Monday, July 13, 2009

Melon Mondays

I had some friends over for dinner last night, where the not-so-secret ingredient was melon! Over the next 5 Monday's, I'll share one of the recipes from the night--so you're not as overwhelmed as my guests may have been :)

We'll start with the appetizer--Melon Prosciutto Bruschetta. While I'm not a huge fan of proscuitto-wrapped melon, this was an attempt to recreate an amazing app I had at a wedding that I recently attended. I think it actually came pretty close, although I was the only one who had something to compare it to! I think it was a hit, hopefully they'll chime in ;)




Melon Proscuitto Bruschetta
Recipe by Shannon



1c finely diced honeydew
1c finely diced cantaloupe
1 finely dieced serrano, jalapeno, or the like
juice of 1 lime
1-2T chopped mint
1-2T chopped basil
squirt of siracha (more or less to taste)
desired baguette (I used a peasant bread from Trader Joe's)
EVOO
fresh chopped parsley (or some of the fresh frozen variety)
prosciutto

The night or morning before serving, prepare the melon bruschetta. Combine the first 7 ingredients and let the flavors combine for a few hours. Adjust seasoning to taste, I was hoping to give it a little kick.

Before serving, remove the bruschetta from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. Slice baguette into thin rounds (mine was more like a loaf, so I cut the larger center pieces in half). Lay rounds in a single layer on cookie sheet. Drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle lightly with parsley. Toast either under the broiler or at a high temp (400 or higher) in your oven until nicely browned.

Slice prosciutto into approximate size of toasts (for my pieces, I got 4 rounds from each slice of prosciutto). Place prosciutto on warm toasts after they come out of the oven. Top with a spoonful of bruschetta (drained of any juice) and serve!

33 comments:

Alyssa said...

This bruschetta is amazing! It's even good without the meat. Shannon, thanks for giving the quasi-vegetarian in the crowd a chance to sample this treat:)

Dewi said...

Delicious!!!!!!!
I just had watermelon 5 minutes ago. Your bruschetta sound deeeelish!

Erica said...

I would never think to top the bread with melon, but I bet it was a great salty/sweet combo. The melons are out of this world right now- a great "not secret" ingredient!!

MizFit said...

I should be embarrassed but Im not.
IM WAY MORE IN FOR MELON MONDAYS than the MEATLESS.

melons are my fave part of the summer as I could so pass on the unrelenting TX heat.

♥peachkins♥ said...

Wow! This looks really delicious! The melon is very refreshing in this dish, I'm sure.

Lauren said...

I happen to be a big fan of prosciutto and melon together, so this appetizer is right up my alley. Wonderful use of melon... I can't wait to read about the other recipes!

Joanne said...

This is definitely a classic flavor combination, although I've never seen it with honeydew. Definitely intriguing, though. I can't wait to see what you did with the rest of the melons!

allijag said...

I don't think it's possible for you to post a recipe I don't like! :)

Krista said...

Melon week is off to a great start!!!

Kelly said...

Yummy. What a great twist on melon wrapped with prosciutto.

Anna said...

Ooo I love melon paired with savory food. The salty-sweet combo is just so good!

Bec said...

love the melon savory combo cant wait to see the rest of the recipes!

Adam said...

Hmmm pretty interesting with the proscuitto. I never would of thought of that, but I bet it works for the salty/sweet thing. Nice touch with the "rooster" sauce too, I saw that :)

Diana said...

So elegant! You can't go wrong with prociutto and melon.

Sharon said...

Wow, those are so pretty! I love the colors and the new take on bruschetta.

Daryl said...

It's all about the basil and mint. That is what made it over the top delicious.

Pam said...

What a tasty and creative appetizer!

healthy ashley said...

I've never thought of using melon for anything other than a plain snack or fruit salad!

You have some lucky guests :)

Reeni said...

This looks delicious! Love the sweet and saltiness!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! Love the combination of flavors - especially the hot pepper!

Thanks for sharing - can't wait to see the rest of them!

Kerstin said...

How creative, it looks like the perfect appetizer! Can't wait to see the rest of your recipes :)

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

ooo cant wait. i never know what to do with melon except slice and eat

Karine said...

It sounds like to be a delicious bruschetta!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

oh... these look sooooooo appetizing!!! Can I have some?

Juliana said...

Love the mixture of melons...and the addition of mint in it...great appetizer.

Anonymous said...

Shannon, those look gorgeous! I love how you turned the melon into a cute little salsa :) Love it!
You are so gonna be the Next Food Network Star!

maris said...

This sounds like the perfect appetizer to serve in the summertime. I love melon and the prosciutto/cantaloupe combo is a no brainer!

maris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trying To Heal said...

that buschetta looks awesome! i love the mixture!

Emily said...

What a great way to use melon! I would never think to use it in bruschetta, but I'm sure it was delish.

Elina said...

Melon Mondays - love it! :)
What a fun app! I always get overwhelmed with finding the perfect entertaining appetizer (or 2 or 3...) and end up doing nothing or going the chips/salsa, hummus/veggies route. Lame. Love this one!!

Anonymous said...

that is so amazing! I love melon with proscuitto!

Sagan said...

Wow! What an idea. I just got a cantaloupe yesterday, too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips