Thursday, September 9, 2010

Corn Pesto

As soon as I read the words "corn pesto" in August's issue of Bon Appetit,  I knew I'd be making it.   I love all things corn, and this was no exception.   Now, if only I still had some ears sitting in the fridge...


Pasta w/Corn Pesto
adapted slightly from Bon Appetit
Serves 2

I eyeballed all of these amounts, so don't feel bound to your measuring spoons!  

1 1/2-3T extra virgin olive oil, divided
2c fresh corn kernals
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4t coarse salt
3/8t fresh ground black pepper
2T pine nuts
1/4c finely grated Parmesan
fettucine (I used some Spinach-Garlic Fettuccine I had on hand)
1 small (or 1/2 of a large) tomato, diced
fresh torn basil leaves, optional

Bring a large pot of water to a boil as you prepare the pesto.

In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 1/2-1T oil on medium heat.  Add corn, garlic, salt and pepper and saute until corn is just tender, only a few minutes.

Reserve 1/2c corn and add the rest to a food processor (or blender).  Add pine nuts and parmesan, and process until smooth, drizzling in 1-2T oil through the feed tube until it comes together.  Add to reserved corn and set aside.

Cook pasta until al dente.  Reserve a bit of the cooking liquid, then drain the pasta and return to the pot.  Add corn pesto and ~1/4c of the cooking liquid, then toss to coat.  Serve, topped with some freshly torn basil leaves and tomatoes.


What's the best thing you've made (or eaten) this summer with corn??   I'm still thinking about the corn flan I had at Tilth...  I need to try and recreate it!!

ps- if you're interested in trying the new Larabar flavors, check out Katie's awesome giveaway!!

21 comments:

Lauren said...

Awesome recipe! I'm going grocery shopping today and will have to pick up the ingredients to make this before corn disappears from the stores.

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

That sounds SO good. Last time I had corn though, it wasn't that fresh. Summer is definitely winding down :(
Best corn recipe? Hmm, maybe a corn/tomato salad I made for my bbq... or maybe lemon/butter pan fried corn.
Change your posts in google!!!! Haha, now I sound bossy. ;)

vanillasugarblog said...

where did you find spinach-garlic fettucine? that alone sounds wonderful.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

This corn pesto sounds so good! The best thing I made with corn is simple boiled corn topped with sriracha butter. It was delicious!

Reeni said...

Too funny! I made this pesto last night and am making the pasta tonight. I knew as I soon as I saw it I would be making it too. You adaption looks delicious!

Sarah said...

Corn pesto, what a BRILLIANT idea! Thank you for posting the recipe, this sounds amazing.

Delicious Dishings said...

I had a bad experience with this recipe (my basil had bugs and I had to improvise with basil pesto I had previously made and frozen). The corn I got wasn't that great either, and the whole thing gives me bad memories. I'm so happy yours turned out so much better! It's definitely an interesting concept and I really thought I'd love it.

Triple Threat Ladies said...

Nothing like fresh corn on the cob on the grill! Love it!

Although your pesto recipe sounds pretty amazing as well...I am going to need to try this recipe out!

Joanne said...

I have actually been DYING to make this since I got that issue as well! I better get to it otherwise it will have to wait until next year. This looks fantastic!

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

this looks great, shannon! and can i just say i am so glad your full posts shows in google reader now.

Esi said...

So many bloggers are making this recipe. Guess that's a sign that it's good!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

Corn pesto?? What a brilliant idea!!!!

We Are Not Martha said...

Oh, wow! I'm still in the middle of a pesto obsession, so this is one I might have to try out before summer is gone for good. It looks amazing :)

Sues

Kerstin said...

Oh wow, what a creative pesto - love it and I can see why you immediately made it -yum!

Larissa said...

Looks awesome! I cannot even remember seeing that in the magazine...thanks for sharing!

Sophie @ yumventures said...

I've never heard of a pesto without herbs as its base, looks so good!

Anonymous said...

Corn pesto sounds terrific, a must try for sure!

Erica said...

This sounds just awesome. I love all things corn as well. I honestly really enjoyed raw corn cut right off the cob on salads this summer= fantastic!

Dewi said...

Corn pesto sounds so unique and delicious !

Cara said...

This sounds so good, I'm hoping to get a chance to make it while there's still sweet fresh corn around!

eatme_delicious said...

I saw a few other corn pestos around blogs and then forgot about them and now it's almost too late! :( Maybe this weekend. Your pasta dish looks so amazing, and I love that you put chopped tomatoes on top.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips