that you've given a chance...they look great!

Eat a cheese steak for me!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

alexandra's kitchen said...

i'm so curious about the tempeh. i've been making tofu a lot recently, but i have no idea what i'm doing. i've baked it and pan-fried, and both times, it has been all about the sauce. i'm going to check out your recipe.

Anonymous said...

the tempeh looks amazingggg! mmm i love tempeh!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow those muffins look amazing!

And I love the jicama/mango/corn combo!

I have BBQ Bacon flavored tempeh in my fridge - I'm afraid to make it but after all your trials this week - I think I just need to take the plunge!

Happy Halloween!

Anonymous said...

You psyched about the Philly win? Maple sugar sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Have a great time Shannon!

Anonymous said...

Love all the new recipes, but I agree. Too many new recipes at once can get pretty tiring... I loooove tempeh though so I may have to duplicate your recipe!

Kalyn Denny said...

Hi there,

Will you please send me an e-mail. I have some good news for you.

kalynskitchen (at) comcast (dot) net

Camilla said...

ttfn! I LOVE your blog!!! I love that you were the taste tester for these other recipes--they all sound so yummy (glad to know I'm not alone in my love of tempeh)

Was also excited to read we have commonalities (the phd transtion-whee!!! hope you're surviving) and formerly philly (i did my undergrad outside philly)

I'll be checking in lots :)

HangryPants said...

Everything looks delicious! Have fun in Philly!

Anonymous said...

ooh - that corn and mango salad looks so yummy and refreshing!

miss v said...

those apple cinnamon muffins look so yummy. normally, i'm not a breakfast person, but you can't go wrong with apples and cinnamon.

Ivy said...

Hi thanks for visiting my blog. Recipes from bloggers always turn out to be the best.

Maria said...

Looks like you tried some fabulous recipes!!

HeatherBakes said...

ALL of those recipes look/sound delicious! Soft pumpkin cookies sound right up my alley, and jicama is so great in salads- love the crunch and how it absorbs whatever dressing you put on it. Great job :)

MacDuff said...

I'm so going to try your tempeh recipe. That's one food I just don't utilize enough.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips