Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Beef & Butternut Stew

A nice hearty bowl of Beef & Butternut Stew would be wonderful on a chilly winter day! Luckily we're not there quite yet, so it's good that I have some in the freezer waiting for me :) This recipe comes from Giada De Laurentis, and you can also find step-by-step pictures here. The only thing I did slightly differently is to cut the beef and squash in smaller bites than called for in the recipe and cut down a little bit on the oil. Here they are... one for now and some for later!!


(I made half the recipe, and decided to split it into thirds so I could add half a sandwich or muffin or whatever the heck I felt like...  if you're wondering about serving size)  This was delish, and due to simmering for longer than Giada called for (I forgot to check the clock or set the timer) the meat was especially tender!  While I was making this, I was thinking "hmm, I'm just not a huge fan of beef stew."  Luckily I really enjoyed it and would definately make this again :)  I didn't so much pick out the sundried tomato flavor, but I just eye-balled those and might've been a little shy.  It also couldn't be hurt by adding more squash, but that's probably true for alot of things!!  Melissa  and I must've been on the same wavelength sunday, as we both made this--check out her raves here.

12 comments:

Rose said...

Aren't you SO happy it's soup season? I know I am! This looks like a nice combination.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for hearty soups!! Glad you enjoyed it!! :-)

Meg said...

Looks like a great soup. Since I am not much of a meat fan, I would probably just make it without.

Erica said...

<3 giada. This isn't a combo I would have put together but I love soup and both of the major ingredients.....hmmm ;)

Adam said...

Perfect idea for a soup and sandwich. I bet it'll give you some much needed lab power for the afternoon. Don't your fellow workers get jealous of your great lunches :)

Darius T. Williams said...

Yup - this looks great. I should make a stew. It's super simple and you just kinda put the stuff in a pot and walk away. Hmmm - maybe I would. I love the fact that you made so much and packaged in cute little containers...this type of soup would definitely be great the next day.

-DTW
www.everydaycoookin.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! I love beef stew, but never though to add squash! I'll have to investigate this...

Melissa and Eric said...

Thanks for the link (that was a really funny coincidence) and I am glad that you enjoyed it as much as I did!
I hope that you are loving your new home!

Anonymous said...

Mmm...beefy!

HangryPants said...

I love stew! I mean really, what is better?

Elina said...

Wow, that looks good. I'm saving the recipe for future use! :D

test it comm said...

I have that recipe bookmarked as well. It sounds like a great way to enjoy squash.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips