Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Bite of the Tropics

Snow.  Again.

To distract me a bit, I thought it was time for a taste of the tropics to transport us somewhere we don't need to shovel again!   When I was home for the holidays, my mom had some dates she wanted to use.   I took it as a mission to put them to good use ;)

Sugarplums dipped in chocolate

We tried some Sugarplums, since visions of them were already dancing in our heads!   I thought the orange zest in these would pair nicely with a hint of chocolate, so we dipped them in a little semisweet chocolate ;)

Choc-Dipped Fruit-Nut Balls
I loved the combination of dried fruits in Molly's Chocolate-Dipped Fruit-Nut Balls, which look like little acorns with their semisweet chocolate hats ;)


Pecan Pumpkin Pie Bites

These Pecan Pumpkin Pie Bites were my mom's favorite!!    I'm not normally into traditional pumpkin pie, but these are little nuggets of heaven :)   Be sure to check out Lauren's recipe, the only thing we did differently is to roll them in unsweetened coconut instead of pecans!


Tropical Balls

Inspired by the bag of macadamia nuts my mom had, I came up with this version to transport us to a warmer climate...

Tropical Bites
Recipe by Shannon
Yield 20-24

heaping 1c roasted, salted macadamia nuts
2/3c dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1/4c unsweetened coconut
1t agave (or more)
1/2t vanilla extract
zest of 1 lime
1/2t lime juice (or more)
white chocolate, for dipping  (I used ~1/2c white choc chips)

Pulse macadamia nuts in a food processor until they have been chopped.   Add dates, coconut, 1t agave, vanilla and lime zest, then mix until mixture is well-blended.  Taste, and add lime juice (or agave) until the mixture starts to ball up.

Remove mixture from the bowl and roll into balls, ~1" in diameter.  Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silpat.

Melt white chocolate in a double broiler over low heat.  Dip balls in chocolate and place back on parchment-lined sheet.  Place somewhere cool (outside works, if you've got as much snow as we do ;)) until chocolate hardens, then store in the fridge in an airtight container.  Enjoy, one at a time!  Or two, I won't tell!

18 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm not a big fan of dates on their own but as soon as they're mixed with something, i.e. chocolate or nuts, I love them. The pumpkin pecan ones sound awesome too.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

These tropical bites look adorable...if only they would bring tropical weather!

Anonymous said...

yep, i just came back inside from shoveling snow :) these tropical treats would be just perfect - love the dates and macadamia nuts and white chocolate! yum!

Lauren said...

Oohhh your tropical bites sound heavenly! I could have used one (or five) after shoveling my car out this morning ;). I'm glad the pecan pumpkin pie bites went over well!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

Ok, I can't believe I'm admitting this but I always thought that sugar plums were a type of fruit. No?
Whatever they're called - love these little balls. I got a giant container of dates at costco a few weeks ago and have yet to put it to use!

Joanne said...

I love these! They're like lara bars but in cut little almost truffle form. Delicious.

Jess said...

I've never tried sugar plums and always wondered what exactly they are. They look good!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

oh yummo!!!! So tropical indeed!

Kerstin said...

Yum, your tropical bites would be perfect for a pre-workout snack! Such a yummy treat!

Reeni said...

Visions of deliciousness! I love the sound of the pecan pie bites and your tropical bites - heavenly!

Kristen said...

nuggets of heaven indeed! they look tasty.

Erica said...

mmm tropical flavors. SO good. I long for big bowls of tropical fruit! Stay warm! I was in DC this week and had to deal with a little of the snow- ugh!

Rosiecat24 said...

Mmm, chocolate and orange is one of my favorite combinations! Yum!

Victor said...

Sounds heavenly delicious.

Angela said...

Yum! I always wondered what sugar plums were. They never looked half this good in my imagination!

Esi said...

I must say, I'm jealous of your snow, but glad you could transpot yourself out of it through these bites.

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com said...

your recipes are awesome!

Alisa Fleming said...

These all look fantastic Shannon! I don't know what it is, but I find "bites" and especially no-bake bites so irresistable. So simple, sweet, and fudgy like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips