Thursday, October 9, 2008

You put polenta in what??

Jeez louise. another oopsie (don't ask...), a cold, and a not quite fabulous attempt at baking... today was a real winner :-P I've had this recipe in my "to-try" pile for quite some time (the page said June 2005), but when Sabrina chose polenta for this week's BSI, I knew just what I was going to make! I haven't cooked much with polenta (tried it for the first time last year), so I didn't come up with one myself. Instead, this one's from Fitness of all places... Chocolate Polenta Cake!! I mean come on, a dessert with 120 calories and 4g protein per serving? Not that i didn't have two... oops :)

looks like someone didn't fold things together all that well!

Ok, so the recipe... a little strange, as it has you beat egg whites and eggs... together... i don't think i did this step long enough, but i was tired (i think this why mine was kinda flat). But it tasted good so that's all that matters! Not too dense or too chocolaty, almost reminded me of a souffle? (I question that b/c i don't think i've had too many of those, either :)) Ok, without further ado:

what a lovely fuzzy picture

Chocolate Polenta Cake
Fitness, June 2005

1c plus 2T skim milk
2 1/2T polenta

2/3c semi-sweet choc chips

3T sugar
2 large eggs
4 large egg whites

1T unsweetened applesauce
1/2t baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium saucepan, over hi heat, bring milk to a boil then whisk in polenta (watch this if you really do have it on hi heat milk will boil over quickly!!). Lower heat and whisk constantly for 3-5min, until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

In med saucepan, melt choclate over very low heat. Stir in polenta mixture, then set aside. (I actually did this in a double broiler b/c of the next step--I just swapped out bowls)

In a bowl over simmering water, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and sugar until warm (you don't want to cook them!) Remove from heat and beat on hi until mixture is 6-8 times original volume.

Stir applesauce into chocolate mixture and mix well. Fold 1/5 of egg mixture into chocolate. Sprinkle with baking powder and gently combine. Slowly fold in remaining egg mixture 1/3 at a time. Pour batter into 8" square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 25-30min. Cool on a wire rack.

16 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, love how you used polenta in a sweet (rather than savory) recipe - brilliant!!

Bill said...

Incredible idea! Definitely creative!

Meg said...

Sounds good to me. I made a pumpkin polenta cake and loved it. Maybe we can combine our recipes to make a chocolate pumpkin polenta cake.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's amazing!! I never knew that polenta could be used in a cake! I'm definitely flagging this :o)

Maggie M. said...

Okay, that's awesome. I have never cooked with polenta and I have to figure out something cool now for the BSI. Your recipe is so cool.

Anonymous said...

oh wow!! what a creative and original idea! it looks really yum too :D

Adam said...

Well you destroyed the box on that one, very cool :) I never would of thought polenta could go to the sweet side

Anonymous said...

great idea for the polenta and it looks so good. It doesnt seem like it would make very much tho... how many bars did u get ot of that?

Unknown said...

oops, i forgot to mention that I cut them into 9 bars for the nutrition information I mentioned, but you can do whatever floats your boat :) It really should be higher (I miss-read the directions at the beating egg stage), so the portions will look more substantial when you do it right!

Unknown said...

very interesting! I've been wanting to try polenta cookies.

Fitnessista said...

that looks wonderful!!!! adding this to my favorites riiiight now...
happy friday!

alexandra's kitchen said...

I have several recipes for cakes that require polenta and have yet to make them. i think they might be quite common in Italy. this sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

That's completely innovative! I love it! I think I'll try something sweet for mine too. :)

Anonymous said...

I was hoping that someone would do a polenta dessert! I saw a few polenta cakes on Cooking Light. Good job.

Esi said...

Ooh, I love polenta with chocolate. I did cookies a while ago. As long as it tastes good, that's all that matters :)

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

ooooooooooooh!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips