Thursday, March 24, 2011

Asian Sundae

There were a few skeptics in the bunch when I mentioned my wasabi ice cream.  Throw in the other asian condiments I intended to include (ginger, soy sauce and sesame seeds), and my capability of creating a delicious dessert was given a wary eye.




I was beyond excited when people began trying it and enjoying it.  I'll let them speak for themselves...

"I thought the Asian sundae was a really unique combination of some more traditional Asian ingredients that really complimented each other in flavor. ...  The additional of not only wasabi but also coconut to the ice cream really gives it an interesting flavor, and assures that the wasabi doesn't overpower the ice cream.  I'm generally not a big coconut fan (nor really a wasabi fan), but this flavor combo was amazing...and don't even get me started on the black sesame brittle...SO GOOD I can (and did) eat it on its own!!!"
"The Asian Sundae was awesome! I liked the contrast of flavors -- the sweetness of the brownie with the saltiness of the sesame brittle and the bite of the ginger and soy."
"This is in extraordinary dessert!  Some daring combinations with perfect results. Every bite is a new surprise. I complemented the chef by licking my plate.  Mmmmm.  Delicious!!"
"Visually one immediately expects something very sweet, but there's a nice flavor contrast that is both surprising and delightful.  The use of ginger complemented the wasabi flavors, while the chocolate soy-sauce mixture added something unique and creative."

Have I convinced you to try it yet?  Good, get in the kitchen ;)



Wasabi Ice Cream
Recipe by Shannon

1 can lite coconut milk
1T arrowroot
1/4c evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
1T freshly grated daruma wasabi (more or less to taste, I used a heaping 1T)

Reserve a few tablespoons of coconut milk and pour the rest into a medium saucepan.  Add sugar to the saucepan and heat over medium heat just until the mixture comes to a boil.  Add arrowroot to reserved coconut milk and whisk until smooth.  Remove from heat, stir in reserved coconut milk/arrowroot and wasabi.  Cool mixture completely, then churn according to manufacturer's directions.

Crystallized Ginger Brownies

Add 1/2c (for an 8"pan) to 1c (for a 9x13"pan) chopped crystallized ginger to your favorite recipe for fudgy brownies.  I don't have a favorite recipe, but I used this one as I was out of cocoa powder.  It might be my go-to from now on, especially when I'm out of cocoa powder (thanks for the heads up Janetha)!


Chocolate Soy Sauce
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Yield ~1c

No, you don't taste the soy sauce, but it gives it adds another layer of flavor and makes you go "hmmm"!

2oz unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
1 1/2T butter (or Earth Balance)
1/3c water
3T evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
3T light corn syrup
1 1/2T soy sauce

Follow Deb's instructions, stirring in the soy sauce after the chocolate sauce is removed from the heat (like the rum would be in her recipe).


Black Sesame Brittle
slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1c evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
1/4c + 2T water
2oz (1/2 stick) butter
2T light corn syrup
1/4t baking soda
1t coarse sea salt
3/4c black sesame seeds

Follow Deb's instructions for the brittle.  Yes, Deb is awesome.  I haven't made any sort of sugar confection yet, and this seemed pretty fool-proof :)



Complex, but a well composed plate (if I do say so myself) and absolutely delicious.  It could be on a restaurant menu, no?  :)   I think I have been watching too much Top Chef!

13 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

You've convinced me! :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

i seriously need to get an icecream maker lol

Delicious Dishings said...

I love that you got so much great feedback on this and shared it with us!

Joanne said...

You know, I bet you could see this ice cream flavor to JP Licks for a pretty penny! (And then convince them to serve it to me on marathon day after the race! Wahoo!). Sounds fantastic. I never doubted it though.

vanillasugarblog said...

wait, i read this all and have a dumbass question. you made this? right?
wow.
you should really market this to an ice cream maker. i mean really shan

The Purple Carrot said...

Yep, I'm still impressed!

(I love Top Chef!)

Anonymous said...

so impressive! wow!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I didn't need to read your feedback to know that this would be a great dessert but the feedback only makes me want to try this more!

Erica said...

Sounds like such a winner! I love when the flavors in a dish offset each other justttt right. Hope you have a great Friday

JR/Mike said...

That looks amazing! I'd love to give that a try. I'm all for trying new things. Plus I'm a big fan of brownies and ice cream! The wasabi ice cream sounds interesting but good.

Unknown said...

They both sound so good! Serve the truffles with the sundae, what a great treat!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! This is a very unique makeover of a sundae! Loving the Asian twist here, with all the elements, it really sounds incredible!

Kerstin said...

So restaurant/Top Chef/Iron Chef/Chopped worthy :) So creative!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips