Friday, January 21, 2011

Project Baby Food

No, it's not what you think ;)   Have you noticed the string of freezer-friendly meals I've been posting?   Maybe I should've started with this post, but there was a method to my madness!  When I found out my cousin and his wife were expecting their first little one, I came up with the bright idea to prepare some food for them to have on hand when Caleb arrived.


Luckily I managed to get my act together and was able to hand off a cooler-full of goodies to the parents-to-be with a few weeks to spare.   I included print outs of the recipes, with cooking instructions and any extra ingredients highlighted.   They seemed pretty excited, and I sure hope it has come in handy amidst all the feeding and sleepless nights!


Be sure to check out the following recipes if you're ever looking to stock your freezer...
Turkey Chili w/Kale
Bean Burritos
Kale & Spinach Strata
Red Lentil Soup
Pumpkin Black Bean Enchiladas



Do you have a favorite freezer meal??

13 comments:

Erica said...

oh my gosh! How thoughtful. I wish you lived closer to me ;) ;)

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

You are incredibly thoughtful!

I'm heading up to see Bret's sister in a few weeks and I know things are a handful with their newest addition so I'm planning on making/bringing meatballs and sauce for subs at lunch and for leftovers for them!

Caratunk Girl said...

That is so cool! What a fabulous idea!! LOVE IT! Actually, I am going to steal it if you don't mind. I have a friend who is pregnant and I know this would be so helpful!

Elizabeth said...

This is so funny that you posted this now. For the past two weeks I've been on a streak of cooking big batches of soups and stews and sticking half in the freezer. I do it so I can make a lot but I don't have to worry about eating it for a week straight and getting sick of it. Instead I eat it a few times, and then a couple weeks later, I can have it again and all I have to do is heat it up. Perfect for days when you want something home cooked but don't feel like cooking.

Joanne said...

Yes, well now I know who to call when I get artificially inseminated. I mean...should I ever get pregnant. (TMI?) :P

You are going to be the best aunt EVER!

Lauren said...

That is so sweet! Lucky new parents. For Christmas I got my brother, his wife, and their two kids a gift certificate for a gourmet meal delivery service in Austin... I wish I could have brought them a bunch of homemade goodies instead. I want to make those pumpkin black bean enchiladas!

Unknown said...

how thoughtful indeed. I'm sure they will LOVE it. If not, send it to me!
LC

♥peachkins♥ said...

That is so thoughtful of you!

sophia said...

Most people would just bring in tuna casserole, or frozen boxed lasagna, but not you. You go all out and produce the most thoughtful, delicious, and nutritious meals. You're awesome. :-)

Rosiecat24 said...

What a great recipe list! And what a great stash of freezer meals for the new parents!

I'm not big into freezing things unless I'm going out of town. I find that freezing changes the textures in unpleasant ways, but it might be that I'm just not choosing the right recipes to stock the freezer. (Oh man, plus my freezer is so full right now...for example, I've got almost a quart of frozen fresh cranberries that I bought at Thanksgiving and then didn't use. Help!)

One exception: I do freeze baked goods, and I find I don't mind the texture after they thaw. It's better than throwing them out after they become stale!

Kerstin said...

This is so sweet of you - I'm sure they really appreciated and enjoyed all your yummy dishes :)

Reeni said...

What a sweet gesture Shannon! How lucky they are to eat your delicious food!

RhodeyGirl said...

This is so awesome and thoughtful. Thanks for sharing the link with me- it's been bookmarked!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips