Friday, September 5, 2008

Avocado Pie

The great thing about cooking all week? The one night you get home and are starving... you have leftovers!! Instead I bring you a surprising and refreshing dessert :) Have you had your MUFA's (monounsaturated fatty acids--they're the good ones) today? At some point I was trying to think of something else to do with some ripe avocados-- I'd done the guacamole, spread it on some toast, even thrown it in my sandwhich.

Low and behold I came across a recipe for Jagger Pie from Nicole over at Pinch My Salt. It's probably evident already that I like to try things that might seem unique, so this definately was calling my name. My plan: to call it 'Frog Pie' and see if anyone could name the secret ingredient!


Verdict: Delish! And no one guessed that they were having avocado for dessert. Very light and it couldn't be easier to prepare. Last time I garnished it with kiwi slices, which provided a nice contrast of texture. Have fun with this one :)

Jagger Pie (or Avocado Pie)
Pinch My Salt

1 prepared graham cracker crust (who knew Arrowhead Mills makes them? you could also make your own, using brown sugar instead of white)
1 ripe avocado
1 can fat free sweetened condensed milk
3.5oz fresh sqeezed lemon and/or lime juice (both times I've done a mix of the two)

Blend/process avocado and sweetened condensed milk. Fold in lemon/lime juice, then pour (rather quickly) into crust. Refrigerate at least 3hrs before serving.

8 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

This just goes to show how unbelievably versatile avocados are. I've tried them in a smoothie before, but never a pie. I'm game though!

HangryPants said...

That is so cool! Never even seen anything like that!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Such an intriguing pie variety!

Unknown said...

Very creative... looks yummy!

Samantha said...

That is the coolest pie!!! I am going to have to try that one for myself.

Anonymous said...

Yay! So glad you liked this enough to write a post about it! It's always been a family favorite and I love introducing new people to the recipe! I've never used fat free sweetened condensed milk but it's good to know that it works!

Christine said...

I've heard of avocado milkshakes and pudding before, but not pie! It does look very tasty.

Tara the Foodie said...

Boy, this is definitely a pie I've never heard of! Very cool!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips