Thursday, November 13, 2008

Goat Cheese Panna Cotta

I think panna cotta is quickly becoming one of my favorite desserts. So easy, elegant, and you do it ahead of time, so it's especially good for entertaining! (hmmm, maybe i should try entertaining someone besides myself!) I cut the recipe in half and mixed about some of the ingredients to take advantage of what I had in my fridge. With another success in the books/blog, I shall have to try experimenting a bit more with it!!


Goat Cheese Panna Cotta
adapted from Enlightened Cooking
Serves 4

1 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
2T water
1/2c and 2T skim milk
1T vanilla caramel coffee mate (I added this to get some fat, as my dairy products were fat-free and wasn't sure how it would turn out)
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1/4 cup powdered sugar
3 ounces goat cheese
1/2c plus 2T Trader Joe's European Nonfat Yogurt
optional, for garnish: fresh berries, arils, and jam


Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Bring milk, coffee mate, vanilla bean, and powdered sugar to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove pan from heat; remove vanilla bean and, with tip of knife, scrape seeds into milk mixture (discarding the bean, or use it to make vanilla sugar if you so desire!).

Whisk in gelatin mixture and goat cheese until smooth. Whisk in yogurt until well combined. Divide mixture evenly among 4 (6-ounce) ramekins. Cover and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.

Loosen edges with a knife. Place a plate, upside down, on top of each cup; invert onto plates. I topped mine off with some warmed up fruit spread and fresh berries and arils just to make it look pretty :)

18 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

So elegant!

GroundedFitness said...

wow- so fancy! I'd pay money for that!

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

healthy ashley said...

I can't do the gelatin, but this looks amazing! Look at those presentation skills :)

Esi said...

Very pretty!

Trying To Heal said...

omg i drool!

Elina said...

Wow wow wow, another awesome recipe!!!
I like the comment about trying to entertain someone besides yourself. You're funny :)

Meg said...

I have never had panna cotta! I love all the vanilla flavor in this!

alexandra's kitchen said...

you're a genius. i've been wanting to make a goat cheese panna cotta for months now. also goat cheese gelato, goat cheese cheesecake, etc. etc. It sounds so exotic and delicious!

Anonymous said...

OMG delicious!! Could you sub other cheeses in for the goat cheese, or use more yogurt or something (and if so, which kinds)?

Anonymous said...

WOW! That looks so good!
By the way, I added you to our blog roll without asking, which I guess is rude. Oops! Too bad! :)

Anonymous said...

That's so pretty! I saw a recipe like that in Self magazine once, but I've never made panna cotta.

Erica said...

This is beautiful! You make the most interesting creations!

sunita said...

I love panna cottas and yours looks so tempting!

Anonymous said...

I adore yogurt panna cotta, but I've never tried adding goat cheese. That's a great idea!

I agree about panna cotta needing some fat. I eat nonfat yogurt for the most part, but I like to use low fat or whole milk yogurt for panna cotta...it really adds that extra creaminess.

test it comm said...

I have not tried a panna cotta yet. I like goat cheese so this panna cotta sounds really good!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! The panna cotta looks very elegant. I'm always kind of wary of flan and gelatin-ish desserts. I think it's the bounce. :-P

Anonymous said...

OMG! Aren't we fancy?1?!?! That looks great!!1 :)

Anonymous said...

love love love panna cotta. this looks amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips