Monday, October 13, 2008

BSI: Lentils

Hi everyone!! So exciting to choose this week's BSI ingredient... but then what to pick?!? I had so many ideas (most revolving around the ingredients in my fridge--I was a little overzealous at the farmers market and store), but decided to take a little different path.

I don't remember eating lentils as a kid. This was no fault of my parents (i think i recall dad liking lentil soup), more of my picky eating-- I highly doubt I would've considered the notion of consuming lentils :) I've tried them all of 3 times the past year or two, so I thought this would be a fantastic way to learn some fun new ways to prepare them!! So BRING IT!!! Link back to this post, or leave me a comment so I can pull all of your fantastical recipes together. And I'll come up with some sort of *prize* for my fav ;-)

Lentils seem pretty big around the blog world, but in case you aren't in the know (don't worry, I wasn't!), they are especially good sources of soluble and insoluble fiber, folate and magnesium (both good for your heart), iron, and protein! (I did discover that red lentils have less protein than other types... hmmm)


Just another quick note... please bear with me as I begin my new job this week!! I'll be adjusting to a new schedule and will have lots to do to in order to get started... I'll probably do some reading from trusty Google Reader, but I don't know how much time for comments there will be. I'll still be posting, as I mentioned above I got a bit excited shopping last week...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ingredient! I actaully have some lentils in my cabinet right now. I am officially putting the thinking cap on and am going to come up with a creative delicious recipe for this weeks challenge! Thank you for picking something I already had on hand!

Trying To Heal said...

great bsi pick! i have a bag of lentils i've been wanting to use so this is a great opportunity!

and i didn't have them for the first time till i was a junior in college...i've so missed out!

Meg said...

What a wonderful choice! Yeah!

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

woohoooooo!!!! so excited! i am using lentils tonight woohooo!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

FABULOUS INGREDIENT PICK!!! Lentils are my all-time favorite legume :0)

GroundedFitness said...

ooo i love lentils- hot, cold, plain, main ingredient, non main ingredient.

im excited to see what you come up with!

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

Andrea of Care to Eat said...

Great choice! I was just thinking yesterday that I haven't made lentils in a while - I'm already getting an idea...
Hopefully I won't be lazy like I have the past couple of weeks and actually make something!

Maggie M. said...

Awesome! I don't think I've cooked with lentils before, but I love them. Great pick!

Unknown said...

whoo hoo! i just made something with lentils tonight :D
too bad it wasn't my own recipe... at least i have some on hand to experiment with!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME choice! I love 'em to death! What does your job entail?

Adam said...

Cool pick with the lentils. I've never done the BSI before, I'll have to check it out.

Good luck with the new schedule. Do you have a computer at work, that'll help :)

miss v said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
miss v said...

lentils are super yummy. i don't have any in my pantry right now, but i did make a sloppy lentil burrito a while back that was super yummy (or so i thought).

Anonymous said...

Haha darn you! You're going to make me do research for this one :)

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

just posted my recipe!! do you need me to email it to you too>?

miss v said...

i just made a lentil dish for the chanllenge. i love lentils, so i couldn't resist buying some to create with. check it out.
lentil paella-jambalaya

Maggie M. said...

Hey, here's my recipe: http://www.thesaladgirl.com/?p=730

Lentils are awesome! I'd never cooked with them before :)

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils said...

Very excited since lentils are my favorites!! Too bad I missed the challenge, but I will have to check out all the recipes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips