Sunday, January 30, 2011

Baked Black Bean Dip

Are you ready for some football???   If you're in need of a quick and easy dish for a superbowl spread (or any other gathering), look no further.  This twist on a traditional seven-layer dip came together in minutes and after a short stint in the oven to melt the cheese, was ready to serve with tortilla chips.




I used a prepared salsa that already had onions, garlic and jalapenos, but you could always use some chopped tomatoes and lightly sauteed onions and garlic.  Adjust the heat levels to your own taste as well, adding an extra jalapeno or hefty shake of cayenne pepper.



If you don't have smoked paprika on hand, you could get the smokiness by adding in a chipotle pepper and a bit of adobo sauce when blending in the food processor.   This will bring some heat as well, so be careful when adding the cayenne!


One last note on texture.  I made this dip pretty smooth, if you're looking for a dip with a little bit goin' on, feel free to reserve some of the beans before blending together.  These can be mashed lightly with a fork and folded in by hand after the rest of the ingredients are well-mixed.  Adding some corn after blending the dip could also be a way to get some more texture.



Baked Black Bean Dip
Recipe by Shannon
Serves a crowd

2 16oz cans black beans (or 1 29oz can), rinsed and drained
1/2c Pace Mild Picante Sauce*  (or your favorite salsa)
1/2c 2% greek yogurt
1/4-1/2t cumin
1/4-1/2t smoked Spanish Paprika
dash cayenne
dash salt
juice of 1 lime
2-4oz grated cheese (I only had gruyere on hand, but cheddar or monterey jack might work better!)
scallions or herbs for garnish
tortilla chips for serving (Lime and Red Hot Blue Corn chips worked especially well)

Combine beans, salsa, greek yogurt, spices and lime juice in the bowl of a food processor.  Blend until smooth and ingredients well incorporated.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  This can be prepared ahead of time, simply refrigerate and then bake when ready to serve.

Preheat oven to 400deg.  Transfer bean dip into a baking dish (I used my 1qt au gratin dish).  Top with grated cheese and bake in preheated oven 15-20min, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.  Garnish with chopped scallions or herbs (parsley or cilantro) if you remember ;)  Serve with tortilla chips.



*I received a sample of Pace Picante Sauce at no cost as a part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program.  Thanks for inspiring this appetizer!


Will you be watching this Sunday (either the game or the commercials)?   Favorite get-together appetizer?

17 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

I think I would like this nice and smooth like you made it... and a little more mild!

I will likely be mindlessly watching a little football... and more likely baking something during the Super Bowl.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

This dip looks fabulous! I will definitely be watching the game and I haven't decided what to whip up for it yet!

Elizabeth said...

I've never melted cheese on top. I'll definitley have to try that.

Lauren said...

I love black bean dip, and this recipe sounds great!

Dips are big in our house, especially during football games. I'm planning to make a buffalo chicken dip & a pizza dip for the Super Bowl. John is going to be one happy guy!

Rosiecat24 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosiecat24 said...

Yum! I assume I'm invited to your Superbowl party? ;-) I'll bring cookies!

Joanne said...

This looks dangerously like something I could eat out of the bowl with a spoon. By which I mean...beautiful.

Kristen said...

Yum, great game day dip!

Erica said...

nom nom nom! Perfect for superbowl! I'm loving my pace salsa.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

oh this looks delightful!

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com said...

Looks yummmmmy! :)

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

I was trying to think of a meatless game snack and this sounds perfect! I even got the same jar of sauce. The superbowl is all about food for me ;)

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

PS - I like your new about me page :)

Katie said...

This looks perfect for Superbowl Sunday!! Wish you could come!!

Val said...

Yes, please!! This would be a great dip for the Super Bowl.

Kerstin said...

Such a great idea, and I think I'd like it really smooth! All that melted cheese on top is awesome too!

Elvis Presley said...

Oh, wow, this looks so good! I do like beans, and this dip is just awesome! Thank you for sharing this recipe =] I'm pinning it!

I'm having a big sale on my Blog Design store (themes, logos, etc): 35% OFF, only until Dec 31st! If you want to start 2014 with a design makeover, this is your chance!
- Link: http://gloriah.storenvy.com

I also offer other services, like building slideshows - Don's hesitate to contact me and tell me what you want =]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips