Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sw Potato Burrito

Sweet potatoes rank pretty high on my list of foods I wouldn't want to live without.  So when I heard about the Bloggers Recipe Contest hosted by the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission, I knew I wanted to try and come up with a recipe or two to submit.

Image Source

Must have been fate, as Janetha blogged about an amazing breakfast burrito she had in Chicago.  Sweet potatoes and black beans are not an uncommon pairing for me, but throwing avocado in the mix?  I had to try it!  And wow.  I'm in love.  The flavors melded harmoniously, and this will definitely become a regular on the rotation given how easy it is to throw together :)

ok, so maybe I stuffed a little too much in
PS- You don't have to take it just from me!  My friend Alyssa was able to join me for a burrito, and she raved about it as well, "I absolutely loved the combination of the sweet potatoes, eggs, guacamole, beans and spices. To die for!"



Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
Serves 3-4

2 lg sweet potatoes
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
cumin, to taste (I used ~1/2t)
3 eggs + 3 egg whites
splash  of milk (dairy or non-dairy, cream or even yogurt would work)
guacamole (1 avocado's worth, or 1/3 of the recipe)
whole wheat tortillas (8-10")
salsa (I used TJ's tomatillo & roasted yellow chili salsa, but you could make your own)
goat cheese (queso fresco would also be good)

Preheat oven to 350deg.  Wash sweet potatoes, poke them with a fork a few times, and wrap them in foil.  Place on a cookie sheet and roast for ~1hr, until they're soft and easily pricked with a fork.  Set aside and let cool, then cut into a rough dice.  Transfer to a bowl and mash with a little salt and freshly ground pepper.

**Roasting the sweet potatoes can be done ahead of time, simply refrigerate until use and bring the potatoes to room temp (or warm) before assembling the burritos.

Place black beans into a bowl, season with cumin, a tad bit of salt (or a little more if you're using no salt added beans) and some freshly ground black pepper.  Roughly mash with a fork, or puree in a food processor if you'd like.

Preheat a large skillet over medium low heat.  Add eggs and whites in a small bowl, a splash of milk and a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper.  Once the pan is warmed, cook eggs slowly, stirring quite often, until they have just started to set (unless you like them dry, in which case keep going until they are to your liking).  Turn off the heat.

To assemble burritos, place tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 15-30sec if you need to get them a little more pliable.  On each burrito, place ~3-4T black bean mash, ~1/3c roasted sweet potatoes, 1/4 of the eggs and 2-3T guacamole.  Wrap up (if you can!), then top with salsa and goat cheese.  I served mine with fruit salad!


It's not too late to enter the contest, entries are accepted until March 21st!

18 comments:

The Purple Carrot said...

Yum!! I've been thinking about making sweet potato enchiladas sometime soon, but perhaps I should be thinking about sweet potato burritos! ;)

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living said...

YES. These burritos have my name aaallll over them :). I'm going away for the weekend, but you can bet I'm making them as soon as I'm back in my kitchen. Awesome recipe Shannon! Also - thanks for letting us know about the contest. I just submitted my sweet potatoes with avocado and goat cheese cream.

Delicious Dishings said...

That looks awesome. I too love sweet potatoes... and avocados!

Rebecca said...

Oh man, now I am especially sorry I missed the chance to try these! They look awesome. Maybe I'll have to recreate them myself sometime soon...

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I would love to feast on this burrito for breakfast! Good luck with the contest!

Joanne said...

When I was in college I basically ate sweet potatoes on sandwiches mixed with any spread I could get my hands on...refried beans, guac, hummus. Whatever. And the magical thing about sweet potatoes is that they taste good with everything. Who knew? These burritos sound and look fantastic!

Elizabeth said...

It's amazing, sweet potatoes go well with so many things. Definitely avocado. Crema Cafe in Harvard Sq makes an awesome sweet potato and avocado sandwich.

Candace said...

Ok, you "wooed" me and "wowed" me with your Pumpkin Black Bean Enchiladas and now you've done it again with this burrito. I just made blogged my Breakfast Quesadillas and I'm going to have to recreate them with this filling. I can taste them already. Yum!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

wow - your photos are gorgeous!!!

MichellePC said...

This looks great! I've been falling in love with using sweet potato in Mexican-type dishes, so I know I would be all over this. Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

I love those flavors. I made sweet potato tacos the other day. So good with pinto beans too! Great recipe Shannon!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

Eggs, huh? So really - you can even have it for breakfast ;)
Sounds like a fantastic combination of flavors!
How did you do on the salmon one? Just had your last mashed potato waffle with lunch :D

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

Man. I have been thinking about this burrito all day. I love your re-creation!!!

Kerstin said...

Oh yum, did she go to Bongo Room by chance? It's my favorite Chi-town brunch spot and I sort of remember something like this on the menu. Wish I had this for breakfast today instead of my boring eggs and toast!

Cara said...

True story: There's a recipe in the Moosewood Collection Low-Fat favorites for sweet potato and black bean burritos. The first time I made them, I remember telling my then-fiance we were having burritos for dinner. He asked, "What kind of meat?" None. "what kind of cheese?" nada. It turned out to be one of his favorite meals ever, and more importantly, completely squelched any bad connotations he had about meatless-meals.

Another true story: In Amherst, one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast was the Kamil Shell burrito at a local diner. It had scrambled eggs, sweet potatoes, onions, peppers, black beans, and cheese - amazing!

Reeni said...

This looks absolutely delicious - I love the flavor combos too!

Alyssa said...

Delicious! Who knew burritos could be so beautiful?

Mary Ellen said...

Um, can you come over and make this for me? Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips