Sunday, September 5, 2010

Peaches!

Before apples are taking over my kitchen, I wanted to share this peachy creation with you.  I have The Flavor Bible to thank for inspiring this creation, as my jar of saffron has sat unopened for awhile out of fear ;)  I don't know quite how to describe it...  mellow?  subtle?   I do know that it was delicious, and enjoyed by all!



Saffron Peach Ice Cream
Recipe by Shannon, basic method from The Vegan Scoop

2 cans light coconut milk
2T arrowroot
1/2c evaporated cane juice (I bet brown sugar would also be phenomenal)
scant 1/2t saffron (a pinch)
1T vanilla
3-4 peaches, divided

Measure out 1/4c coconut milk and whisk in 2T arrowroot until smooth, set aside.  Combine the rest of the coconut milk, sugar and saffron in a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. 

While heating, puree 1 large peach in a blender or food processor to yield ~1c puree.

Just as the coconut milk mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and whisk in arrowroot mixture, vanilla, and peach puree.  Let cool, then refrigerate a few hours until mixture is well chilled.

Dice another peach and set aside.  Churn in an ice cream maker, according to manufacturing directions, adding the diced peach while churning.

Dice the remaining 1-2 peaches and serve with the ice cream!

(You could dice all 3 peaches at once, but they'll start to discolor a bit when stored in the fridge so I wrote the instructions to achieve the brightest colors and peak freshness.)



Thanks to everyone who entered my giveaway and commented on my last two posts!!  Thanks to random.org, the winner of the $90 CSN giveaway is brandi!  Brandi, congrats :)  Shoot me an email, and you'll be ordering some of the Pfalzgraff Cappuccino collection before you know it! 

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!  Anyone doing anything fun??

25 comments:

Faith @ lovelyascharged said...

You know, I wouldn't have ever thought to put it in ice cream! I've been dying to do a saffron rice dish for a while but it's so dang expensive!

Delicious Dishings said...

Wow.... saffron in ice cream. How elegant! I love The Flavor Bible.

Lauren said...

Great use of peaches! I rarely have saffron on hand, but if I ever do, I'll have to try this ice cream. Plans this weekend are to basically enjoy this glorious weather we're having in Boston!

Joanne said...

Saffron and peaches...I don't think I would have thought to pair those together but now that I think about it, I see why they work! I would love a bowl of them smothered in some whipped cream. Homemade of course!

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

wooooah. peaches and ice cream are my two favorite foods.. this takes them both to a whole new level!

Unknown said...

peaches are my best friend in the summer, just can't get enough. I must try it with the coconut milk!!

Erica said...

Saffron? In ice cream? What a neat touch! I love peaches...I love appes too...but I'm not sure I'm ready for fall yet ;). Lots to catch up on tomorrow! And going to a minor league baseball game

Ricki said...

That ice cream really does look amazing. . . great way to use up those peaches! And I can't believe I'm so behind on my blog reading that I totally missed the giveaway--waah! But congrats to Brandi.

Hope you have a great long weekend, Shannon! :)

sophia said...

Wow, Shannon, this is a really cool way to use saffron, no pun intended! I love this original twist to peach ice-cream. Way to use the most expensive spice on earth!

p.s. you attending Foodbuzz Fest again?

Cara said...

I need to ask - how does this freeze, with the light coconut milk? Are you able to scoop it the next day?

And on to the saffron. I have some that a friend gave me as a gift and I feel so bad I haven't touched it yet! I am planning to make some cinnamon ice cream this week to go with our Rosh Hashana desserts (an apple cake a cranberry almond tart.) Do you think saffron in the cinnamon ice cream might be a nice touch?

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Wow, saffron ice cream sounds really interesting!

Meghan said...

Oh the ice cream. SO so delicious!!!! And we loved the Muffcakes too!!!!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

The flavor bible has been on my to-buy list ever since you first blogged about it. This combo sounds so cool. I have saffron too and have never used it. Love that this is vegan too :) The one I'll be making tomorrow definitely won't be - I have 1 cup of heavy cream in the fridge, itching to be made into ice cream ;)

Esi said...

Love the peach and saffron combo.

Kelly said...

Yum. I love the Flavor Bible. It's such a fabulous go to resource. I also love fresh peaches. I got a lot of Michigan peaches from the farmers market and they have been pure heaven.

Unknown said...

Wow Shannon, that looks absolutely fantastic! I never would have thought to put those two flavors together.

Joyti said...

O delicious...and the color of your ice cream is SO pretty. I love saffron ice cream, but never paired it with peaches. What a great idea.

Anonymous said...

This ice cream sounds amazing! I love the addition of saffron!

Reeni said...

This sounds especially delicious with the coconut milk! And I would never think to put saffron in ice cream - it's different - in a good way.

We Are Not Martha said...

I totally need to get my hands on the Flavor Bible (or at least borrow the copy I bought my dad). Saffron and peaches sound amazing! And it looks so pretty, too :)

Sues

R3 Method Show said...

Why didn't I think of that?:)

Anonymous said...

My daughter got me an icecream maker for mother's day - love it!

I'll have to give this one a tri - get it?! Ha, too funny!

Hope you are having a good week Shannon!

Maria said...

I am in peach heaven right now. I can't wait to try this recipe!

brandi said...

Wahoo!!! Ohmygosh I'm so excited!!!

About the win AND that ice cream!

Kerstin said...

The coconut saffron peach combo just sounds incredible and so refreshing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips