Friday, October 17, 2008

This little figgy...

Somehow I happened upon a box of figs for 2.99! While I usually eat them straight up, I saved a few this time to try... a Fig and Wheat Berry Salad, a recipe I spied with my little eyes over at npr. I used spinach instead of arugula, white balsamic instead of raspberry vinegar, and goat cheese instead of feta, as that's what I had in my kitchen-- it was delicious!! Love the chewiness of whole grains, and these wheat berries certainly add a great texture to the salad.


Gotten some great looking ideas for lentils, keep 'em coming!!

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Score on the fresh figs!! Great salad you incorporated them into, for sure.

Anonymous said...

YUM! I'm not fussy on fresh figs on their own, but I think with the berries (I'd use spelt) they'd be terrific.

Meg said...

Lovely salad!

Erica said...

mmmm looks fresh and delicious! I still haven't tried figs! Hope you have a lovely weekend!

test it comm said...

That salad looks and sounds good!

Esi said...

Hooray for figs!

Anonymous said...

Yum! How do you pick a good fig?

Erica said...

PS I finally added you to my list of favorite blogs! Sorry I am so slow!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous! i LOVE fresh figs, and this sounds absolutely divine.

HangryPants said...

Ooh great recipe!

Whitney said...

I totally just stumbled on your blog...I'm super duper confused when it comes to figs...do you just eat them or is there some sort of skin/shell you have to peel off??

Unknown said...

Hey whitney, I wondered the same thing when I tried them last year! There are different types, but these were black mission figs. You can see the dark outer skin in the picture, it's edible so no need to peel! I trip the very tip, as a bit of the stem is usually still attached, but after washing they're usually popped right in my mouth :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips