Sunday, October 5, 2008

Build me up, Butternut...

It's days like today that i wonder how on earth I've never broken a bone. *knock knock knock* Adding to the battle wounds incurred while moving, last night I dropped a porcelain casserole dish on my big toe. I wasn't wearing any shoes... this morning I realized there's a nice bruise. A bit later I decided to go for a run around the park to see some of my new surroundings. About a mile in, I fell and did a number on my knee. I'll spare the bloody details, but that cut my run short. ~sigh~ Now I'm nursing a swollen and stiff wound as I try and catch up on all the blogs I missed!!

But first, I wanted to get to BSI: Butternut Squash. I wanted to do something besides the risotto and ravioli that first came to mind... but i think my creativity was preoccupied with my knee. I managed one idea while cooking, so maybe that'll make an appearance later in the week-- it was one big squash i cooked up!

So first we have a twist on a butternut squash puree that i found interesting due to its use of medjool dates to sweeten the deal. Found on npr's website here, it was contributed by Susan of Food Blogga.


For my next trick, I tried some butternut snack bites that I had seen over at Mostly Eating. I don't know exactly what was off, but my batter was really dry as written so I ended up adding at least another 1/2c of squash and 1/2c applesauce until moistened. I think it was either my use of whole wheat pastry flour instead of whole wheat flour, and/or a less-moist squash (maybe I should've actually pureed it?). Very tasty though, and I can see them being a good, nutritious snack! Too much batter eating though, I'll have to put them straight into the freezer...


Ok, well hopefully everyone else had a better sunday! I capped mine off by nicking myself with my knife while washing dishes... sheesh! Guess someone over here needs a GOOD night's sleep!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two recipes?! Score! Both of them look super yummy. I think the puree with the dates sounds very interesting. And I'm sorry the bites didn't turn out quite the way you wanted them to at first, but they look delicious :o) Presentation is half the battle, in my opinion!

I'm adding it to the list - thanks for participating this week, yay!

And OUCH! I hope that the knife cut wasn't too bad...

Have a good week!

Trying To Heal said...

wow! everything looks soooo good!

and i'm glad your toe and knee are ok! since the day i was born to the age of 16 i have broken a bone every two and a half years....keeping my fingers crossed i won't have anymore soon! it's been a few more than two and a half years!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Eeeeek, be careful!!

HOLY YUM TO BOTH BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPE!!! Wowza.

Meg said...

Both recipes look delicious! Hope you got a good night's sleep and that you didn't hurt yourself with the knife too badly!

Anonymous said...

yum those little bits looks great!

HeatherBakes said...

Oh no- that casserole accident sounds PAINFUL! Hope today is better!!

The recipes look amazing (as usual), especially the snack bites... I've never used BN squash in baking.

Anonymous said...

Poor you having those too near-injurous moments, ouch! I'm glad all you came away with was a bruise. I've broken my big toe and it is not fun.

The food looks so delicious. I haven't eaten lunch yet so my mouth is watering.

Sharon said...

I'd love to try those snack bites though usually anything with the name "bites" turns in to an all out feast for me :)

sunita said...

Of dear! So, you've been having one of those days :-(...take care, hope the knife cut wasn't too bad.

...love both the recipes

Anonymous said...

Those look so yummy!
Thanks for the info on orthotics. I hope your knee gets better. Are you doing RICE? (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate)

Adam said...

Well at least your toe didn't hurt bad enough to stop you running... and your knee bad enough to stop you from standing and baking :)

I like how you're mixing in all the Fall produce lately. Very Falltastic :)

Oh and kasha is pretty much what I do with my buckwheat. I just throw it in a rice cooker and season it however. I like it alot more than rice. I'm surprised yours didn't turn out well. Was it too dry or wet?

GroundedFitness said...

man its butternut mania!

I baked one once. thats about the extent of my butternut experience. Im more of an acorn gal.

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

Anonymous said...

Oh poo! I'm so sorry you hurt your knee! :(
The bites look great. Maybe if you dip them in peanut butter they'll be more moist.
I like to dip everything in PB, though! :)

Bridget said...

Yum yum Butternut Squash! I wish I could of had time to come up with something for the BSI...maybe next time :)
Those little bites look delectable!

Anonymous said...

Well done - sorry the bites recipe was a bit problematic! I suspect the water content of the squash puree will vary quite a bit depending on how ripe the squash was and how long you roast it for. Glad they turned out OK in the end!

test it comm said...

These butternut bites sound really good! What a great idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips