Thursday, March 10, 2011

Meyer Time

So after sharing my lemon bars with a few friends, I was told that I should go ahead and share the recipe ;)  They are good, just not quite like a traditional 'lemon bar', so we're going to go ahead and call them Meyer Lemon Applesauce Bars...  k?   These were made with my last meyer lemon (for now), and I'm missing them already!


Meyer Lemon Applesauce Bars (Vegan)
adapted from Another One Bites the Crust

For the crust:
1/4c sugar
1/4c toasted hazelnuts, chopped fine or ground
3/4c white whole wheat flour
1T cornstarch
3T applesauce
2-3T Earth Balance, melted (or butter)

For the filling:
3/4c applesauce
zest of 1 meyer lemon
1/2c meyer lemon juice
1/2c agave nectar
2t vanilla extract
1/2t baking powder
1/8t salt
3T flour (use white if you're concerned with color)

I followed Nicole's directions exactly, so head over to her site to check them out!  Oh, and definitely store leftovers in the fridge!

For a more authentic version, maybe these would do the trick?


Are you a fan of lemon bars?  I wasn't actually as a kid, but meyer lemons have me running to the store :)  More importantly, have you tried meyer lemons yet???

17 comments:

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living said...

I've never been a huge fan of lemon bars, but your meyer lemon applesauce bars look great! I like the idea of nuts in the crust and an applesauce filling. I have yet to cook or bake with meyer lemons, and kick myself every time I read about a recipe like this one. I need to pick some up!

Kristen said...

Meyer lemons are all the rage right now! I need to jump on that bandwagon because I love the idea of them, haven't tried them yet. these bars sound so good!

Delicious Dishings said...

That hazelnut crust sounds very good. I keep seeing Meyer lemons, and I really need to get some!

Joanne said...

Mmm I love the sound of that crust and I love that these are healthier than the traditional bars! You definitely made some good use of those meyers!

Erica said...

ow ow ow! They look so good. I <3 lemon desserts. And I like that they have applesauce in them too. Great job

Anonymous said...

I haven't had lemon bars in forever, and I simply must try these!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

How wonderful! I love lemon bars!

vanillasugarblog said...

you tell me i am so creative, so are you! i mean just the crust alone is good enough for me. lol! i should try and cook more healthy, well i do cook healthy i just bake unhealthy.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I love lemon bars and I like how this recipe is actually pretty healthy!

Anonymous said...

These bars sound amazing! I love the hazelnuts in the crust and the combo of applesauce and meyer lemon flavors, so good!

Jess said...

Those look fantastic! I love lemon bars and haven't had them in years.

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

ahhhh i looooove lemon bars!

Unknown said...

I think I need to start calling you Ms. Meyer.
Looks fabulous!
;)
LC

Reeni said...

I love lemon bars! These look luscious - the crust rocks!

We Are Not Martha said...

Yum! I'm loving all your meyer lemon recipes :) I love that these are made with applesauce. So pretty, too!!

Sues

Val said...

You had me at Meyer. Such a great recipe.

Kerstin said...

I've never made lemon bars - what's usually in the filling? These look delightful. I'm definitely going to play with some Meyer lemons next year - I didn't know what I was missing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips