Thursday, July 16, 2009

Summer Salads

Work sure does cut down on blogging time! ~sigh~ After four looonng days, I'm SO looking forward to the weekend :) Thought it might be appropriate to share some quick salads I've made starring summer fruit (can't get enough!).

The first made the unusual pairing of plums and roasted beets. At least it sounded unusual to me :) Also starring goat cheese, this was one salad that definitely did not disappoint! You can find the recipe for this Beet & Goat Cheese salad here. I used the packaged roasted beets for convenience, but you could certainly roast them yourself. My proportions may have been different as well, as I didn't measure.

Roasted Beet & Plum Salad

The second salad comes from a recipe I had seen over at Cooking Light. Looking at it now, however, I realize I did quite a few things differently :)

Grilled Peaches & Proscuitto Salad
adapted from Cooking Light
scale up/down to desired amount



peaches, cut into 6 sections
s/p
salad greens (I used a mix of baby spinach and spring mix)
proscuitto
balsamic vinegar (could reduce down and combine with honey if desired)
goat cheese

Spray peaches lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill ~1min on each side (I did this in a grill pan on pretty high heat) to see grill marks.

Lay proscuitto on small baking sheet and cook in toaster oven (or larger) until crispy. I think I did this at 350, but you could certainly do it higher, just keep an eye on it.

To assemble the salad, place peaches on a bed of greens, sprinkle on goat cheese (oops, I forgot). Crumble prosciutto over salad, then drizzle with balsamic vinegar (or syrup) and serve.

Grilled Peach & Proscuitto Salad

Relatively simple and delicious, these salads served as a reminder to play with my flavor combinations! Have you tried any interesting pairings lately??

24 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

Both salads looks divine! I love the grilled peaches.

Unknown said...

The grilled peaches look great! So yummy!

Erica said...

I can't get enough of fruit in salads right now. Both salads look great as I am currently loving goat cheese and grilled peaches! I hope your weekend brings you some relief ;)

GF Gidget said...

I have half a roasted beet chill-axin in my refrigerator, just begging to be put on a salad. What a coincidence!

brandi said...

i love fresh fruit in salads! peaches have been my favorite lately.

i'm more than ready for the weekend - this week has been way too long.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I seriously want to try grilling peaches!

Dewi said...

Delicious summer salad. The beets and the grilled peaches sound so good.

Char said...

I love eggs and avocados..Not sure if that is strange? But it is really tasty!

Bec said...

mm love the salads :)

Eve said...

Those look fantastic! Grilled fruit is really such a perfect summer treat, and a great way to spice up a salad!

Anonymous said...

Both salads look like perfect lunches or dinners, in the summer.

Diana said...

Those are some fun combinations! You are so good at eating in season!

Jess said...

I love fresh stuff like this (although not a fan of beets).

I've been throwing eggs on everything, although I'm not sure it's that unusual.

Anonymous said...

Oh the salads! Don't you just love summer? It's not the same eating a salad in the freezing winter, is it?

Kerstin said...

Such beautiful salads! The grill marks on those peachs look perfect!

Anna said...

Oooo grilled fruit is so heavenly! And goat cheese too. perfection.

Reeni said...

Peaches and prosciutto sound so good together! Plums and beets are interesting. I had a feta, dried cranberry, almond, and honey-mustard topped flatbread - it was really good.

Elizabeth said...

So great to meet you Shannon!

I'm loving this post... I think fruit is a great addition to salad, and am always looking for new ideas. I'm drooling over those peaches!!

:)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Love these salads especially since they are a little out of the norm.

Joanne said...

I love the idea of the peach and prosciutto salad. At least these summer meals are quick so that you can still eat well while working hard!

Sue said...

Those salads look amazing. It is hard to cook just for one but I am going to try!

Matt (No Meat Athlete) said...

Beet and goat cheese salads are so great! I usually eat them topped with a "burger," though it's of the veggie variety nowadays, all on top of a big piece of toasted rustic bread.

I had a salad when I was in Georgia the other day with peaches and blueberries, like a pie! It was really tasty.

Elina said...

I saw that salad in Cooking Light and wanted to make it. Thanks for reminding me. :) Oh and plums + beets sound unusual to me too, but I bet it was good. I love salads (especially those involving goat cheese + fruit)!!

Delicious Dishings said...

Both of these salads look phenomenal. I was going to say I loved the beet and goat cheese one and then I kept reading and saw the peach and proscuitto and I have no idea which I'd like better! I have to add both to my to-make list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips