Saturday, November 8, 2008

Eggplant Gnocchi

Whew! With being out of town last weekend and copious amounts of free food at work, I was so excited to spend the better part of this afternoon in my kitchen!! This weeks BSI, chosen by Meghann, was eggplant! I've already featured an eggplant recipe on here, and wanted to come up with something a bit different. Perusing through Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, it hit me--eggplant gnocchi! Instead of pairing eggplant with pasta, make it into the pasta!


I'm a novice when it comes to dough making, so I followed the instructions pretty closely... all i can say is I tried my best and made a mess of my kitchen counter :) Since it came from the book, i'm not going to infringe on any copyright... let's just say it did contain equal amounts of potato and eggplant! Here's some of the steps I managed to take in between hand washings :)

mashing, mixing...

hmm, can you call what i did "rolling"??

Could've sworn I had pasta sauce, but when I went to find it, I could not :( Oh well, guess I'll have to get on that! These actually came out pretty good, you could taste both the eggplant and potato, and I don't think they were too heavy at all. ~phew~ Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. i love gnocchi, haven't had it in ages, and i would definitely definitely choose this to break my fast with!!! YUM!!

Erica said...

WoW! Meghann is going to have the hardest time selecting a winner!

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of that combo! What a great way to use eggplant. I haven't had huge success with gnocchi, but these might be worth another try :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Welcome back!

Your BSI submissions always reign supreme!! :-D

Krista said...

Great job with the BSI! I've got a pasta type dish planned for tomorrow, too! :)

Meg said...

What a fabulous idea, and it turned out great! I am very impressed!

Anonymous said...

That sounds great Shannon! Don't you love Mark Bittman?

Fitnessista said...

that looks DELICIOUS!!
i'm not usually a fan of gnocchi (i HATE potato), but if it's stuffed with eggplant instead i'm sure i would love it :D
meghann's got her work cut out for her...

Anonymous said...

Wow these look great!!!! Way to be creative! :)

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Never made gnocchi before, I usually find them too "heavy", but mixed with eggplant sounds nice. Or perhaps using like a sweet potato or pumpkin puree....Peanut butter gnocchi?

Esi said...

Nice gnocchi I am starting to come around on eggplant.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love this idea. I will have to try it.

Aggie said...

Wow, I'm totally impressed! This is great!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I made gnocchi before, but wasn't sure exactly how to do it after reading the directions.

I ended up searching for a video on youtube, and found an Italian grandson who was taping his grandmother on how she prepared hers. I am so much better following something I see than when I read.

They turned out really good! Of course, I was no where near as fast as the grandma!

Elina said...

Wow what a great way to use eggplant! Super creative!!!

I think I'm making eggplant for dinner tonight, although it won't be anything as amazing as this dish...

test it comm said...

I never would have thought of eggplant gnocchi but it sounds good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips