Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pumpkin Surprise Cupcakes

This week's BSI chosen by Gina was cranberries! I thought about making the Cranberry Chicken my mom makes, but that didn't happen, so I had to put my thinking cap on. I wanted a departure from muffins, so I decided on cupcakes--Pumpkin Cupcakes w/Cranberry Cheesecake Filling!!

The pumpkin muffins came from have cake, will travel, I halved the recipe to make 6.

For the filling... I mixed homemade cranberry sauce (see below) with smart balance light cream cheese in a 2:1 ratio. I had no idea how much to make, and how much would fit in my cupcakes, so I had extra of both mixtures. It's ok though, because they were both so yummy I can't wait to use it to top off yogurt or stir in oatmeal or top waffles or put on a turkey sandwich or... ok i'll get to the recipe :)

Cranberry Sauce
Yield: 1c

6oz (1/2 bag) fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2c maple sugar (I found this at a farmers market, and we already know i'm a sucker so I couldn't help trying it out! You could sub equal amts regular sugar, or cut back a little and throw in some maple syrup)
1T dried cherries, chopped
1T crystallized ginger, chopped
1oz orange juice (you could just use some zest instead if you have it)
3oz water
some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom in my just sprinkle some in there fashion

Combine in a medium pot and cook until berries have burst and alot of the liquid has been absorbed. Maybe ~10min?


Back to the cupcakes... I prepared the cupcake mix, and when the cranberry sauce was done added some to cream cheese (1/4c sauce +2T cream cheese would probably be fine for 6 cupcakes if you didn't want any extra). Into the cupcake liners (sprayed with nonstick) went some of the batter, followed by a little spoonfull of the cranberry cheesecake mix, topped off with more batter. Bake in a preheated oven at 350deg for 18-20 min, or until top springs back when lightly touched. Let cool on a wire rack for as long as you can take it before digging in.


How'd they turn out?? Turns out I could've added more filling, but my taste buds are jumping up and down right now!!! I was full from dinner but couldn't help but eat the one that was sacrificed for the photo... Mmmmm :) Thanks for the challenge Fitnessista!!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heavens to Mergatroid! Those look fantastic!
Another baking success f/ the doc...

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhh total yumminess - cranberry cheesecake? very creative!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!

p.s. check my blog post!

Fitnessista said...

whoooaaa!
these look wonderful!
you're in :D
i'm so glad you had time to make something!

HangryPants said...

These sound amazing! I love how the frosting is pink.

The word verification for leaving a comment is "hoping." Isn't that sweet?

Meg said...

Wow! What an amazing combo of flavors! I love it!

Bridget said...

yuummmmmmm!! That combination sounds divine! I'm sure those will be tough to beat in the BSI contest! btw the place I'm going out for my bday is Gypsy Bar (I think its on Boylston)...if your in the mood for a fun more dressy dancing type of night out this is a fun place :)

Esi said...

I'm loving pumpkin...and cheesecake right now. So cute!

Anonymous said...

Wow, great combination of flavours! MMMMMMMmmm

Maggie M. said...

Things with filling are YUMMY. These look so good and cute!

Anonymous said...

Umm...why hello there, yummiest cupcakes on Earth. My name is Jenn, and I would very much like to eat you. Thanks :o) Great job, Shannon!!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

love its pinky color!!! And I bet it tastes even better!!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Mmm, mmm, mmm!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

those sound dreamy!!

Anonymous said...

These look amazing! I can't wait to try them!

Congrats on 3rd place for this weeks BSI contest!

Maria said...

What a nice surprise on the inside!

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious! Maybe you could do a cranberry frosting as well. Mmmm.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting idea for a muffin - love it!

Unknown said...

Heather-i've been noticing more words lately with the verification, makes me smile!

Jenn- you're too funny, I definately laughed out loud at work, then quick-check to make sure no one was looking :) You're not in the boston area, are you? I could use some help eating them!

Jess- Yup, I ran out of gusto and left them unfrosted! If they weren't just for me, I probably would've :)

Darius T. Williams said...

Oh wow...I bet these were just delicious!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great idea, and check out those vibrant colors!

Anonymous said...

love it!!

HeatherBakes said...

Wow! The pumpkin cupcake alone sounds amazing, but that cheesecake filling just puts it over the top... you are so creative :)

Astra Libris said...

Ooooohhhh, these sound incredible!! Mmmmm... The cranberry cheesecake filling sounds out of this world amazing!!

Elina said...

Hi I just stumbled upon your blog on from your comment on Meghann's blog (I live in Boston too!) and I love it! You're quite the cook :) I'm adding you to my blogroll...

Erica said...

Hey- Are you having blogger issues tonight? I can't get anything to post and my pics/links are all fugged up?

test it comm said...

Pumpkin cupcakes with cranberry cheesecake filling sound so good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips