Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pumkin Black Bean Enchiladas

Enchiladas are not something I grew up eating, so they're relatively new to me.  Tacos, burritos sure, but enchiladas?  Not so much.   I guess I need to make up for lost time ;)


In these enchiladas, the black bean-chipotle filling is balanced with a creamy pumpkin sauce.   They have a little kick, so dial back the chipotle if you're not into that sort of thing.  I've included directions for preparing and freezing the dish ahead of time, so it's great to make some now and have more for later ;)


Pumpkin Black Bean Enchiladas
Adapted from Bob & Everyday Food
Serves 4-6

1 15oz can pumpkin puree
2 1/2c water
2 lg garlic cloves, minced
2t salt
1/4t black pepper
1/8t ground cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
1t chili powder
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2c 2% greek yogurt
1 chipotle w/1-2t adobo sauce
1/4c chopped baby leeks (or scallions)
10-12 6" corn tortillas
grated sharp cheddar cheese for the top (3/4c or so)

Add pumpkin, water, garlic and spices (salt, pepper, cayenne and chili powder) to a blender and puree until smooth.

Add 1c black beans to the bowl of a food processor, along with the yogurt and chipotle and adobo.  Process until smooth and transfer to a bowl.  Add in the rest of beans and leeks/scallions and stir to combine.

Pour 1c pumpkin sauce into baking dish (either a 9x13 dish or 1/2c into 2 smaller ones), you really just need to coat the bottom of the dish.

Wrap corn tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for ~1min to soften.   Mound filling on tortillas (3-4T), one at a time, and roll up.  Place, seam side down in the baking dish.

If you're going to freeze the enchiladas to serve at a later date, cover surface with saran wrap and a layer of foil.  Pour the rest of the pumpkin sauce in a freezer-safe container and place the enchiladas and sauce in the freezer.  Don't forget to label them!

To bake unfrozen enchiladas, pour pumpkin sauce over enchiladas and top with shredded cheese.  Bake in preheated 400deg oven and bake for 25-30 min, until cheese has melted and sauce is bubbly.  Let cool a bit before serving.

To bake frozen enchiladas, thaw the pumpkin sauce in the refrigerator the night before (or thereabouts) you want the enchiladas.  When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400deg.   Remove the enchiladas from the freezer and remove plastic wrap.  pour thawed pumpkin sauce over enchiladas, cover with foil and bake for 30min.  Remove foil, top with shredded cheese and bake uncovered for another 30min, or until bubbly and cooked through.  Let cool a few minutes before serving.


Ok, so they don't quite photograph well, but they tasted delicious!!

Are you an enchilada fan?

23 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

ok. making this fo sho. love love love this shannon.

Maggs said...

Looks good. I'm going to give it a try!

Lauren said...

Now THESE are enchiladas ;). I loooove pumpkin, I'm definitely into chipotle, so I know I would enjoy these enchiladas. Bookmarked for sure.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

It is funny but I can probably count the number of times I've eaten enchiladas on one hand. Tacos and burritos are familiar to me but for some reason I rarely eat/make/order enchiladas or fajitas! I love the pumpkin sauce in this to give it a different flavor!

Anonymous said...

i honestly dont think ive ever had enchiladas before. i never really knew what they are until recently. i should try making them.

Candace said...

I grew up eating mexican food of all varieties but it never included pumpkin. I am loving pumpkin in savory dishes though so I'm definitely giving this a try. Yum!

Val said...

I know what is going on my weekend menu!! Thank you. Your enchiladas look amazing.

Joanne said...

I also haven't done much with enchiladas even though I LOVE them! This filling...well, I'm kind of in love.

MichellePC said...

I JUST made spinach, black bean and mushroom enchiladas last night. It was the first time I made them, and they were so easy and tasty! These look great, too!

Erica said...

owww- is the pumpkin flavor strong? If not, I'm definitely making these! The man isn't a pumpkin fan....Let me know! Looks fantastic

Kevin said...

These look awesome. I want to try making this someday.

Kevin
HalfTRIing.blogspot.com

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

I need to stop reading your blog before lunch! IT makes me too hungry!

Jess said...

Yes I am an enchilada fan! They're basically burritos and tacos, but baked with a sauce on top. :)

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

I've made enchiladas once... and liked them. These sound even better. I love the idea of freezing things for later... seriously, that's one of my goals for 2011 - learn this skill (and also develop go-to recipes that I can effortlessly make over and over... I need to start building my personal "recipe library.")

Reeni said...

These sound amazing Shannon! Love the idea of a pumpkin sauce!

Maris said...

I love pumpkin + black bean enchiladas! I love black bean anything, really but especially pumpkin!

Alisa Fleming said...

I used to love enchilads, but it's honestly been ages since I've made them. Another one on the to cook list!!

ManPreet Kaur said...

awsam blog dear... very nice dish///

Keep Visiting Dear Friends....Thanx
Lyrics Mantra
Music Bol

Elizabeth said...

These sound amazing. I really like enchiladas but I always think they're too much work. I totally might try this.

Anonymous said...

The black bean chipotle filling in combination with pumpkin sauce sounds excellent, these enchiladas are sure looking delicious!

Ricki said...

I'm not even sure I've ever had "real" enchiladas. But this recipe--definitely an "I want this now!" Love the combo of pumpkin and spice with the beans. It sounds fabulous!

Kerstin said...

The pumpkin, black beans, and adodo sound so lovely together - yum!

Candace said...

I made these this past week using what I had on hand and they were amazing. I just blogged it and gave you a shout out. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I will be making them again. Candace

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips