Saturday, July 18, 2009

Stone Fruit Explosion

Well, I think summer finally made it to Boston, and my apartment is trying to sweat me out ;) I'm a little ashamed to say that I've made quite a few things lately that I haven't posted about, sometimes didn't even photograph... but I've got a few so I'll mention those that I really enjoyed.

Summer Fruit Gratin

If you find yourself with some (ok way too many for one person ;)) stone fruit, you might wind up trying all of these recipes for a Summer Fruit Gratin, Vanilla Honey-Poached Apriums, or a Plum Fool! No? You'd just do one? I like to give myself variety... and way too much work it seems! Lorna Sass also has a recipe for an upside-down peach berry cobbler in one of her books.

Upside-down peach berry cobbler

My fruit was all very ripe and deliciously sweet on its own, so I cut back on the sugar in all of the recipes. These recipes also take well to using your desired sweetener (turbinado instead of granulated sugar, agave for honey, you get the idea). The only other thing I changed was for the plum fool-- I folded the stewed fruit into greek yogurt (a mix of plain and vanilla), and it was delicious.

On a savory note, I have to mention Kerstin's Avocado Chicken Cakes. I'm sorry to say I prepared these for lunch and completely forgot to take a picture. But they were downright amazing--go check out her blog, and I'll see you back here for Melon Mondays ;)

19 comments:

Erica said...

YES! I love baking with peaches & plums- yum yum! I agree, I pulled back on the added sugar in almost all of the recipes I have used as of late- the fruit is sweet enough on its own! Hope you're having a fabulous weekend

Syrie said...

Gorgeous! I can't wait for summer fruits.

The Purple Carrot said...

Yum!! Those look like some wonderful ways to enjoy this delicious summer fruit :)

Adam said...

Ah, recipes after my own heart. I usually have plums to spare, so I'm soooo with you on this :)

Fitnessista said...

those looks so delicious! i love stone fruits-- so fresh and amazing in the summer!
have a wonderful day!

Dewi said...

Simply irresistible! Aren't we all enjoying this abundant fruit at the moment?

Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm enjoying some plums and peaches right now, actually! I haven't really tried baking with them though...they disappear from our house too fast!

Elina said...

Yeah dude, talk about apartments sweating you out - I think my work is trying to kill me by not turning on the AC on the weekends, which means ZERO air circulation and about 100* since there is no way to open windows here. It's like they don't want us working on the weekends. I wish I could comply. *Sigh*
Ok, on a positive/more delicios note - all that stuff looks and sounds amazing. And hello, chicken/avocado cakes? Yes, please! Where did you get all that stone fruit? I need some in my life asap. When are they going to be in season here? I miss peaches!!

Reeni said...

I saw those cakes on Kerstin's blog - they looked so delicious! I'm really enjoying all of the in-season fruit too!

Heather said...

those look so delicious!!

Kerstin said...

Mmm, what yummy summer fruit treats! I just made a blueberry cobbler this weekend and bought a bunch of peaches. I definitely need to get my hands on some plums too!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the avocado chicken cakes - thanks for the link love :)

Anonymous said...

Stone fruits are just delicious, right? I love that you cut bk the sugar - you're such a flexible cook and I love that about you :)
I ate a peach today and had to do it over the sink. :) JUICY!

carla said...

dang that peach berry cobbler looks great.

I mocked the cobbler.
relentlessly.
when I was a kid it was all about chocolatechocolate.
and then I turned 30 and my entire mouth changed!

brandi said...

the upside down cake looks awesome. I love having fresh stone fruits in the summer.

one of our favorite REALLY easy desserts to do is just halve them, take out the pit and grill! Peaches, plums, and apricots are all really good grilled.

Anna said...

Stone fruit is the BEST part of summer food! Well, and blueberries too. Grilling them is so good.

Kelly said...

I myself am THRILLED that summer is finally here. That looks absolutely amazing. I love summer fruits although lately mine have only been the strawberries and blueberries I've been getting in my CSA share.

Sagan said...

Liking the stone fruit. Good stuff!

Pam said...

I love any dessert with fruit - YUM.

Diana said...

Whoa, upside down cobbler is an AMAZING idea. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips