Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Butternut & Kale Lasagna


Butternut squash and kale are two of my favorite things in the winter.    I feel like I've been combining them everywhere, so don't be surprised if you see them again soon :)



I prepared the butternut squash puree and kale ahead of time, then made the pasta the day of.  If you're using homemade noodles, be sure not to roll them out too thin.   I did, and they disappeared into the lasagna.  Wasn't the end of the world, but I would've liked them a little thicker to hold up a bit more :)



Butternut & Kale Lasagna
Recipe by Shannon
Yield:  9"sq pan

2-3c roasted, pureed butternut squash*
~1T extra virgin olive oil
1 head kale, washed and destemmed, then roughly chopped
1 lg garlic clove, minced/pressed
1/2 onion, diced
1 batch homemade egg pasta, or other lasagna noodles  (check here for my recipe, I did a batch to serve 2)
1T butter
2T white whole wheat flour
1/4c porcini mushroom broth (reserved from the last time I reconstituted mushrooms, but you can use more milk)
1 1/2c milk
4oz goat cheese
1/2t salt
1/8t pepper
1/4t freshly grated nutmeg

The kale for the lasagna can be prepared a day or two ahead of time.   Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.  Add onion and kale, cover and cook for ~5min.  Remove cover and stir, continue to cook for another 5min or so until kale has wilted and onions softened.  Add garlic, stir and cook a few minutes.  Remove from heat and set aside.  Refrigerate until preparing the lasagna.

To make the goat cheese sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add flour and whisk, cooking for 1-2min.  Whisk in broth and milk and cook 5-10min, until it starts to thicken.  Remove from heat and crumble in goat cheese.  Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and whisk until goat cheese melts into sauce.  Keep over very low heat so it doesn't thicken as you assemble the lasagna.

Start assembling the lasagna by pouring enough sauce to cover the bottom of a 9" sq pan.  Add a little sauce on the bottom of the pan and then start layering!  Two sheets of pasta to cover the bottom of the dish, spread around ~1/4c squash, a sprinkling of kale and a spoonful of sauce.  Repeat until you've used all of your ingredients (or you've filled your pan!).  Top last layer with noodles and the rest of the goat cheese sauce.

Bake in a preheated 375deg oven for ~25min, until cooked through and bubbly.  Let cool 10-15min before serving to allow lasagna to set up.

*Roasted at 350deg for 1-1 1/2 hrs, flesh scooped out and pureed in a blender or food processor.

20 comments:

brandi said...

oh yum! I've been wanting to try making a butternut lasagna, and this one looks so good. I love the idea of using kale in it for color, too.

And you made your own pasta? :) Awesome!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I love butternut squash puree in lasagnas and adding kale changes it up from the typical use of spinach!

Lauren said...

What a delicious and healthy lasagna! I also love butternut squash and kale, and who doesn't crave lasagna in the winter?!

Joanne said...

I love that you made this in a cute little portion-controlled dish! And I love the butternut and kale combo...delicious.

Natalie said...

yesss another winning kale/bnut squash combo! I need to finally try making homemade noodles!

Unknown said...

are you going to start delivering these to us soon?! hehe. I hope so, look great!
LC

Unknown said...

That looks so delicious! I love butternut squash, though I've never known what to do with kale. This looks like a great combination!

Lizzy said...

I love kale and butternut squash. Those are two of my favorite things. That dish looks fabulous!!!

Elizabeth said...

This looks amazing. I love butternut squash and kale in anything.

vanillasugarblog said...

you know i gotta give you props for making your own egg pasta. i am afraid, very afraid to do it.
please make the SNOW GO AWAY!

Erica said...

For real- you have had SO many amazing recipes lately...I feel like I book mark every one :) I want to make this with spinach instead of kale (Josh isn't a kale fan). Fabulous!

Mary Ellen said...

This looks great. I love your blog because you make things I like but would never think to make myself!

Cara said...

hehe! I feel like the same foods appear in my kitchen (and on my blog) over and over again too. But really, who could get sick of butternut and kale? Not me!

Anonymous said...

So delicious with butternut squash puree and kale! Excellent!

We Are Not Martha said...

What a fabulous idea for a lasagna! I love any recipes that allow me to incorporate butternut squash :) And I like goat cheese much more than ricotta, so this lasagna is right up my alley!

Sues

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

oh that serving dish is too cute!!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

I need to make my own pasta!! I got the attachment for xmas but haven't even opened the box yet! Good tip on making the dough thicker - this lasagna looks fabulous :)

Kerstin said...

Yum, this sounds fabulous - I need to get some more butternut squash! And of course I love the goat cheese you added :)

Rosiecat24 said...

I like your cute baking dish!

Alyssa said...

This lasagna is divine! I highly recommend it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips