Friday, March 25, 2011

Wasabi Truffles

**Edited to add:  This is my official entry into Stage 4 of the Marx Foods Ridiculously Delicious Challenge.  While I fell in love with both of the desserts I created, the fresh wasabi really shined in these truffles!!**

As part of the Marx Foods Ridiculously Delicious Challenge, I created these white chocolate wasabi truffles.  In contrast to the complexity of the Asian Sundae, these truffles are much simpler and allow the wasabi to take center stage.

One taster commented that she could see these in a bowl on her coffee table (or maybe she just wanted to take the rest home!).  Another had this to say...
"The chocolate smoothes out the wasabi, and the crystallized ginger in the middle makes it almost a 2-part flavor wave...depending on how much filling to outer layer you get in your bite you'll either get wasabi finished with the cooling flavor of ginger, or the sweet of ginger with a little wasabi punch at the finish.  Good stuff."



White Chocolate Wasabi Truffles
Recipe by Shannon
Yield:  ~24small truffles

Having burned white chocolate before, I adopted Nicole's technique for melting the chocolate, and found it to work well.  White chocolate is a bit trickier to work with (at least in an apartment as warm as mine), but I washed my hands every once in awhile and didn't worry too much.  There's a second chill after forming and rolling the truffles, and all was good by then.

2T heavy cream
4oz good quality white chocolate (I used Callebut, which I got a chunk of at my WF)
2t freshly grated daruma wasabi
crystallized ginger
powdered sugar (2-4T)
matcha powder, optional

Chop white chocolate and add to a small (microwavable) bowl.  Heat cream (stove or microwave, your choice) until it begins to come to a boil.  Pour over white chocolate and stir with a fork or small whisk until the chocolate has melted and become smooth.  If you need, microwave 5-10sec at a time, stir and repeat until mixture is completely smooth.  Add wasabi and mix until well combined.  Cover and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.

Chop crystallized ginger to a dice, or chunks just under 1cm large.  Add some powdered sugar and a little bit of matcha (if using) to a plate or small bowl.  Using a spoon or your hands, shape a small amount of chocolate into a ball around a chunk of crystallized ginger (maybe start with a dime-size amount?).  Drop into powdered sugar and repeat.  After you've made a few truffles, toss them around in the powdered sugar to coat.  Remove any excess and transfer them to a container or parchment paper.  Repeat until you've used all of your chocolate mixture, then chill until firm.




So, awesome readers, which is more ridiculously delicious-- my Asian Sundae or White Chocolate Wasabi truffles??

25 comments:

Victoria said...

White chocolate wasabi truffles. No question. Of course, I'm a cocoa butter addict.

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living said...

Both recipes are fantastic, Shannon. Truly inventive and - I'm sure - absolutely delicious! The brownies sundaes have more components, and must have taken more time to prepare, so maybe submit that recipe?

Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete said...

Oh my gooses...the truffles look SO amazing! Both recipes are so original, but I'm with Lauren!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

These both look fantastic but I'd have to lean towards the Asian sundae because I'm absolutely intrigued by the wasabi ice cream!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

Can't you submit both? I ate them all together - it was one perfect plate of dessert!
I loved the creaminess of the truffle with a spicy center. Thanks for making me a little plate :)

Elizabeth said...

White chocolate and ginger is such a great combination.

Biz said...

I would definitely go with the wasabi truffles - I've never seen anything else like it - love the sweet/heat balance too! :D

Have a great weekend Shannon!

Unknown said...

i have an obsession with wasabi, this might be dangerous....in a good way!

Michelle Collins said...

I love the flavor of wasabi - these are so innovative! Have you ever tried the wasabi mayonnaise from Trader Joe's? Insanely good.

Michelle Collins said...

I love the flavor of wasabi - these are so innovative! Have you ever tried the wasabi mayonnaise from Trader Joe's? Insanely good.

Joanne said...

Oh I am SO enamored with these Shannon! I'm more of a white chocolate than a chocolate chocolate girl so these really speak to me!

Anonymous said...

you are so talented! You are continually blowing me away with all these wasabi recipes :)

vanillasugarblog said...

ok now we're talking woman.
love love love these!

Reeni said...

What creative truffles! I wish I could try one! I can't decide between the two - the brownie does seem more complex but really they both rock!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Wow these look amazing! I love white chocolate.

Erica said...

Again- you are SO creative- I just love it!! The ginger in the middle sounds perfect.

Esi said...

Omg, this sounds and looks amazing. You could sell these in a store. The sundae sounds good too.

Jess said...

I like wasabi and these sound amazing.

Anonymous said...

Very unique truffles with wasabi and ginger, loving all the sweet treats you've been creating!

Kerstin said...

The wabasi really came through perfectly in these! I loved the bite at the end and the crystalized ginger in the center elevated them even more - excellent!!

We Are Not Martha said...

Ooh I'm LOVING these!! Both recipes sound amazing, but I just love the idea of wasabi in a truffle. And they're so pretty, too!

Sues

Katie (The Aspiring RD) said...

From personal experience these are AMAZING! I am hiding the last one from Mike (shhhh...)

momgateway said...

Wasabi white chocolate with a ginger center as truffles...I.m hooked Shannon

Deb said...

I've been wanting to try these, but can't find the fresh wasabi...can you substitute anything?

Unknown said...

Hi Deb- fresh wasabi in the US is pretty rare, but you can order it from Marx Foods or chefshop. I haven't experimented with things like dried powder or horseradish, so I can't say whether those would work or not. Fresh wasabi was a delight to play with, i'd opt to splurge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips